Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Medical research for SF?

Author Topic: Medical research for SF?
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still beating on my WIP about the telepath who is a doctor. Looking for sources to research medicine in the future to come up with fab ideas and a sort or realistic extrapolation of medical tech in the future.

This is also combined with a sort of frontier setting where although the civilization has fabulous medical technology, maybe the main characters won't have access to it all being that they are on a frontier colony where everything has to be shipped in. And I need to know where the logical places to cut corners are in care, treatment etc.... I can think of some, but I want to know about what I haven't though of. If you get my drift.

Any ideas where I could do research? Other fiction books, internet sites etc...

My ability to do book is limited by being in a non-english speaking country, if I can't get it on Amazon.jp I probably can't access it.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
NASA. What they do now might be commonplace in the future.

http://www.nasa.gov/centers/glenn/moonandmars/med.html

That's one link. There might be others (NASA have a complex network of websites) -- try a search on nasa mdical reserch.

Or maybe search medical university websites.

And, of course, don't forget nanobots injected into the bloodstream.

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm currently reading a 19th century novel. At times I've noticed the vast gulf in medical understanding between what is common knowledge today and the way the author describes the maladies of his time.

Given this difference, I suspect that an SF story's medical technology can be as fantastic as you like providing the society and culture you depict faithfully reflects such a level of medical knowledge.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

Thanks Talespinner,...

The only thing I found really useful was the thing about bouncing light off the inside of one's eye to diagnose totally unrelated illnesses in their early stages. Using some sort of eyescanner as a routine form of diagnostic sounds like a neat idea!

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I have some ideas of where medicine is moving, and of course I am happy to share.

The first one is instead of using a crash cart and CPR for recessitation they will use cooling blankets and lower the blood temperature (under careful control). They are already doing this for some heart attack victims with great results.

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/health/9017175/detail.html

I think this will replace CPR in the next ten years.

Also, I think serious bleeding will be treated by freeze dried clotting agents. They use this now for people with certain types of hemophilia (coagulation therapy). I can see in the future rubbing a little dried clotting agents on a cut to stop the bleeding instead of using bandages.

This one is a long shot, but scientists are working on antisense or interference RNA (iRNA) as a drug. This would be amazing if they can get it to work with the potential of treating any bacterial or viral infection as well as cancer.

The theory behind it is that you can target any gene in any orgainism and shut it down post-transcription by delivering an RNA strand that is complimentary to the messanger RNA (mRNA) strand. This prevents the mRNA from making its specific protein. So if you shut down the production of an essential protein, the cell or virus will essentially die.

Another important change in medicine that is coming is that we will be able to screen our genes for any inherited disorders or predispositions for certain diseases. So essentially in the future at birth you will know if you will have heart disease, alzhiemers, certain cancers, etc. Because of this, I think that medicine will shift to more preventative care. If you want more info on this google the human genome project.

If any of these ideas seem interesting, you can google with the key words and I am sure you can find a lot of information on them.

[This message has been edited by MAP (edited June 26, 2009).]

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TaleSpinner
Member # 5638

- posted      Profile for TaleSpinner   Email TaleSpinner         Edit/Delete Post 
A couple of links on medical SF which might be interesting:

http://www.technovelgy.com/ct/Science_List_Detail.asp?BT=Medical
http://www.sff.net/people/asinclair/medscifi.html

Posts: 1796 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

Oh, Thanks for more....

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.