Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Recommendations?

Author Topic: Recommendations?
MGillaspy
Member # 8681

- posted      Profile for MGillaspy   Email MGillaspy         Edit/Delete Post 
I have just recently started writing. I think most of the technique I have comes from mimicry of authors I’ve read and enjoyed. But the problem I run into with this is I don’t understand why those authors are doing what they’re doing. I keep seeing posts that say to learn the rules before you break them. So does anyone know of any books or websites that talk about rules and techniques for writing? I have OSC’s book about writing SF/Fantasy, but would love to get some other recommendations. Thanks!

~MG

Posts: 6 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Betsy Hammer
Member # 8139

- posted      Profile for Betsy Hammer   Email Betsy Hammer         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC's other book, Character and Viewpoint, is the best book I've ever come across to learn storytelling. Everything you're saying is exactly how I felt before I read it. I felt like I had great intuition (I was sensitive to what was good and what wasn't), but I didn't know how to make it happen on my own.

Also, I know I learned a lot more from critiquing other people's work than from having my own done. You should read the book, and then start applying the three questions he talks about(Oh yeah? so what? Huh?)to every thing you read. I can tell from the first 13 you posted that it's all gonna click for you any second. You're there, dude.

Posts: 316 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
arriki
Member # 3079

- posted      Profile for arriki   Email arriki         Edit/Delete Post 
Self-editing For Fiction Writers -- Browne and King
Scene and Structure -- Jack Bickham
The 3rd Act -- Drew Yanno
Story -- Robert Mckee (screenwriting text but very inisghtful for fiction, too.

Posts: 1580 | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I just started Self-Editing for Fiction Writers. Looks like a really good one so far.

You can never go wrong with the classics.

Zinsser, On Writing Well
Strunk and White, Elements of Style.

Of course, OSC's Character and Viewpoint

One thing I have noticed is that most of the really good books on writing tend to be short.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Strunk and White, Elements of Style.

OSC, Character and Viewpoint

OSC, How to Write Science Fiction and Fantasy

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing to the Point and What a Story Is by Algis Budrys

Robert McKee: Story: Substance, Structure, Style, and the Principles of Screenwriting

Albert Zuckerman: Writing the Blockbuster Novel

Donald Maas: Writing the Breakout Novel

Renni Brown and Dave King: Self-editing for Fiction Writers

Sol Stein: Stein on Writing

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
A.Windt
Member # 8687

- posted      Profile for A.Windt   Email A.Windt         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC, Character and Viewpoint
Stein, Stein On Writing

these helped me alot. i really love both books and re-read them occassionally. great work.

Posts: 5 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
The following websites were helpful to me when I returned to writing and wanted to try and understand structure.
* Simon Haynes' articles on writing,
* Randy Ingermanson's articles on scenes and novel structure and
* Sites I googled regarding three act structure proved useful (whether or not I adhere to it).

[This message has been edited by BenM (edited June 28, 2009).]

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Most books on writing are a waste of time. Having said that, I must admit that OSC's, Character and Viewpoint, is a keeper. It would be the first, and only, book I'd give someone who asked about learning to write.

I'm biased, though. I think all stories begin and end with character/motivation, and I tend not to focus much on plot/concept. I like characters, and I just put them in situations that I'd be too scared to be involved with in the first place (like dating, and, you know, actual living).

Seriously, Character and Viewpoint, is a good one, but don't get too bogged down in "how to" books. Read a lot, and read a lot of the classics, whether it be literary or genre. That way you'll know what's come before you, and you can crib from the best.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought I learned a lot from Dean Koontz's How to Write Best Selling Fiction---I'm not sure of the title right now, as I only had a library copy to go by, and it's long out of print, I think---I learned a lot, though I'm not a particularly big fan of Koontz's other writings...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Practice. Take literature classes and begin to understand symbolism and metaphor and foreshadowing and theme. Practice some more. If you write short stories, read J.D. Salinger's Nine Stories twice. Read Harlan Ellison's Deathbird Stories twice. Practice some more. Read like a mad person. Keep practicing.

You don't actually have to read any books on how to write.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, remember one of Gene Wolfe's comments.... Paraphrasing: An idea for a story is an idea for an ending. Most people don't have ideas for stories, they have ideas for situations. If you don't know the ending, you don't have a story.
Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.