Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » First-Person POV in Urban Fantasy

Author Topic: First-Person POV in Urban Fantasy
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Reading Neil Gaiman's Fragile Things reminded me most of the published urban fantasy stories (short and long) I've read are in first-person POV. As far as I know, this POV is rarely used in long-form science fiction and other types of fantasy.

So, why is first-person POV effective in both forms of urban fantasy?

Note: Let's use one definition of "urban fantasy", also known as “contemporary fantasy”, in this thread to minimize confusion. According to Writer’s Digest, urban fantasy is “a fantasy tale in which magical powers and characters appear in an otherwise normal modern context".

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd hazard a guess that first person works well in contemporary settings because the narrator exists in the contemporary world of the reader. In contrast I imagine a first person account from the future is a larger hurdle to overcome towards suspension of disbelief.

Just a guess.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Troy
Member # 2640

- posted      Profile for Troy   Email Troy         Edit/Delete Post 
Neil Gaiman learned to write by reading Zelazny and Wolfe -- who carried over the influence of writers who came before them. Newer writers are learning to write by reading people like reading Neil Gaiman and Steven Brust. The cycle goes on....

I think it has less to do, specifically, with the genre, and more to do with the writers and influences that have shaped that genre.

Posts: 214 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Troy. I wonder if first person POV is becoming popular in general. I have been reading a lot of YA fiction lately, and all of it seems to be in first person not just the urban fantasy. The fantasy novel POISON STUDY was first person and so was HUNGER GAMES (Scifi). There are more but those were just the two off the top of my head.
Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Troy, the influence of older writers must be a factor, one I hadn’t thought of before. However, I don't think influence explains everything.

Older writers prefer (or preferred) first-person for a reason. They sold stories with it. So, why does it work?

I'm thinking it has something to with what BenM wrote. Readers can identify with some of the settings and situations. Even the monsters are somewhat familiar, because we all grew up hearing of vampires, fairies, and the like. There's also a strong human element; we can sympathize with the POV characters. They often struggle to reconcile what’s familiar to us and them (e.g., living in the mortal world or going to work) with the unfamiliar. The focus isn’t on technology or the culture of people we’ve never heard of before.

MAP, I thought of two examples to add to yours: Warren Hammond's Kop and Ex-Kop. They are mystery sci-fi, recently-published, and told in first-person.

Whatever elements accommodated first-person in urban fantasy must be occurring in other types of stories, as well. Is it a strong focus on one character’s development?

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Grammatical person, number, tone, tense, and psychic access comprise a narrative point of view. Third person singular, objective, past present, psychic access limited to one character predominates. Second in frequency, historically or in present-day, comes first person singular, subjective, variable past or present tenses, psychic access limited to the narrator's thoughts.

Tone's attribute of attitude toward a theme often distinguishes first person from third person. A subjective narrator evaluates, ponders, judges, approves, or condemns a story's motifs, theme, and/or circumstances. A theme unifies a subjective tone with an at times objective portrayal of other circumstances. How and why first-person narrators function in Urban Fantasy has much to do with tone.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I would agree, going on to suggest first person is also very common in YA literature for much the same reason. I believe its subjective tone allows young readers with limited comprehension skills to more easily interpret and understand content as the narrator can explain events. In contrast a purely objective, transparent third person narrator leaves all interpretation up to the reader and so requires a far better grasp of reading comprehension.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BoredCrow
Member # 5675

- posted      Profile for BoredCrow   Email BoredCrow         Edit/Delete Post 
For the portion of urban fantasy that deals with the multitude of vampire/werewolf/demon slayers, and vampire/werewolf/demon/witch heroines, there is a whole section of these Heroines With An Attitude. In such cases, snarky inner references work quite well in first person.

So, for the type of books I describe, it makes sense to be first-person. Think Laurell K. Hamilton, and several others whose names I can never remember.

(full disclosure: I have an urban fantasy snarky heroine. But she lives in the future!)

[This message has been edited by BoredCrow (edited July 20, 2009).]

Posts: 554 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
A narrative point of view and a character point of view are sometimes indistinguishably the same thing, sometimes discernibly different things. That's where psychic access comes into play, which character(s) thoughts are accessible to a narrator.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

Okay, I'm going to paraphrase. First-person combines the POV character and narrator. This results in greater psychic access to that character. Psychic access allows the POV character / narrator to (1) interpret events so readers don't need to interpret actions themselves and (2) express a strong personality through thought as well as dialogue and action.

Therefore, a writer skilled in first-person can simplify the reading and characterization processes. Writers in urban fantasy develop the skill because they were influenced by their predecessors.

Urban fantasy writers may also use first-person to make fantasy elements fit more believably in the real world. As extrinsic wrote last Autumn in another thread on first-person, a firsthand account "possesses more authenticity for it than a remoter third-person's account might."

Thank you. I kept asking myself the original question and couldn't find an answer on my own. This discussion helped.

[This message has been edited by aspirit (edited July 22, 2009).]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.