Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You write? 09-21-09

Author Topic: Did You write? 09-21-09
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You write? 09-21-09

WOOOO! Hooo! Another week has ended, Were you ready for it?
The hope is that you see this note coming and you get yourself to write something, anything, so you can proudly report that you actually wrote something this week. Of course, you are encouraged to tell about your failures for the week, and otherwise tell about what is going on in your life.
While we always look at the original writing, fresh writing as writing. Editing is the key part of writing. There are times where I write by editing, rather than starting with something fresh. Because of this, Editing is writing.
Other things that people may or might not consider writing is Poetry, article writing, blogging, World or character creation, if something gets on paper, writing assignments, and even E-mails, as long as they are wordy and pertain to a story or writing. There are others that might fit, and some that might not. It is more whether you want to report it as writing. Anything that will let you claim success is worth the try.

AS for me. I did write. I worked deeper into my Waxy Dragon Birth story. I added four pages and 2500 words to it and I am still in editing mode. I am filling in some story details that effect later stories in the listings. I am also working out details of a second story to be written right after this one.
In the series, I have a lot of things hinted at, but not detailed. The story I will write after this that will add a lot of those details. I am getting excited.
AS for the story I am writing, I am getting close to added a whole bunch of new scenes in between what I have. That will be fun. I now see the 50 pages to be short. I would not be shocked it ending at 70 pages.

On the story ideas, I am running one idea behind right now. I did have a chance to catch up that one story idea this weekend, but mis-read what day it was and lost the chance because I was thinking I had somehow caught up. I have all week to get caught up so I am not worried.
I have 40 story ideas in my compost pile, including the one I wrote tonight. Only the top ideas really change, which is why it is a compost pile. Some on the bottom are a couple years old already.
I had a period where I was digging deeper into the pile because new ideas were not coming. This weekend, I had a blast of ideas, something like five of them all at one time and that helped. I have gotten a few more since.
Because I don't know the true source of the story ideas, I always start to worry when the new ideas stop coming. Several years ago, I had a stretch of a month or so where I got no ideas at all. In reply to a note I was complaining about that, someone wrote some suggestions based on my compost pile. I wrote those and suddenly I was full of story ideas.
Because I don't know where the ides come from or the nature of the inspiration, I get excited about big weeks with loads of new ideas and worry when they don't show up.
Something I hate is like this weekend. In one day, I came up with two really good story ideas. Because I did not have paper nearby, I never wrote them down and they are gone, most likely permanently.

I got a new DVD writer. My CD writer had locked up. This DVD writer has problem where when it plays a DVD, I don't get sound. I have to do some searching for a solution. I can swap parts but there are those cute little tricks that I never figure out. At least now I can view them.

In my wood turning, I somehow am in a period where everything is going good. I get those some times.
I will have a period of time where everything I do works out beautifully. I show some real skill. It then goes away and I cannot do anything right. Like my story ideas, I have no idea when I get wonderful periods like that. they never come more that twice a year. Once a year is normal.
I picked up a couple swans at a yard sale, and I decided to copy them for this year's Christmas ornaments. I try to do four sets each year. I don't always get to make that many. The ones I am copying are assembled, several pieces, while the ones I am making are one piece and a bit smaller. I am stealing the concept of them. Mine are all hand made.

AS to the question of the week.

YES I DID WRITE.

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
What sort of turning do you do? Yes, I do wood turning, bowl and spindle. My preference is for segmented bowls, vases, urns built up out of domestic and exotic soft and hardwoods in geometrically decorative ways. Purpleheart and maple accents on sapele and walnut bodies are the most popular artware I make and sell.

As metaphor for writing I find woodworking personally meaningful. Bowls as foot-beginning, body-middle, lip-ending. And yes, I did write, turn, write, turn, write, work.

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely wrote, though I can't say how much. Doing lots of revision and rewriting and really excited about the new direction I'm taking my story.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote, mostly revisions to my supposedly completed WIP. I really have to convince myself to put that away for awhile. But I've got so many ideas!
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Architectus
Member # 8809

- posted      Profile for Architectus   Email Architectus         Edit/Delete Post 
This week? That's not good enough. I try to write six days a week, and I am usually faithful to that.
Posts: 161 | Registered: Sep 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
extrinsic

quote:
What sort of turning do you do? Yes, I do wood turning, bowl and spindle. My preference is for segmented bowls, vases, urns built up out of domestic and exotic soft and hardwoods in geometrically decorative ways. Purpleheart and maple accents on sapele and walnut bodies are the most popular artware I make and sell.
As metaphor for writing I find woodworking personally meaningful. Bowls as foot-beginning, body-middle, lip-ending. And yes, I did write, turn, write, turn, write, work.

You can see some pictures of me and, looking around the work of others in my wood turning club meeting, see pictures of my stuff. These are all done about the time I did them, all need more time in finishing but I did not want to wait a whole nother month to show them.

http://allnews.yuku.com/topic/532

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Except for some revising on Thursday, a complete washout. That thing called "real life" kind of intruded. Also that thing called "I'd rather watch / listen to this on DVD / TV / CD than write."

I'm hopeful for later today...but am about to be consumed by my October vacation, where I "get away from it all," and "it all" means not only my writing, but my computer---I don't take one with me.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I've been working on my notes for NaNoWriMo and doing extensive character development. I also wrote one opening test scene but realized that it doesn't set the right tone. I am starting to get to know the characters though.

After a pen and paper brainstorming session with my boyfriend and having to type it all in the next day I have ordered a Netbook. It's smaller than a standard size piece of paper and I opted for 2GB of ram. Now I'll be able to get out of this room and go to Buckys, the park, or wherever to write. Hopefully it will help keep my sanity during NaNo.

rstegman, you mentioned the ideas you had that you lost because you didn't have pen and paper. Do you have a cell phone? I've been in the same situation and used the voice recorder on my cell phone or mp3 player to save the ideas. You could also call your answering machine at home and leave yourself a message. Just a thought.

So yes, I did write. It was all pre-work but I'm starting to learn the value of that.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ScardeyDog
Member # 8707

- posted      Profile for ScardeyDog   Email ScardeyDog         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did. Some editing in my future for next week, and hopefully planning for NaNo.
Posts: 238 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RillSoji
Member # 1920

- posted      Profile for RillSoji   Email RillSoji         Edit/Delete Post 
I did a lot of reading but no writing this week. Traveling to visit family leaves very little time for dedicated writing. X.X
Posts: 125 | Registered: Feb 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tricia V
Member # 6324

- posted      Profile for Tricia V   Email Tricia V         Edit/Delete Post 
I did some writing this week, but I am kind of in a slump. I'm thinking it might be better to just let the slump be a slump, biorhythms and all that. I think one problem I get into with writing when I really am in a funk is my writing gets funky. I think I will work on getting all my handwritten manuscript entered and then take stock on where I am with this work, which is probably best termed a collection of personal essays/stories.
Posts: 104 | Registered: Sep 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.