Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » SF terminology and cliche ownership question

Author Topic: SF terminology and cliche ownership question
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I sent some pages of my WIP to my best reader (who happens to also be my mother) for critique and she came back at me with something she felt might be a problem. I want a second and maybe third opinion on this before I go on, so if I need to change it I can do it now.

I want to use the term 'navigator' to describe the entities (AI cyborgs really)who pilot interstellar starships to their destination. My mother gets hung up on Frank Herbert's Dune when she hears this (even though she's never read it, only seen that lousy 1983 movie)even though I am going out of my way to describe them in terms that make them unique to my universe.

Opinions? Do I need to change? Paint the pink elephant in the room a different color?

Here's my argument in favor of retaining it:

I think the universally accurate terminology for a person or entity who guides a ship anywhere, including through hyperspace, basically telling you how to get from point a to B would be the term 'navigator'or 'astronavigator'. Seeing how we rely on the english language and navy terminology to describe anything having to do with spaceflight. The later is a mouthful, and I think they would utilize something under 7 syllables as a verbal shorthand when referring to these things.

I'm sticking with the tried and true hyperspace FTL for my story, which jumps back and forth among a couple different worlds with the same characters, mainly 'cause I don't want it to be the focus of my story. Said interstellar spaceflight is mostly monopolized and controled by a quasi-military organization, though that is slowly changing.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
A single commonly used term cannot be copyrighted. If it's in a dictionary of a language's definitions as a widely used generic term, it's fair game. Navigator certainly doesn't belong to anyone. On another tack, astrogator is a widely used term in the fantastical genres. Astronautics, astro navigation. I've also seen astral pilot used.

Different approach, Anne McCaffrey's dragons traveled "between." A commonly used word, but unique to the milieu in its meaning. I don't think an audience would appreciate a similar usage by another writer. However, its meaning is somewhat similar to how a rapidly rotating object, say an octagonally shaped blank on a lathe, has open spaces between matter that are there, but I wouldn't to reach into the between, not rotating at 1500 rpm.

Tween is a Middle English term for between, also used in animation software for between-frames rendered by the software between key frames. Tween has other meanings. Tweens, the ages between single digit years and teenage, ten to twelve years old. The ages between age of majority and alcohol consumption age, eighteen to twenty. Tweeners! Tweenagers!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astrogation

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited October 15, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Keep the elephant pink if you really want to use Navy terminology. I don't think it's a problem, because it's generic (more like gray than pink). If an editor willing to buy your story disagrees, then choose a different term.
Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Using navigator is no different than using captain, first officer, pilot, engineer etc. There is no reason not to use it.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:U.S._Navy_slang

An interesting collection of Navy slang for its colorful richness. I'm partial to "All ahead Bendix." Unique etymology. And from hearing the command on warship bridges and in training simulations.

There's only two chairs on a Navy warship's bridge and neither is supposed to be sat in unless under extreme battle duress, and even then honor precludes sitting in one. The OOD's chair and the Captain's chair. Everyone stands watch attentatively on a warship's bridge. A rich tradition.

Building number-X, a support ship that rarely leaves a home dock or a mooring. I.e., Building 27.

I imagine a future quasimilitary milieu might have a similar slang language.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited October 15, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
OSC used the word 'ansible' which was invented by Ursula le Guinn, I believe. He even admitted it straight in the story (picked up from an old book). And that is made up word. 'Navigator' is a common word. I see no reason not to use it.

Coming up with good synonyms can be hard work but I still decide to do it instead of looking up modern words for the same thing. It's part of the world building process for me.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Tolkien used "tweens" to indicate between age twenty and twenty-nine, at least in Hobbits.

"Teenager" itself wasn't coined until about 1940, I think...

There's the term "astrogator," to indicate piloting a spaceship, as opposed to a seaship...I saw it a lot in SF, but its use seemed to drop off in the late 1960s...I blame "Star Trek," which used "navigator."

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
I see absolutely nothing wrong with using the term navigator. I'm actually more likely to think of my dad, who was a navigator for the navy before he retired, than another sci-fi novel.

The only caveat I would have is that piloting (actually flying the ship) and navigating (reading the map, plotting the route) aren't the same thing, so if I were you I'd make sure the AI does both before calling it a navigator.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Another vote for keeping it. This is to me an example of a case where your best reader has an idea that you can feel free to smile and ignore.

I've never read Dune, but I'm hardly the only sci-fi fan who hasn't. And I wouldn't ever get a generic term like navigator tied to one author's series.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
If you really want, you could make an acronym out of it. Lots of military has acronyms. I guess it depends on what you want your readers to get, and how serious/central the navigators are:

Say the navigators are a new invention and nobody likes them:

Investigational
Dynamic
Interstellar
Operational
Task
System

See? Loads of fun!

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, guess I win the argument. I thought it was just standard english usage.
Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Using navigator is no different than using captain, first officer, pilot, engineer etc. There is no reason not to use it.

haha unless the said character does not actually navigate

But no, I agree with you completely.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
annepin
Member # 5952

- posted      Profile for annepin   Email annepin         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Keep the elephant pink

Whoa! I've never heard this phrase before. Not sure what it means, but it's awesome.

Posts: 2185 | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
"Keep the elephant pink" sounds like a good title for a story challenge.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.