Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Good Books for writing about medical stuffs!

Author Topic: Good Books for writing about medical stuffs!
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
for those of you who haven't followed my other posts I'm currently working on a SF novel with a medical slant. I want to pitch some good resources I've found that have helped me with the techical nitty gritty of my work aimed at writers.

I've been using these books for a while now, one for several years and the other for about a month:

Page, Dr. David. Body Trauma. CA: Behler
publications, 2nd ed. 2006.

I have several books in this series like Deadly Doses and Cause of Death. Best simple resource on how to injure people realistically in fiction. Also its much better written and is an enjoyable read, unlike the others, largely due to the author. I have lots of 'how to write' books and like the readable ones best.

I've used this for years, but I recently had to pick up a new copy because my old one is stuck back in the States. They've updated it since its last printing. with more juicy (or gory) tidbits.

Wilson, Dr. Keith and Dr. David Page. Code Blue. Writer's Digest Books, 2000.

Got this one cause I had the other. Unfortunately I think its dropped out of print and good luck finding one. I took one of the few being resold on Amazon.

While Body Trauma is a good handbook for all writers who may ever have to injure or kill off a character on the page, this book is a great resource for anyone who ever contemplates writing about doctors. Its got lots of interesting bits on how doctors are educated, how hospitals work, how records are handled etc... The best part is that the authors actually suceed in making what sounds like very dry info actually readably interesting (if you like medical stuffs that is), probably because its one of the same guys who did the previous book. The book also points you in all sorts of directions as to where the ethical and interpersonal conflicts are likely to be (plot opportunities, anyone?)

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
FYI - I'm an RN doing premed work, so anyone can email me with questions and I could be your "resource," either for direct questions or pointing you in the right direction.

quoiquecesoitAThotmail.com

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I have family who are doctors so if I need to know something I just ask them.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lyrajean
Member # 7664

- posted      Profile for Lyrajean           Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, I'm actually the progeny of 2 retired RNs, so if I'm ever uncertain of something I ask them. I've trained my Mom to be my 'good reader'. She gets fed all my stuff first.

But I can't always talk to them the instant I think of something (half a world away!) so the paper resources come in handy too.

Posts: 175 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.