Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Cry Baby

Author Topic: Cry Baby
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I am no Johnny Depp (movie reference), but wow. I just got emotional about a part of my short story that I am writing. I know at this stage in my career there is no way possible that the reader will pick up all the emotion in my head, but I really hope some of it creeped into the writing. So at risk of losing my man card for a while I thought I would ask--

Has anyone ever experienced actual emotion while bringing a scene or character to life?

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
A succinct reply
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Yep.

For me, engaging the emotion of the reader is part of what makes for the best type of story. Another is having the reader continue to think about a story long after they've finished reading. I think both have to be present in the process of writing the story to translate well to the reader.

I haven't quite figured out how to do both consistently, but it is a really great feeling when I hit on a part of this while writing. I feel it shows that my writing has grown well beyond what it was.

And once a story becomes that engaging, it is so easy to keep writing.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
yes, all the time. Its the only way I can get the emotion out of me and into the story.

An better yet, in my last novel I had the ultimate experience, one of my critiquers said that I brought him to tears. Now that was cool.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
Absolutely.What kind of writers would we be if we didn't?
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

quote:
one of my critiquers said that I brought him to tears

I humbly bow to you

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
My heart races at all the right places. That's when I know I've got it right.
Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
If it doesn't move me, how is it suppose to move anyone else?
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah. It's happened to me, but it only happens occasionally. I think it is a good thing. Just as satate says, if you can't get yourself laughing or crying, how do you expect others to.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited December 08, 2009).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I actually just finished writing a scene that left me near tears and decided that not much better I can do tonight. So forum checking and then off to bed.

So a definite Yup!

Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes,
I had a really tear jerker scene

where Bandor had run out of ammo for his two chain guns.

He had to decide whether to carry the useless weapons with him over the broken surface of an abandoned asteroid,

or leave them where he was, to rust away, unused.

It was so sad.....

I cried during the entire scene....

<g>

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
Poor Bandor.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I am a bit into horoscopes so I believe that me being a cancer ha something to do with it.

I often had such moments. For me writing is always an intellectual and emotional exercise.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
To a certain extent...if they're angry I tend to be angry and if they're sad I tend to be sad. Frightened and scared usually don't figure, as they're usually from them not knowing what's going on and I (usually) do have some idea.

One other thing...if my characters are tired and start yawning, I usually yawn too.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup.

But then again I cry while watching football highlights, and I don't even like football.

True story.

I think when I cry while I write it is a sign that the reader (probably) will feel about a third of the emotion I'm feeling. It will bring a few with a high water table to tears, but most people will just end up connecting to the characters a little stronger when the scene is finished.

I think when I write about love it is the same way. I really have to love my characters, and then the reader will care a little what happens to them.

One word of warning. Try not to get over dramatic, or try to force tears. It reads false. At least in my own writing.

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I've had scenes that actually hurt in my gut to write. I get very emotionally involved with my characters. And it does come through on the page. It's a good thing.

It shows that you care about what you're doing, and you can't ask the reader to care unless you do.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'll cop to this.

When writing my lone novel I had a character, a little girl, that was really being treated horribly by my other main character. I was overjoyed that I hit (what I thought) were all of the right emotional notes for a few scenes: his resentment and revultion towards her, her fearfullness and sense of loss of place & person. Moments after I finished writing that scene, the realization of what I was doing to this little girl really hit me hard, and I was quite shaken up by it. It didn't get better as the book went on. In reality, it got worse as I subjected her to worse things and became better at it.

Now, before I'm accused of writing child-abusive fiction, the abuse I'm talking about is almost strictly verbal, it makes sense in terms of story, and is resolved is a generally satisfactory way for all involved. It was just a little disturbing to realize what I was doing to a character I loved.

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I Cry When I Cut Onions, but that's a different story...

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited December 08, 2009).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Papercuts get me every time.

But, seriously, in both Pocket Change and Purpose I had those spots. They were both personal stories--the children in both represent my own.

[This message has been edited by InarticulateBabbler (edited December 08, 2009).]

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
I wrote a flash fiction piece about an abandoned child that brought me to tears as I wrote. There was a chapter towards the end of "One Second After" that made my eyes leak as well.

quote:
It was just a little disturbing to realize what I was doing to a character I loved.

Isn't that what us writers are supposed to do? Create characters we absolutely love and then torture the living crap out of them?

[This message has been edited by Rhaythe (edited December 08, 2009).]

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
It's still hard, Rhaythe. At times, I avoid writing certain scenes, because I feel that as long as they go unwritten, there is a chance I'll think of an alternative way to progress the story without torturing my characters. In the end, though, I either write the scenes or my story dies. That's a worse fate for the characters.

While writing, I cry, laugh, groan, and otherwise react to each scene. I'll hold silent, unwritten conversations with my characters that are less about story development and more about my wanting to spend time with them. I can't imagine how anyone could work for weeks, months, or years on a project without experiencing actual emotion from it.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MrsBrown
Member # 5195

- posted      Profile for MrsBrown   Email MrsBrown         Edit/Delete Post 
"Real" men aren't afraid of emotion. Its one of the things I respect the most in my husband. Keep that card, Dark Warrior!

When my story made my mother-in-law cry, I knew I was getting somewhere with this writing thing. Funny thing is, it didn't feel that strong to ME. I had made up a situation, but she had lived through it (sort of). Her personal experience made it more powerful for her.

Posts: 785 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
No. Maybe I'm too new at this...
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

I am sure my writing can make a lot of people cry, but not for the reasons that I would want.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.