Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Thoughts on this?

Author Topic: Thoughts on this?
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
So I was reading various agency sites, and I found this:

http://www.maassagency.com/thismonth.html

"Stuff we are looking for this month." What surprised me was how SPECIFIC they are. They literally spell out the plot for a few of them. For instance:

"Earth has been at war for one hundred years. When peace comes, two commanders who were sworn enemies retire in the same town"

Is this them looking for something specific that people have written, or do they expect someone to write something prompted by this?

Seems very odd to me...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've followed Maass' "What We're Looking for This Month" for some time now. I interpret the listing of wants he posts as prompts skewed as advices to writers.

I also note that each of the listings currently posted is very similar to a "log line" incorporating Character, Idea, Milieu, Event, dilemma, thematic prompt, message prompt, etc., any one of which would serve as a part of a pitch in a query letter to interest an agent.

Agents take the pulse of the publishing market, sort of like a shopkeeper seeking what's on consumers' wish lists and asking producers to fulfill those wishes. In his off tangent way, Maass is doing that and projecting methods on how to appeal to agents.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited December 20, 2009).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
"Earth has been at war for one hundred years. When peace comes, two commanders who were sworn enemies retire in the same town"

This sounds like a mix between My Fellow Americans and Welcome to Mooseport.

I guess next week they are going to want a story about terrorists that try to take over a spaceship but are foiled when a lone space-cop, who is trying to repair his failing marriage, interferes with their plans.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
Maass does represent fantastical genres. What I've read of his comments here and there, he's open to considering just about anything novel-length fiction. Several of his associates consider creative nonfiction.
Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
My thoughts on this is that I can only write a story that excites me. The idea of selling a story, any story excites me, so if that is what he thinks will sell, then dang tootin I'm pulling out my keyboard and busting something out.

However it will take me a bit of time to write the spelled out story, and by the time I finish it, he will have moved on to "A Space Pirate and a Mermaid are enemies, but they secretly love each other...," so I might as well keep plugging a way at the stories that currently interest me.

I will also keep checking, so when he brings up dragons, I'll be the first in the pile.

Thanks for posting.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Sheena.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
My interpretation of this list is that it is outlining ideas where the personal conflict is central to the story, and the fantastic element either takes a back seat or serves as scenery and not necessarily the primary plot driver. These aren't intended to be prompts per se, but example ideas where the personal story comes first.

1. The two commanders could be cold war era submarine commanders, or WWII battlefield generals. Think Rommel & Patton sharing a white picket fence.

2. Do the children want to grow up? What is the personal implications for their society?

3. The alien is in love. Does he take her back with him? Does he sacrafice his love for the greater good?

4. How does the magic hold these people together? Are there interfaith marriages? How will they hold up? Mixed faith schools? Will long-standing personal relationships take a backseat to religious bigotry?

5. How would this martyr feel about what his country has lost? Did he think about this thing when he gave his life? Did his family or loved ones betray him by letting go off this thing?

I think that my point it clear - the agency is tossing out ideas that have the personal connection that they mentioned in the preface to these ideas - the human element. Of course they're probably going to be deluged with many copies of these exact plots that lack a human element or over-focus on the speculative element, and the writers will be confused because "it's exactly what they asked for!" And the cycle will continue.

Anyways, that's how Sue C's it.

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited December 23, 2009).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I just can't help but envision some stuffy meeting with agents and publishers...

Publishers:
Come on guys find us a So-and-So story. Polls are showing the market potential for this arent't there any in your ranks writing about so-and-so

Agents:
I have a great writer. In fact I have two of her manuscripts one is so-and-so but the MC is a man not a woman

Publishers;
That is nice and all, but the MC has to be a woman: Our customer surveys indicate that the market potential for a woman MC doing so-and-so is the direction in which we want to go

This seems great for those that write novels prolifically, I guess, but not for me yet. I just haven't got to that point in my writing I guess where I am trying to apease an agent with a novel MS. My one complete novel and two half-done novels are stories which have been stewing within me for a long time and have to be told my way. Whether I sell them or not I am sure depends on the markets and agent preferences but I am not yet willing to cater to them at this level.

Besides I cannot yet write, edit and submit a novel a month and for all I know the could be looking for aliens who make french toast next month and "Earth has been at war for one hundred years. When peace comes, two commanders who were sworn enemies retire in the same town" will be "SO last month" when I finally get it finished.

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.