Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Story finished

Author Topic: Story finished
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I've just finished a short story of mine. Well, I think it's more of a novelette, considering it's 13k+ in length.

This is my first original story, written completely in English. I've been practicing English writing in a fan fic for a year now (the bloody thing turned into a full-blown novel, but regretfully I can never publish it) and I believed to be ready for an original thing.

A week or two of editing and I will be posting the first 13 lines. I was thinking of posting my whole send-out submission process here (which publisher, possible rejection letters, etc.) to get the best from the experience of you fine people.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I love starting stories, and I love finishing them even more. Congrats.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
*Happy Dance.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Woohoo!
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I went through Duotrope's Digest's machinery and found a couple of companies I was interested to send this. After checking out all their official web pages, I see only one accepts e-mail submissions. I would have to send a package to every other one. Meaning I would most likely go broke sending it overseas.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lionhunter
Member # 8766

- posted      Profile for Lionhunter   Email Lionhunter         Edit/Delete Post 
Just a couple? I'm surprised. Well, considering it's 10k+, then maybe not. Although one could consider trimming it down to atleast 11k. There are pleeeeeeeeeenty of email sub markets. Sent mine almost 2 weeks ago, still waiting for an answer. Not very big though, just 2500. And for the next one, which i'm stuck at 2500, might reach 5000+, i already have a market in mind.
Posts: 83 | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Not to give myself more competition, but go ahead and try entering in the WOTF next quarter...
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Congrats!

I know it's premature, but I'll read when you have it ready.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

I'm still in the process of revision. I'm struggling with my final university exams and I have a paper to write as well but I'm taking all the time I can to make this readable.

When it is ready, I will definitely post it in the short stories section.

MartinV
Member # 5512

quote:
Not to give myself more competition, but go ahead and try entering in the WOTF next quarter...

I'm actually thinking of trying that. I have just enought time to polish it.

MartinV
Member # 5512

quote:
A week or two of editing and I will be posting the first 13 lines.

Fine, so it was more of a month and a bit. The novelette is now at about 16,700 words and it looks more or less ready to be read. Some sentences may have a different structure in the end but I don't plan to change anything bigger.

I've been planning to send this to WOTF. Should I still post it here or would that not be the wisest of ideas?

BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a writing group for the next quarter's wotf here, if you're interested. Folks just email each other their stories and critiques so there's no chance of ruining the anonymity of your contest entry. Or maybe put up a synopsis or blurb in F&F, without the title, and offer to email it to interested critiquers?
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
As long as you don't identify that it is going to be a WOTF submission then you are fine.

You can always post it with a different title. The problem occurs when you say, "I, Jim Morrison will be submitting a story entitled 'Dragon's Teeth' to WOTF."

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.