Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » long, continuous, important... how?

Author Topic: long, continuous, important... how?
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
What do you suppose is the right way to handle a scene that represents a rather large amount of time with several very important (fairly exciting) parts, most of which are not particularly close together temporally? I'm hesitant to over-use the isolated "..." to denote a few hours passing, but I'm wondering how else to pull it off. It would also be somewhat bizarre to split this into multiple chapters since it is all about one fairly focused event.

Perhaps a description of the situation would be in order:
My MC is defending his candidacy to the National Academy in magic theory. This is kind of a Big Deal in this society, as successful defense grants full Citizenship (which is also a Big Deal) and it is extraordinarily rare for more than one person to be inducted in a year. The defense takes place as something akin to an oral examination by a panel of members of the academy, and can in theory be attended by anyone (and anyone is welcome to query the candidate). The defense takes something on the order of six hours, during which the candidate fields questions from the examiners on a variety of topics both related and unrelated to the candidate's field of expertise.

The important events that I want to occur in this chapter:

1. The examiners arrive, and there is some conflict over the unusual circumstances of the defense. One of them helped orchestrate the exam coming together very quickly, and one (hereafter known as "the skeptic") is upset at being dragged into it.
  2. The MC and MC_2 (supporting/kind-of-also-main character arrives with him), but MC_2 surprises MC by inviting MC's sister, a major act of support to the MC (she had been in hiding from everyone prior to this moment, and had vowed never again to speak with MC).
  3. Exam begins with a display by MC that amazes the skeptical examiner, involving a magical talent that MC can do that would be near-impossible for anyone else.
  4. Lots of very difficult questions are asked, MC does his best to answer them, finds this the difficult part of the defense. I don't want to go into extreme detail here. This takes about 3 to 4 hours, so obviously we don't follow it all. "For three hours, Grayson fended off question after question about theory he hadn't studied for years - from hyper-manifold figure tactics to the influence of the ancient Gaulish language on Valanian magical techniques in the first century P.E."
  5. MC is required to demonstrate original research or innovation, at which point he shows off a few cool inventions (related to magic), which appropriately blow away the examiners (particularly the skeptic).
  6. The panel discusses the defense and (spoiler!) the MC passes, with even the skeptic coming around to vote yes.

Though it may be hard to believe, they are all actually important events and (I think) all exciting to read. It would feel horrible to me to separate any of them into another chapter, as it would mean breaking up a set of events that are very tightly bound in location and time. If anything could be broken off, the first item is the best candidate, but that would break one of the plot points that the "skeptic" examiner literally finds out about the exam the night before (and is f-ing furious about it), and only agrees to come because he owes a favor to one of the other examiners.

I have only gotten through the first third or so of the chapter - it just feels like it could very easily go on for a long, long time. This isn't the climax of the novel, but it's the last thing to happen before the climax occurs. This event is the last part of the heroes' plan to fall into place before they can save the day in the climactic battle. (I swear it makes sense in context.)

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
If there are no logical breaks, which might destroy the tension, I'd probably keep it in the same chapter.

The issue is keeping the reader engaged. You need to continually build the tension and write the episode so that the reader becomes immersed in the session. If you can't do that, then you might consider breaking it up, but a reader will expect some kind of an arc in each chapter.

IMO, I'd plan on a single long chapter first and see how it reads. As an alternative you can write it both ways and expose it to readers to see what their opinions are. I think the secret is keeping the reader engaged for the whole episode.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
extrinsic
Member # 8019

- posted      Profile for extrinsic   Email extrinsic         Edit/Delete Post 
I've attended a few thesis defenses, initiation trials, craft guild examinations, and so on, plus other kinds of fitness and character examination sorts of things. The interesting ones were where there's passionate clashes of wills, the best ones were subtextual clashes where everyone was trying to be decorous, some present knew about the personalities in contention, some didn't, some were oblivious, but the tone, postures, and gestures were as revealing as the way the processes went on. I've also been on the hot seat more than a few times defending my interests, failed a few times too.

What I see with what's presented above is that it illustrates a character's self-efficacy, but not so much about what's at the core of the scene. Some private stakes, some small public stakes, but not a lot about how it connects and how it is in unity with the larger story. I don't especially see how the story outcome increases in doubt, what details the characters will learn from the defense that will lead to the outcome, nor the forces of antagonism in opposition increasing to lead into the climax, the three features I think are essential when a climax approaches.

A very similar scene is depicted in Thomas Harris' Hannibal. Hannibal Lecter as Dr. Fell is before a board of eminent culture scholars defending his qualifications for a position as curator of a collection of art and manuscripts. A nepotist skeptic doesn't want him to have the position, let alone permanently.

Lecter's presentation connects directly with his collision of wills with Pazzi, the cop who's decided he will sell Lecter to Verger so that Verger can exact his revenge. The appointment and motivations and challenges for the defense are set up earlier in the novel, revisted a time or two, and then takes place before a climactic scene, not the climax, that flows naturally from the defense into the climactic scene. It's not a long scene in time or word real estate, but it is crucial to the story, provides backstory and moves the story forward at a sharp pace, and is dynamic dramatic action.

[This message has been edited by extrinsic (edited January 08, 2010).]

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

quote:

What I see with what's presented above is that it illustrates a character's self-efficacy, but not so much about what's at the core of the scene. Some private stakes, some small public stakes, but not a lot about how it connects and how is is in unity with the larger story.

The brief synopsis above leaves out how this particular academic defense fits into the plot of the book as a whole - the stakes are rather large. There are indeed clashes of will, and the panel of examiners themselves have an interesting blend. One is very supportive (though maintaining appropriately rigorous decorum as an examiner). The second is an old professor of the MC who is pleased (although surprised) to see him, who is also known to be one of the most difficult examiners in the Academy. The third (only there b/c he owes a favor to the second) is opposed to just about everything about this defense; that it was insufficiently announced, that the MC wasn't known to him beforehand, and that the MC threatens the examiner's own status as the youngest person ever to be admitted to the Academy. This one (the skeptic) is determined throughout the exam to fail the MC, and comes very close to winning the battle - neither of the other two examiners will "save" the MC and he knows it.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

extrinsic - I was on the hot seat myself once also. The format of the exam is based loosely on the oral exam in mathematics I took back when I was fighting for a PhD. I failed that one by a hair (at least they told me I was close), and it ended up sending me along a very different career path.

I always thought the exam itself was an interesting setting; as done here it is sort of a fusion of that type of exam with a defense of dissertation, though instead of gaining a PhD you gain admittance as something similar to the Fellows of the Royal Society.

[This message has been edited by micmcd (edited January 08, 2010).]

extrinsic
Member # 8019

One feature that I see in common with what's presented and similar scenarios I've encountered is the potential for dramatic irony to drive tension. Readers are in the know, the protagonist and allied characters are not in on it, not entirely if at all, and the only one fully in the know is the villain of the scene, but even he doesn't fully realize all that's in play the way readers ought to, to drive tension. Dramatic irony doesn't have to be complicated or subtle. I think dramatic irony is more dynamic when it is subtended and complicated, though, but not too difficult to comprehend when a reader encounters it.

Dramatic irony raises potent suspense questions and empathy-worthy potentials. Readers know that a protagonist is approaching opposition before the protagonist. The who, what, when, where, why, and how suspense questions' potentials are manifold.

Edit: My most recent defense wasn't in a face-to-face setting, it was all done online. Application for a travel guide writing position. Writing samples, curriculum vitae, statement of intent, demonstrated knowledge of the region and familiarity with its attractions and with vendors, and other salient information. I passed the first two screenings, provided more information as requested, and placed second out of four finalists for one position. The screener had more affinity for the winner based on subjective criteria, willingness to be socially visited in a home setting. She was a total stranger to me, I offered to meet publicly first, but . . .

Posts: 6037 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

I think you're right - dramatic irony will be the driving force here. The reader knows that the MC has no particular interest in joining the academy; he's doing this b/c it is the only feasible way to gain full Citizenship in time to gain access to something that the "fate of the world" depends upon. It also happens to be the most difficult way to obtain that status.

The first examiner knows the MC's true motivation for undergoing the exam (and the stakes if the MC fails), but the second and third do not. And though the third examiner is actively trying to sink the MC's candidacy partly because of his own ego, he is also doing it out of a sense of duty to the Academy, and in so doing he is actively (albeit unknowingly) fighting to doom his country.

extrinsic
Member # 8019

To set up and increase complications of the political intrigue, might then a preceeding scene introduce the skeptic as a straw man for a caucus of the academy opposed to accepting the protagonist in any circumstance?

I'm reminded of a parlimentary tactic to pass a contentious act by abruptly calling a bill out of secret committee discussion, giving little formal advance notice of the pending vote, giving favorable legislators timely informal advance notice, and polling the vote in the middle of the night. The straw man is often a freshman or junior legislator with little political equity and constituent backing bucking for caucus and constituent recognition by toeing the party platform, in other words, expendable.

micmcd
Member # 7977

I hadn't thought of that scenario before. The main motivation I had for him was that the MC would be upstaging him unexpectedly, and him having a general opposition to having an academic unknown suddenly applying for membership to the Academy. Most of the Academy is unaware of this particular defense (one thing the skeptic objects to), though it was sufficiently announced to follow the letter of the law.

It could perhaps be the case that a faction of the Academy objects to the fast-tracking of the examination, and the only way the supporting examiner can win approval for the exam is to have that faction have one of their own as an examiner. In that case, though, it might seem almost just to have the skeptic somewhat humiliated by the protagonist -- I was planning on the skeptic being surprised, but still a determined (and worthy) adversary of the MC's admittance.

Setting up the opposition beforehand would be a great way to cut out a little of the chapter and still have the rest of it hold together.

Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Why not try writing it and see if it is interesting? I would worry less about the amount of time the exam takes rather than the events that occur. Who cares if it is six hours or one? Isn't this an unusual case in the first place? So just tell it and make it interesting.
Another thing, if you build up beforehand the gravity of this interview and the importance for the MC, the reader will be more engaged merely because they care about the MC. I refer you to the trial in Harry Potter (I think book 6?) where he is almost barred from magic and Dumbledore steps in and makes a defense for him. A hokey example, I know, but I think it was pulled off brilliantly, and by this time we had 5+ books to get involved in the MC, so we actually cared about the outcome of the trial...

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.