Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What science fiction writer are you? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: What science fiction writer are you?
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 

I remember reading the lensmen books quite a long time ago. All I remember now is that all of the men seemed to have mighty thews. Someday, I'm going to have to look up 'thews'.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited January 27, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, the "Lensman" saga...I remember 'em fairly well...but when I picked 'em up, I started, I think, with a book somewhere in the middle---"Galactic Patrol," I think, which started with the adventures of the main series character.

This wasn't as tightly organized a series as maybe some modern-day series would be. They were a bunch of SF magazine serials from the 1930s and 1940s pasted together as a series when they were published by one of the semi-pro SF book publishers that sprung up in the late 1940s. The book entitled "First Lensman" was written for this book-set publication. (If you ask me, the first volume, "Triplanetary," and the last, "Masters of the Vortex," were originally things that had little or nothing to do with the series, and were written into it with grafted-on material.) All in all, "Galactic Patrol" was probably a pretty good place to start reading it.

As I recall, too, there were a lot of complaints about how the magazine publications were better, because E. E. "Doc" Smith grafted material onto them all that "explained" what was going on, taking much of the mystery of it away. I can't vouch for that; I found them exciting as is---though I came to feel that destroying worlds inhabited by millions might produce feelings other than those on display in the books.

Frederik Pohl had an interesting commentary about "Doc" Smith on his blog; here it is, if the link works:

http://www.thewaythefutureblogs.com/2009/12/doc-skylark-smith/#comments

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
John Brunner
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
hteadx
Member # 6563

- posted      Profile for hteadx   Email hteadx         Edit/Delete Post 
I got Kurt Vonnegut...so it goes. It's an interesting quiz and if don't like who you got unfortunately the moment was structured so that you wouldn't be happy. Try to focus on happier moments. Poo-te-tweet?
Posts: 76 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Olaf Stapledon, standing outside the science fiction "field", he wrote fictional explorations of the futures of whole species and galaxies.

-----

Olaf...Stapledon? Oh yeah...good ol' OS...

Seriouly, that's a made up name, right? Right?

Great.

I haven't even started my writing career and I'm already obscure.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Olaf Stapledon? Not that obscure. I remember his Last and First Men and Last Men in London fondly...he wrote stuff in the 1920s and 1930s that was classified as science fiction, and was beloved and revered by writers like Arthur C. Clarke...but, apparently, did not learn of the existence of the science fiction field until the late 1940s.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.