Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Help please.

Author Topic: Help please.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
You know when you send an email to someone, and the address is wrong and the email returns?

Can someone find a returned email, and give me the exact wording? I've looked through my emails, and I think I have deleted any I received.

I'm looking for the undeliverable message, not any personal information. The computer form letter jargon.

Thanks in advance.
~Sheena
p.s. This is for a story, so it applies to writing in a general type way.

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
go to a dot com that you know only has one or two E-mail addresses, and type in a name to it. Use something like dumbDumb at hatrack.com and it should bounce back to you since that address never exists. or should not anyway. Then you will get the information you need. YOU could even type in the note you want to see in the story for the full effect.

Goodluck.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Just happened to still have something and I've sent it to you from a different email address.

Hope it helps.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you! That's it. I knew you guys could help.
~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Slight possibility of fail with the FakeAddress@DomainName.com - it is perfectly possible to register an email address as a "catch all" address. The most likely person to do this is the site admin, though it is less and less common these days. One of my friends had a catch-all address, which of course the rest of my friends and I used for hours of endless immature amusement. Rather than send emails to his actual address, Ben@DomainName.com, we would send it to AssHat@DomainName.com, AdultFilmDistributor@DomainName... and plenty of other things I'll refrain from posting here. Anyhow, if you send an email to DumbDumb at hatrack... or anywhere else, you might be sending an email to the admin. So, you know, someone might be reading what you're writing.

Incidentally, this is also an amusing game to play with the "for" line on checks, which is how I used to split rent with my roommates (one of us writes the check to the landlord, the rest of us write checks to him). This also works with paypal, as there is a subject line, but... well... beware. As it turns out, people actually read those (at least at paypal). If, hypothetically, you had been sending your roommate monthly rent payments with a subject line stating that the payment was for... sigh... various sexual services and/or adult-themed merchandise, your roommate might actually get his account suspended from paypal. Hilariously, of course, your account will be just fine. It turns out you aren't allowed to sell pron using paypal, and someone actually checks up on this from time to time (Not that often - it took about a year before this happened). And your roommate can get his account reinstated after calling someone at the company and explaining that his roommate has the sense of humor of a fourteen year old, but... well, that's all part of the fun, isn't it?

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I sent you something but it was returned.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
? me? just now?
Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.