Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WIP SF novelization by a quasi "Hatrack colleague"!

Author Topic: WIP SF novelization by a quasi "Hatrack colleague"!
Nathaniel Merrin
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Nathaniel Merrin   Email Nathaniel Merrin         Edit/Delete Post 
Short note. (Again don't know where to put this.)

Hey, writers. Our forum & workshop should welcome an honorary new member (well, of sorts) in the person of mister James Cameron, the former PUPIL OF <coughs> [...OK, OK, perhaps it was COLLABORATOR WITH...] um, Mr. OSC on The Abyss.

Anyway (on a more serious note), Cameron's authoring a book that, similar to the way The Abyss book did with regard the movie, is going to get into the characters and backstories of Avatar.

###

[EDITED. SECOND TAKE.] Maybe we should give James Cameron an honorary membership to our forum, seeing that he now intends to novelize Avatar apparently primarily by HIMSELF, having been schooled by the example of our own Mr. Card with The Abyss. [CLEARER?]

[This message has been edited by Nathaniel Merrin (edited February 18, 2010).]

Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I really don't know what to make of this. But regarding the novelisation, that seems a pretty normal franchising move for Hollywood, don't you think?
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
dude, seriously? Totally uncool. Don't waste my time with these one-off silly cryptic joke-things. It's not funny. Just say what you got to say clearly.

Post it in the Grist for the Mill where random stuff like this is meant to be.

And please make your title indicative of the subject: James Cameron to write Avatar novel.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
Come on billawaboy, give the new guy a break. He said he wasn't sure where to post it, so just politely suggest where you think it should be, and if he gets it moved, fine. If he doesn't and keeps it where it is, then wait to see if KDW agrees with you and moves it herself. She's pretty good at putting new folks straight.

Nathaniel,

It's funny you mention this because I just posted something about Brooks, and I believe he put THE PHANTOM MENACE into book form after the movie came out. Gee wiz, used to be the books made the movies, is the reverse about to take off?

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
As I see it, Edward, we tend to be fairly focused on writing in this forum, and posts that are confusing, misleading and random just undermine why we're here.

It's not usenet, or an otherwise unmoderated place for random silliness, and a new user can look at other posts to see whether people are making big attention-grabbing headlines and bizarre statements to gauge the tone of the forum.

I see nothing wrong with billawaboy's statement: if the author of the thread wants to get a feel for how this sort of post will be received my some members, now he knows. I must say I felt like responding in much the same way. But then, maybe billawaboy and I have different critiquing styles

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
What I hate is when movies are made off of books and then they make books off the movies. They did this with Polar Express, Where the Wild Things are and Jurassic Park.

Oh and Nathaniel, you're "I don't know where to post this" is getting annoying. It's like you're asking us to do you're work for you there are descriptions of each forum written under them. Read those and if you think your topic fits post it. (And yes, I think this should have been in grist for the mill.) Just post your stuff where you think it goes, if you're wrong you will be corrected, no big deal. We're not going to hit you with a big stick so stop putting your hands up.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited February 17, 2010).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, this topic could probably move to the Grist for the Mill area, but it's probably okay here, especially if it is going to discuss the idea of books from movies as opposed to movies from books.

Of course, it could also go in the Discussing Published Books and Hooks, come to think of it.

I may still move it depending on how it goes. If I do, it will close here, and there'll be a note from me telling y'all where to find it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nathaniel Merrin
Member # 9002

- posted      Profile for Nathaniel Merrin   Email Nathaniel Merrin         Edit/Delete Post 
I am experimenting with written voice but will do my best to lasso in these stray experimentations. "Grist"-'s DEK says it is about contributors' lives, so my lowbrow description of Mr. Cameron's determination to do the fleshing out of AVATAR'S charactizations and backstories (apparently HIMSELF, this time) would likely be best placed there. (I get it! "About Writing" is designated for more polished stuff.) Thanks!
Posts: 64 | Registered: Feb 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, not necessarily "polished" stuff, but stuff intended to help writers with their writing, in an "ask a general question about writing" way, as opposed to an "ask for feedback on a specific manuscript" way.

Discussions about someone else's published writing goes in the Published Books and Hooks area.

Announcements on sales and reviews of participants own work goes in the Publications and Reviews area.

The Grist for the Mill area is for things that happen to people that are not directly related to writing, but may be a source for ideas for stories (as in "it's all grist for the mill"). It's also for things that people want to share in their lives that have nothing to do with writing, but they want to share them because they feel they have friends here--or for things they just have to tell someone, anyone.

Anyone who has a question about where a topic should go can always email me about it.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
I think this is appropriate for this forum, Nathaniel just forgot the Jeopardy rule...put it in the form of a [writng] question.

If we don't allow for an expansion of the topics, Open Discussions About Writing will inevitably just keep re-churning the same old questions around.

Also, I see several different angles to come at this from:

• Does an Academy Award winning screenwriter/director have the ability to competently add the characterization and narrative to a novelzation of his or her own film?
  • Will this lead to other director/screenwriters writing their own novelizations?
  • Is is fair and just for James Cameron, George Lucas, Steven Spielberg, Joss Whedon, Andy and Lana Wachowski, Robert Rodriguez or Quentin Tarantino to use their names to sell novels, when we have to trudge through the slushpiles and endless rejections?

Many noveliazations of movies are a franchise decision--they chooe "name" authors to sell the book. I haven't seen a book turned into a movie whose novelization was by an entirely different author. The only thing close to this I've seen is with Jumper.

They changed Steven Gould's book, and hired him to write the movie-based sequel (based on a character who wasn't even in te first book).

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.