Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Pennwriter's Conference, May 14-16 Eden Resort

Author Topic: Pennwriter's Conference, May 14-16 Eden Resort
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Any Hatrackers planning on attending? I'm squeezing my budget to try and find a way to go.

Bonus - James Rollins (one of my favorite authors) is giving the keynote dinner speech.

http://www.pennwriters.com/Conference/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be a great conference to attend because it will give you a chance to meet and later submit to any of several editors and agents.

Conferences like this are one of the best ways for writers to network and to get past the "no-unsolicited submissions" problem.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

My thought exactly. My wife commented that I'm practically giddy with the idea of going to this.

Madam Powers-That-Be, what would you recommend on bringing to an event like this insofar as a portfolio? Or would it be best to leave something like that behind and just bring a smile and a hope?

[This message has been edited by Rhaythe (edited February 19, 2010).]

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
I have never been to a conference, but writing excuses did a podcast on it once. In general, I think you are supposed to bring a business card and a copy of your script. Leave the script in your room and if someone asks, you can send it to their room or meet up with them later. But hopefully someone with more experience will comment.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Business cards are great to take. Manuscripts can be a problem though. Editors and agents are there to meet lots of potential writers, but they can't take home manuscripts from all of them (especially with the cost of flying with extra luggage these days). They are much more likely to ask that you send them a manuscript later on.

I'd recommend taking partials, though, in case any one does actually want something from you. You might also want to take several copies of a query/pitch/treatment kind of write-up, to offer to the various editors and agents.

But not the whole manuscript--weighs too much.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
This would be cool. Wish I could say I'd be in the area at the time.

Do you think it would be okay to inquiry how to become an agent as well as pitching a script? I do not think I am qualified but still think that would be a cool career to get into.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

Thanks for the advice people. I took the plunge, forked over the funds, and I'll be there that weekend. Hope to see some Hatrackers there. Drop me a line if you plan on attending.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.