Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Script Frenzy

Author Topic: Script Frenzy
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Is anyone here going to try this?

The website is scriptfrenzy.org and the challenge is to write 100 pages of original scripted material during the month of April. I know absolutely nothing about screenplays, but I own a book that I think would make a marvelous movie. I'm probably not going to try and win this year, but I am hoping to start learning the ropes.

So, if any of you already know the ropes, would you be willing to share your knowledge with me?
Thanks!

[This message has been edited by Unwritten (edited March 01, 2010).]

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Check out Scriptshadow. It's a site that has links to scripts so you can download a couple and see how the format is supposed to go.

I wouldn't take the advice on Scriptshadow too much to heart, though. I post the link only as a service to see how scripts are written.

[This message has been edited by rich (edited March 01, 2010).]

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Thanks rich. That's the kind of thing I need to know.
Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
You can also get script-writing software (like Final Draft 7, which is the one I have a free demo version of, but I'm sure there are others) which automatically does the formatting for you.
Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Let me clarify when I say "formatting". I use Movie Magic 6, and it does all the technical formatting for me. However, when I mention formatting (and based on unwritten's OP) it's more in the way of how a screenplay is written than how it appears on the page.

No camera direction. Present tense. Descriptive without taking up much of the space. Short sentences. A lot of "white space", or, I think the fashionable term now is "vertical", as in in, "The screenplay was fantastic. Very vertical."

By the way, there are free programs out there, the most popular being Celtx.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Screenplay formatting is maddening because of all the different advice you will get.
I've written several.
Rewritten them more.
Very frustrating because Shane Black's "Lethal Weapon" was an Amazing screenplay to read but he breaks every single rule in the book that you will be browbeaten not to break.

-We see...
-Pan to this...
-Is this guy crazy? (addressing the screenplay reader)

I suggest to try not to get too frustrated with the formatting, (I just use Word btw) but it may not work. I think again it may be a case of if the story is great enough, the formatting won't matter. (i.e. Lethal Weapon)

Also pick up STORY by Robert McKee.
A good suggestion for novelists, but most especially screenplay writers.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

Yeah, axe brings up a good point. Read those screenplays that you can download, get a feel for it, but don't let anyone tell you HOW to write it. Like any writing, just follow the basic guidelines, and if the story's good enough, no one will care.

Unfortunately, everyone and their brother is writing a screenplay because it's so "easy". That means that the front line readers look for a few things right off the bat so my guidelines are:

1) Number of pages (90-120, though if your screenplay comes in at 90, they're going to automatically assume there's not enough story there, and if it's over 120, they won't even read it)
2) Excessive use of camera direction
3) Blocks of "dense" writing

In my experience, those are the few things you've gotta worry about. Well, that and the story, but you get the idea.

Kitti
Member # 7277

- posted      Profile for Kitti   Email Kitti         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However, when I mention formatting (and based on unwritten's OP) it's more in the way of how a screenplay is written than how it appears on the page.

Oh, I agree completely. You should read some screenplays before you write one of your own. I just mentioned the software because I find doing all the physical formatting stuff to be a pain. Sorry for any confusion.

Posts: 715 | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
WOW! I read this post earlier today and it awoke a monster. I have been writing a short techno-thriller novel over the past month and a half and nearly have it shored up. The funny thing was is that it is an expansion of a short story I wrote for 365 Tomorrow's entitled, Calendar Full of X'S

After it was published there was some discussion and even some FanFicabout it on the forum at 365 Tomorrows. A poster commented that they thought it would make a great movie, and I thought so at the time that I was writing it, but I had no idea of how to write a screenplay or where to submit one if I had so eventually I just decided upon a novel. But this thread inspired me. All the stars aligned, I guess and I went to the ScriptFrenzy or whtever the thing is called, which is like and actually associated wit NAMO. I found this out because I was trying to register to join and I couldn't because my password was already in use. Anyway, after sorting through all that mess, I started studying the MS format and just put four scenes down, about fourteen pages. So I am well on my way and excited. Writing screenplay really feels natural to me. I am really getting into it. Not bad for a half a day. So by the end of this month I will have a Novel and Screenplay MS for Calendar Full of X's that can gather dust in my filing cabinet til the end of days At least I will have fun and be able to say I did.

[This message has been edited by Bent Tree (edited March 03, 2010).]

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
There is a saying, "Page 70 is where screenplays go to die."

Don't let this happen to you!

It seems like you'll have no problem because you've already got the story figured out, but beware page 70 and be ready to push through it to the other end.

Another book suggestion for you: "The Heroes Journey" by Christopher Vogler.

Read this then watch a Pixar movie, you will be amazed. =)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
Scriptfrenzy has their help with formats:
http://scriptfrenzy.org/howtoformatascreenplay

Let's see basic advice given to me by my buddies- this only works if your trying to make the movie yourself or with a independent small group. If you plan to sells to big studios on the first try (and good luck with that, don't quit your day job) don't folow these guidelines:

First most Movies are 90-120min - keep it b/w 90-120 pages (basically 1 pg is 1 min); I dunno about tv shows, usually a lot snappy dialogue and scenes can eat up pages so you'll have to look that up

Second, To increase the saleability (i.e. get exec producers to fork over the money) we have to realize many first time scripts are made on a very very very tight budget - anything you can do to keep the costs down will make your script look more appealing to get made, especially if it's a good story, so:

1) Make it an Everyday modern time story that can be shot in nonspecific location - rooms or street. Specific locations means traveling - that costs money. Good Examples - a court drama, family drama, etc. Look at movies like reservoirs dogs or Pulp fiction or Blair Witch. All scenes are nonspecific locations.

2) Try to write scenes that take advantage of the standard 3-camera setup for most tvshows and movies - two people in scene, one cam on the R side , one on the L side, and one cam taking a medium shot taking the whole thing. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-camera_setup). Even better is it can be using only one camera or two. Save the camera tricks. No Matrix!

3) Keep it at 90 min - ie 90 pages

4) 4-6 characters max. No cast of thousands.

5) Think of your audience. Now think of the rating your movies will likely get - will your audience get to see it?

6) Do a 3 act structure beginning middle end

7) make sure there are several mini-shockers - keep the audience's interest in what will develop next.

8) uh... if I'll ask for more and add it later

time to head to class.

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

Thanks for the advice and inspiration. Is anyone else participating? If so, perhaps we could swap MS for crits.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

Bent Tree--I'm glad you've got so much enthusiasm for this project!

I might have something by the end. I've got a huge learning curve and not much time in April, so I doubt I'll finish. That doesn't mean we can't cheer each other on and learn from each other.

My project is not speculative at all. It's young adult historical fiction, and I've thought it would make a good movie since I was a kid. In fact, I'm surprised it hasn't been made into one yet.

Anyone else care to join us?

Unwritten
Member # 7960

Thank you everyone for the advice. I know so little about screenplays that some of it sounds like another language. You've given me lots to study and I'm sure it will all start making sense soon!
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

-Unwritten

Okay, so it is officially a suport group then. Let me know if I can help you in anyway. You have my email. We can either start a thread ing 'Groups' to see if anyone else wants to join or we can keep it in emails. I'll have to admit this month is going to be super busy with writing projects this month so I am not sure I want a 'BIG' group with lots of critting responsibilities, but at any rate we won't really be doing editing until next mont so I am receptive to go about it however you want.

About your comment about inexperience. I read my first screenplay the other day whin I found this thread so I am sureely in a similar situation, but essentially it is all just writing, which we are all reletively new at. I am taking this approach, "I am unsure of many things regarding screenplay writing such as, camera direction, formatting, etc... but I feel good about writing in general, so I am trying to get the story down on pages this month and then I will return to edit once I have told the story I want to tell, and I will have more experience and knowledge on the subject at that point."

So my advice to you is to do the same. Just get the story out and do your best in regard to the new style of formatting. The latter will fall in place at editing time.

Keep the drive alive!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.