Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » So, I have something to say...

Author Topic: So, I have something to say...
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I'm speaking to everyone. I have been sent a few comments and complaints about me not necessarily reviewing or critquing other's works, and for that, I am sorry. But hear me out: I am extremely busy with school still; I am in high school, a senior, and I have a senior project I am working on; several books, too, including classics and 'independent' study books, I am reading for English, and, on top of that, I have a job. I have my hands tied down to so much it's not even funny. I really want to contribute to this website and review but I just can't find the time. Plus, I don't think my review or critique would be of much importance anyway, for I don't know much and I see all these people sending these immense looking comments and i'm like: "should mine be that long? I don't know if i can do that," so I haven't really done much of that for reasons consisting of thinking people might just think i don't know what I'm talking about....I don't know, really, but I will try to get to some today and tomorrow, but if I don't, I truely am sorry, because I really do want to review other's writing on here. Thank you.

(and the stories i do put up here, they were already written when I wasn't up to my neck in work and school and they just need to be revised, which I usually do on my spare time; I haven't had much time to write much, either)
Also, I don't have internet at my house, so that makes it harder. I usually go to the library and use the internet there for one hour, which is all I'm given, and then I have to get off and read)

Again, I appolgize for not contributing much. I will very soon.

~Devon W~

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wolfe_boy
Member # 5456

- posted      Profile for Wolfe_boy   Email Wolfe_boy         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll own up to being the (likely) precipitating source of this post.

Hey Devon,

We all start out somewhere as writers, right? None of us come here as fully-formed professionals with loads of experience ready to share with others. Lord knows I didn't. I had an over-inflated sense of my own writing abilities, brought on by too many people, too close to me, too uneducated in the writing process giving me good feedback for too long. I came. I offered my stories for critique and learned from the replies I got back.

I think where I learned more, though, is from being brave and getting my voice out there as a critiquer. Looking at others writing for the mistakes I've been called on. Seeing what works for me and what doesn't. And then, being bold and making those same comments. It does take a certain amount of chutzpah to be a new writer with no credits under your belt, and criticize someone whose writing you can sense is better than your own. Regardless, it's important for several reasons:

1. Wisdom oftentimes comes from the mouths of babes.
2. Even if we aren't accomplished writers, we can often be (and regularly are) experienced readers, who know a good yarn from hopeless dreck.
3. Opinions are like elbows - we all come with a couple of them, and use them to fight amongst ourselves. Wait, did I have a point with this one?

Anyways, long story short, we value all opinions. Your voice (whether put forth in a long detailed critique or a short pithy dispatch denigrating someone's punctuation or use of adverbs in dialogue attribution) is an important addition to Hatrack. I spoke from my own experience of seeing too many authors come by Hatrack, submit a few stories for critique, and then vamoose into the ether again, leaving the critiquing equation unbalanced. We all understand that life gets in the way sometimes. Lord knows my own has recently - I haven't submitted anything for critique in months, if not a year.

I just wanted to encourage you to contribute as well as ask for contributions. No ill will bore here.

[This message has been edited by Wolfe_boy (edited March 08, 2010).]

Posts: 733 | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Zero
Member # 3619

- posted      Profile for Zero           Edit/Delete Post 
Wolfe is right.

But that said, if you don't have enough time you don't have enough time. I know exactly what that's like. Just look and see how long my chess game has been going.

Do what you can with what time you can spare and that will just have to be good enough for everyone else.

Posts: 2195 | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
HI Devon,

First off, welcome to hatrack. Glad to have you with us.

I think Wolfe might have summed up most of what I was going to say, so I will keep it brief. Above all else, don't feel that you have nothing to offer in regards to critting other's work. Even as a new writer, you have some intuition on what makes a good story or else you wouldn't want to write them. By critting other peoples work, you will also be able to improve your writing. By observing other peoples crits, you will learn of popular views or rules that we try to adhere to, in general. Most importantly, it will help you build your experience as a critical reader, which you are probably beginning to learn through rethoric and essay writing in composition at school.

Secondly, I think that the mild scolding wasn't meant as a personal attack as much as just a glimpse at how frustrating it can appear to see one reaping the benefit of our time and labor without reciprocating. We all are busy, and all have a lot going on besides our writing. Like you we are striving to accomplish something we enjoy above the hectic rigors of our daily lives. On that note imagine the time that has been dedicated to offering you opinions and crit of the several post that ou have made, and I admit, it can be frustrating to someone like me, who contributes regularly, and dedicates alot of time in that effort to see comments on three of your posts while I am struggling to get comments on my own.

Perhaps, just try to avoid flooding the fragments area, and focus on one story at a time, especially since you are so busy. You likely won't have time to edit them all at the same time anyway. "But I ain't not mad at ya" just remember that we all want to help each other out, and try to balance as much as possible. Learning a little etiquette never hurt anyone.

We are glad to have you and look forward to what you do bring to the table.Often a fresh perspective can add a lot. You will likely be able to bring up a few new angles to consider, simply because you are not as familiar with the norm.

Have a great day, and good luck with your writing.

~Scott

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JSchuler
Member # 8970

- posted      Profile for JSchuler   Email JSchuler         Edit/Delete Post 
Let me also add, even if you do not have an opinion on a piece, I think merely summarizing what you think is going on in those first 13 is a good contribution. At least, the feedback I got from those who gave me their impressions of who people were, what was happening, and such, was excellent in highlighting the confusion I would be causing later in my story. And they probably didn't even realize they were doing that when they wrote those comments
Posts: 388 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Your comments don't have to be huge. If you just want to say whether you would read further and why, or why not, that is helpful as well. It can be as simple as that.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
When I first started, many moons ago, I already had a lot of finished short stories and so I posted pretty continiously too. I did also have some doubts about providing feedback...I'd never done it before.

Personally, the only people whose opinions I in any way give additional weight to are those with whom I've established a relationship to where I know that they "get" my manner of writing and we've established a rapport in communication (such as my Lovely Assistants, genevive [the bunny] and Meredith [the cat girl]). Even then, its not that their opinions are "better" simply that we communciate better and understand each other more fully.

The only requirement I have of feedback is courtesy, and thats rarely if ever an issue here. I personally also like to discuss comments.

As you start out critiqueing, just give your impressions as a reader. As time goes on, I think its good to try and understand or find out what the author intends, so you can focus and tailor your feedback. That comes with time.

Don't be intimidated. Your a writer and a storyteller just as much as the rest of us, in my eyes. You've made the decision to write, you've done it, you've finished stories. I believe creativity and arts are individual things that spring from within a person and the same is largely true of critqueing. Your thoughts are as valid as anyones, just always remember that goes all ways.

[This message has been edited by Merlion-Emrys (edited March 08, 2010).]

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to throw another comment onto the pile...

Devon, you are exactly the kind of person that SHOULD be coming to the site: those that are willing to learn. Speaking as one who critiqued your work, you were very open to what I had to say and very accepting of criticism. From my interaction with you, you are a far cry from the norm.

Not saying you shouldn't try to critique others' work, as that's really how you grow. I encourage you to get involved one way or the other. But you only have time to do what you have time for. Hopefully you'll contribute further in the near future.

Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd like to throw in another voice to the mix, first by agreeing with what's been said before, but also by addressing the issue of time.

I know what you mean, though the content of my workload is different, I'm continually close to burn-out even without my writing workload, and try to manage my time to stay just on the sane side of the thin red line. But here's where critiquing has been really important to me. Because it's only been through critiquing that I've been able to get better at (a) producing a solid first draft and (b) self-editing well enough that I don't need to put my work through as many critique cycles.

I'm still an unpublished amateur, but I can pick up a story I wrote eighteen months ago and one I wrote last week and they're like chalk and cheese. So don't, whatever you do, underestimate the value of investing some time in critiquing. It will come back and repay you with far more time in the future. And since life only gets busier (trust me on this one), you'll need all the time you can get.

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, okay. We'll put away the tar and feathers.

Put just to let you know we look for any excuse to tar and feather people and weren't really bothered by your absence of crits. We're confident that you'll be lending your voice soon enough.

Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Plus, I don't think my review or critique would be of much importance anyway, for I don't know much and I see all these people sending these immense looking comments and i'm like: "should mine be that long? I don't know if i can do that," so I haven't really done much of that for reasons consisting of thinking people might just think i don't know what I'm talking about.

I totally understand how you feel. Some people here are really good at critiquing. When I first got here, I spent most of my time reading through the first thirteen line critiques, and I learned more there than anywhere else.

But don't worry about whether what you say is good enough. Honest feedback is the most valuable thing you can offer.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
No worries, do what you can. I personally rarely spend time in Frag and Feed because of time reasons.

Overcoming fears of inadequacy is an important step for a writer (as is overcoming delusions of grandeur.) Trust me, people like getting responses, no matter whether it's longer than their first 13 or it's just a "I'd read on." It means that someone at least read it and thought about it. Do your best that's all anyone can ask.

You also happened to poke your head in at a particularly cranky time over here, (which smells like it has passed) so you might have gotten more than usual blowback, even though reciprocation is nice.

[This message has been edited by Pyre Dynasty (edited March 08, 2010).]

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I personally rarely spend time in Frag and Feed because of time reasons.

I'm rarely there 'cause it rarely seems like I have anything to put up. I didn't want to be in the position of ripping something to shreds without offering up something of my own to be ripped up in turn.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.