Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » You know you want to...

Author Topic: You know you want to...
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Vampire stories? Me? I wouldn't write one, although I'd like to, simply because they are a hard sell. But vampire stories/films/books remain very popular, if you can bring something fresh/interesting/well done to the table.

I have set up an intro competition on 'challenges' to see if you can beat the cliche--same vein (oh, bad pun) as snapper's waking cliche competition. Just a bit of fun really, but it may get those writing muscles working--there is nothing quite like being up against the wall (metaphorically) with your neck exposed to get you thinking creatively...

http://www.hatrack.com/forums/writers/forum/Forum7/HTML/000160.html

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited March 10, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Bump.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about vampire stories...a healthy proportion of my science fiction does involve the "living un-dead," kinda, but, back when contemporary horror was a big genre, I tried my hand at that several times---but could never get anything past a couple of chapters.

As for the contemporary vampire / romance novel, it's probably the same thing. I have a hard enough time saying something original in SF...what new thing could I say about vampires? (Or, at least, what new thing could I say about them that could get published?)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sholar
Member # 3280

- posted      Profile for sholar   Email sholar         Edit/Delete Post 
Some of those opening are awesome. I want the whole story on a lot of them.
Posts: 303 | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Remember you are still entitled to vote, even if you don't enter. Anyone can vote--voting opens after midnight next Wednesday--so don't vote yet!

However if you do enter, you are required to vote!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.