Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » penny for your craft?

Author Topic: penny for your craft?
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish there were more straight forward lessons for crafting sentences. Rather than the same ol' info on how to begin, continue, and end a story, I just want to learn how to write a story the does what I want it to do.

I'm looking for something a bit more than grammar, but less than the somewhat random "rules of storytelling" which seem to be partly based upon pleasing editors and partly based on something pulled out of much darker nether regions.

Now I know there's elements of style but that's very very basic stuff. It's almost grammar and meant really for nonfiction writing (IMO).

The question I want to answer is: why does a story work?
What techniques did the author use to make it work? Not just oh she used foreshadowing, and metaphors and similes very well. Those are still tools to me. I want to know how to create certain effects using those tools.

I think the way every writer gets that craft-knowledge now is they read as much as possible and when they read a really good part they figure out how it works and then apply it elsewhere; and when a writer fails, they try to figure out why it failed and then find their own solution to it. This way they build their craft-Q up. I just wish I had the time to do that.

Current Books on craft don't help me much. I hate buying books on craft that tell me i oughta read read read (not that I mind reading - but that it's obvious advice), and to make my character multidimensional (obviously), and so on, but wont actually go into detailed analysis or examples. Or worse give a quick fix like give him a flaw, or make it wear a eye patch. All of which seem to be offering more rules than understanding.

Maybe i'm reading the wrong books. Any english lit majors/writers in the house? any books to recommend on developing the craft?

i think many authors are afraid to write such books and analyze thier own methods or afraid of being made a fool by publishing a book on craft. Only person i know did it is ursula Le guin. i wish i had her book with me. I left it back home, dang it! (i'm overseas right now)

[This message has been edited by billawaboy (edited March 15, 2010).]

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The question I want to answer is: why does a story work?

In my semi-humble opinion, based on what you are saying, this is here I think where your problem lies. Trying to find out why a story works isn't going to help you, I don't think. What you want to know is how to make each specific story you want to write, do what you want it to do.

At the end of the day, only you can answer that. I can't really be too helpful without specifics. What sort of story are you trying to tell, and to what purpose? If it's a type of story that I understand I'm totally willing to give you any info and thoughts I may have that may help towards those goals, but thats the thing...each story is specific, unique and different.

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Some folks on hatrack approach storytelling from a more technical angle, trying to get at a "formula" for storytelling. Others (I'm just guessing here and not putting words into your mouth, merlion, but I imagine you fall into the others camp) think that storytelling is a highly creative endeavor, which is not subject to a formula (or by using a formula you'd engineer all the passion and heart out of a story.)

I fit somewhere in the middle. I have had a lot of great insights from more technical books like SCENE and STRUCTURE by Jack Bickham (get it from your library or buy used via Amazon), as well as WRITING THE BREAKOUT NOVEL by Maass, WRITING THE BLOCKBUSTER NOVEL by Zucherman. There's also THE FIRST FIVE PAGES, by Lukeman, which many people speak highly of but I have on my shelf and haven't read yet so I don't know.

I get a lot of benefit from those kinds of books, but I can't read them as how-tos. I have to just read and absorb the ideas (and btw, the BLOCKBUSTER NOVEL book by Zucherman goes into extensive detail with examples from Ken Follett's books for illustrative purposes, very helpful though also makes the chapters very dense.) and then use what I've learned on new stories. I can't just try to follow the steps in the writing books I read, or that leads to worse fiction than what i was writing before!

I think that most people have an intuitive sense of what the elements of a good story are, but when we go to write one, we sometimes blank, or we fall back on old tired cliched things, stereotypes and tropes.

When I get myself into that kind of mode, I find reading a book on writing helps break me out of it and think more creatively about the work of crafting a story.

I hope this helps!

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
billawaboy, I came across this link some years ago and found it incredibly helpful. While he's only illustrating some minor aspects of Dwight Swain's book, they're fairly clear and give a good impression of the mechanics in writing that keep your reader reading.

There is other advice I've found immensely helpful, like on overall story structure, or characterisation, or point of view. But the difficulty in posting here is that while certain advice may have great importance to me and my writing style, I feel it may just end up feeding yet another argument over 'rules' because it doesn't apply to another author's style - and may not apply to yours.

So... I dunno ;)

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
No offense taken KayTi. I would group myself mostly in the middle as well, though I do believe its a creative/artistic and therefore subjective endeavor in the end.

Thats kind of the trouble with trying to give general writing advice, as Ben says. To me, the closest thing to an objective goal or measure for writing is the desires and goals of the author with a given story.

So, billaway...more specifics!

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
To me, writing a story is about communication. I think a lot of the 'rules' about writing are there to help beginning writers communicate more clearly. Once your communication is clear you can more easily approach how to make your story work.

I think the core thing to ask yourself when you sit down to write is: What story am I trying to tell and what is the best way to communicate that to the reader? Also, what feelings are you trying to evoke?

Do what you need to do make that communication happen the way you want it to and the style points will take care of themselves, even if they don't follow the 'rules'. If you're not sure if something will work, write it and see. What's the worst that happens? It doesn't work and you have to rewrite it. But you may discover something very effective that will become part of your style.

Just my thoughts, hope they help.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
"I wish there were more straight forward lessons for crafting sentences."

"The question I want to answer is: why does a story work?
What techniques did the author use to make it work? Not just oh she used foreshadowing, and metaphors and similes very well. Those are still tools to me. I want to know how to create certain effects using those tools."

These seem like different questions to me. Story structure vs. sentence structure. One is like structuring a story, making an outline, plotting, etc. The second is about making sentences readable and grammatically correct. Sort of the same way a house is built of many bricks. But the bricks and the house are two different things.

Could you clarify exactly what you mean?

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heidi
Member # 8664

- posted      Profile for Heidi   Email Heidi         Edit/Delete Post 
May I suggest Writing Fiction: A Guide to Narrative Craft by Janet Burroway. It's been around since at least 1987. It looks like there are some newer editions. I checked--you can get a copy on Amazon. I would imagine you might also be able to find a copy at a library. It's become a bit of a classic. Burroway is a writer and a university professor. It has a text-book feel to it, but is very readable.

It seems to me that you are interested in the micro aspects of writing as opposed to the macro. (If I got that right.) What about looking at some books on poetry? Not that you need to write poetry, but poets are interested in the interplay and structure of words and that might provide some instruction/inspiration.

Posts: 28 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Not that you need to write poetry, but poets are interested in the interplay and structure of words and that might provide some instruction/inspiration.

Heidi makes a great point. If what you're mainly after is a key to getting sentence structure right, then poetry is a GREAT mental discipline for this. You really have to think about what each word is doing for you in poetry, particularly when working in a limited-form poetry like limerick (on my mind because my son came home from school having written one, lol.)

Songwriting has a similar compressed scale, an economy is required. Even just studying song lyrics that you really like, or lyrics from musicals and operas where the song is meant to carry the plot forward might be useful.

I'm reading a book right now that I swear has the most beautiful turns of phrases, the most interesting way of wording things. I have started underlining key phrases so I can go back later and study them more closely. Mostly it's a really evocative way of describing things - a way of putting two opposing ideas together in a description that illuminates both the object/person being described and the ideas in a greater light. It's really fascinating to me, and it's a kids' book! (STONEHEART, if you're curious.) I found similar things in THE BOOK THIEF. So in my case, I plan to study the way things are worded in these stories a bit more, because I don't feel like my stories have enough of this (though I think this is writer self-doubt on my part, as I think I'm okay in the evocative description department, but I'd like to do more/be better at it.)

Another thing you could do is to play around with writing exercises. There's an exercise called a word loop or sentence loop that is entertaining, and because it limits you in form, makes you think more carefully about each word you pick for a sentence. It's explained in this bit on Flash Fiction Online but you could probably find other examples online as well. Basic premise is you write a story where the beginning of each sentence is the same word as the end word of the previous sentence. I've done this before w/my in-person writer's group and it's really interesting the result. Results are hard to predict. Predict the future and you'll go far. Far and beyond one of the most interesting things we've done.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I think you are talking about experience--ain't no way to circumvent it. Structuring sentences of prose to create specific effects can't really be taught; there are probably thousands of effects available that have to paired with the specifics of your story. Selecting the correct one and knowing how to use it is a result of experience and developing an eye/ear for it.

It's a bit like asking a karate instructor how to defend yourself in all situations; he will say learn practice karate--he is unlikely to say read a book.

Your best bet is try stuff out in 'fragments' and see if it works--after a while you will become more confident with your choices.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
"What makes a story work" is one (perfectly valid) question.
"How do you craft a sentence" is another (also perfectly valid) question.

I don't see a particularly close relationship between those two questions, though. Sure, stories are made up of sentences, but you could have a bunch of beautifully crafted sentences strung together that don't make anything resembling a coherent story.

So: what makes a STORY work? Well, allowing for subjectivity (clearly, different stories do and don't work for different readers), a "working" story should:
1). Do what it sets out to do (ideally BOTH from the perspective of the reader and writer - but remember, readers may take away things from stories that writers never intended to put there, and equally miss stuff writers try and include).
2). Reveal itself as something complete and self-contained. A reader may not know where a story is going until the very final sentence, but when they read that final sentence, they should be able to understand everythng that has gone before, should be able to see why it is there, should realise that the story is greater than the sum of its parts. It should have been an entertaining ride to get to the end, but the end should ideally then illuminate and enhance that journey further. I am not pretending this is easy, nor that it is necessarily right for EVERY story to do so, but it's one of the things that tend to mark out truly great, memorable stories from just good ones.
3). Flow. Pacing and cadence are important, a story should rise and fall smoothly, sometimes fast, sometimes slow. Line revision or editing can often break a story by destroying the flow; revisions tend to look at the detail and often overlook the whole picture.
4). Engage. If the reader isn't engaged in something about the story (event, character, setting, idea, language) then it's meaningless. If you can engage one of those elements, you might have a story. Two, and you are likely to get out of a slush pile. Three or four and it's looking good. All five and you are going to be published - but again, it isn't necessary for every story to try and do all of these things, some are simply inappropriate for a given story because it depends what the story is trying to do (I have written stries with beautiful language, interesting ideas, and - quite deliberately - no characters or setting whatsoever).

There are doubtless other things a story needs to do to work, but that lot will provide a start.

But as for "crafting a sentence" - well, a "good" sentence is one that has the right words, in the right order, giving the right rhythm. But no sentence stands on its own. Rhythm wihin a sentence can work but then fail when the next sentence jars against it. If all your sentences have the same rhythm, the story won't flow. There are times when you want thirty words in a sentence. There are times when you want three. So crafting A good sentence is meaningless unless it fits in with what's around it. This is what gives rise to the oft-quoted "murder your darlings" advice - often you write one fantastically beautiful (often florid) sentence, and it's a lovely sentence and you feel very proud of it and close to it, [i*but it's not the right sentence for the story[/i]. And if it doesn't work in the larger context, it has to go.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I recomend taking random sentences and paragraghs from your favorite Author, and dissecting them. You can also pull sentences that you find very effective. But, by doing so yourself you will learn to be effective , but in your own style, or shall I say a style you wish to emulate.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've done that, more or less...I've taken whole short stories and parts of novels and retyped them out, sometimes trying to rewrite them...I'm not sure I learned much, but I did learn to dissect the works of others in the process. (Only relatively recently can I say with surety: "This moves me, and I know why. This doesn't, and I also know why.")
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
You want to make your prose do what you want it to. So, what do you want it to do? I think you have to start there.

Robert McKee
Jack Bickham
Orson Scott Card
Steven Pressfield

All have written books on method: How to use the "tools" of the trade, and what those "tools" are for.

Albert Zuckerman
Donald Maass
Sol Stein

Are all literary agents who've examined the works of their best selling clientelle, and give you those results.

But, when all is said and done, you have to know what you want to write, to achieve with the prose, to strengthen. Reading Al Zuckerman's monotonous breakdown of four versions of Ken Follet's The Man From St. Petersburg outline may help you get a feel for strengthening the story at that level (and show you haw to keep it interesting while doing so). Reading Maass's Attention = At Tension advice may inspire you to keep some level of conlfict progressing the story along. Bickham might drive the point home with his Scene = Goal, Conflit, Disaster which is achieved through Cause and Effect and Stimulus and Response. But knowing all this isn't good enough, you have to build your story with these framing tools.

Common denominators I've found:

• Start with a character, really get to know him or her: friends, enemies, loves, likes, fears, weaknesses, morals. Use these against the character to unexpectedly shake up their world.
  • Learn about the time period and milieu (even if you have to create them). You will find where elements of the milieu (culture, available devices/unavailable devices, plants and animals, magic or scientific advancement) work to impede, threaten, endanger or otherwise create obstacles for your character.
  • From these two create a long term goal for your character, then fill his or her path with obstacles and conflicts on every level you can.
  • Plot/Create some order by Outlining the resulting actions, experiment with different obstacles and add writing devices: Time-bombs (time limits), Crucibles (situations where opposing characters are forced to remain in close proximity) to see where tension can be escalated.
  • Expand the plotting to chapters, so you know where you are going with each, and can develop escalation of tensions (or what Bickham calls building the conflic to disaster).
  • Write it out, exploring the character's feelings and thoughts leading up to and dealing with each point during the chapter, and painting a sensory picture (with as many senses as possible) of the environment as perceived by your chosen protagonist.
  • After building to major conflict/disaster, find an ending that satisfies: pull victory from defeat or the charater needs to learn something about his or her loss. (There are also a number of twists and reversals available at this point.)
  • The character returns to some form normal, or normal changes for him or her.

It's not all of the answers, but you should be able to see a "usable" progression.

I hope this helps.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Unwritten
Member # 7960

- posted      Profile for Unwritten   Email Unwritten         Edit/Delete Post 
Writing flash fiction was the best thing I ever did for learning how to write on both a micro- and a macro- scale. Every word I had to painstakingly cut and every sentence I had to rewrite for clarity was worth it, and I use the same process when I edit longer works. And now leaving extra words feels deliciously decadent.

On the down side, it takes so long to edit my posts that it's hardly ever worth it to write them. I'm working on that. Editing is a double-edged sword.

Posts: 938 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.