Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Soul Food and Resonating Themes

Author Topic: Soul Food and Resonating Themes
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
As a chef I quickly learned ways to tug on diners heartstrings? How? Soul Food, Down home cookin, Just like Gramma or Momma used to make, these are all names for cuisine that connects people with their childhoods. Comfortable food, that they remember growing up. Whether it be biscuits and gravy, Lemon meringue pie, mashed potatoes, or fried okra, everyone has their cryptonite, and I can find it out.

I can't speak for everyone, but my childhood was the time in my life when all my dreams could still come true, where there was still potential magic in every moment, or in every turn of a corner. My grandmother's farm was a magic place where I found joy in every discovery, sound, and breath. To tap into those

Read more at The Universe According To Mr. Cantankerous

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Great post, Scott. You really hit the nail on the head for me. THAT'S what writing is all about to me. The same for reading. When I was young I'd head off into the woods with my stick/sword and just let my imagination wander. Video games couldn't begin to compare with the images I created in my head. I like all types of stories, but the ones that resonate most with me are the ones that tap into that sense of wonder I felt as a child. I think too often as writers we get caught up in the mechanics of writing and lose the emotional connection. I understand the need to learn the craft, and I do want to be successful as a writer. But when writing becomes just forming words on a page I'll move on to something else. Thanks for this.
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad that I could help. That adhering to the rules and the mechanics of writing were exactly what I had been contemplating when I wrote this. I just read a story that got me by the heartstrings and it made me ask why because there was a great issue with suspention of disbelief, then it struck me. It made me feel like I did when I was a kid.

Happy writing.

~Scott

Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.