Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Letters from Space

Author Topic: Letters from Space
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
...or: Space Smells Like Burnt Almond Cookies.

This is the blog for Anousheh Ansari, first female space tourist and the first blogging astronaut, and she has a fascinating account of adjusting to space.

It's interesting from the point of view of a someone who has pretty much led an ordinary life, someone like us, or our main character.

you know, we oughta create a resource collection thread, a place where people can post nice resources for science and fantasy...just the other day there was a post for describing clothes...

[This message has been edited by billawaboy (edited March 23, 2010).]

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I am so jealous. My biggest dream is to be able to go into orbit before I die. I really hope Space tourism hurries up.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Bent Tree,
I have a rocket ready to go.

"Mission control, I am running low on supplies. When do I get to come back home?"

"Bent tree, we had to make a decision. Because of our budget, We had a problem with the maximum weight. We had to decide whether to add retro rockets or carpet the cabin floor."

Bent tree runs his foot on the soft fluffy floor surface....

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

- posted      Profile for billawaboy   Email billawaboy         Edit/Delete Post 
It's always the things you don't think about. ex: washing hair.

She comments on the complexities of washing hair in space - and here a video she made of her washing her hair - in SPACE!!! Hair washing in Space!

Another problem was brushing teeth - you can't rinse and spit - it seems if you do that you end up swallowing minty spit water...which was the solution they came up with.

brushing - in Space!

What's also interesting that as she is brushing she is never still her body slowly spins or moves - at one point she was brushing sideways, then upside down - and you always have to have a hand free to catch and orient or push off a surface. That means you always have to have one arm dedicated just to maintain your position!

[This message has been edited by billawaboy (edited March 23, 2010).]

Posts: 342 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
billawaboy
Member # 8182

Cats in space!

Not sure if this was in space or a training flight - but the astronaut literally throws the cat like a basketball and it bounces off the sidewall - twice (and once it bounced off the floor after bouncing off the wall) - caroming away, legs moving in a blur trying to catch a foothold that would never come.

I really shouldn't have laughed so much.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
That has got to be one confused cat. Poor kitty.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bent Tree
Member # 7777

- posted      Profile for Bent Tree   Email Bent Tree         Edit/Delete Post 
I was stricken at first, but I thik it isn't as bad as it looked. All of the animals look just pitiful in 0g I have seen frog, mice, they are just completely out of their element and they do not have the cognitive ability to compensate as humans do. I hope they are learning something otherwise it is just cruel.
Posts: 1888 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
Now if you've ever wondered how a cat seems to always land on its feet, then seeing a cat in 0g is incredibly enterta...I mean academically interesting.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.