Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Sue Grafton - Writing Advice

Author Topic: Sue Grafton - Writing Advice
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
http://writersdigest.com/article/sue-grafton-advice-for-writers/

Link to a Writers Digest interview with Sue Grafton on writing, what she has learned, and advice for writers.

quote:
My big gripe about newer writers is they’re not willing to put the time in. Somebody’ll write one book and they’re asking me who my agent and my editor are, and I’m thinking, Don’t you worry, sweetheart, you’re not any good yet. Give yourself time to get better.

Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Indeed. Now that alot of people I am familiar with know that I am writing, they have shared some of their projects with me. In most cases, they really aren't any good... and this is by MY standards, which I know aren't very perfect, partly evidenced by the fact that I am not yet published. I really am surprised at how many people think they can merely sit down and type out a story to become the next Stephanie Meyer without any effort whatsoever to improve the craft of writing or storytelling. When I sat down to write my magnum primus, I have been constantly beset by how hard it is to do effectively... and I am still only doing side work on it because I know I need to learn more to write at the caliber I want.

To me, it has become my unofficial hobby (read: obsession) to keep working on my projects because I know I'm not yet very good, and I consider myself a reasonably intelligent person who can write adequately (definitely better than the average person, if the shared manuscripts are any indication) - and yet there is only one thing that I've written that I ever felt was good enough for submission, and I've since given up on that when I realized it wasn't written as well as I want it to be.

It really makes me wonder how I'll look at the stuff I am writing NOW, fifteen years in the future.

[This message has been edited by Teraen (edited April 07, 2010).]

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.