Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Negotiating rights

Author Topic: Negotiating rights
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 

Let's say a writer is offered his first-ever short story publishing contract. How much of a writer's faux pas is it to request an edit in the contract's wording?...especially when it comes to rights.

Here's one example: a mag with a web presence requests the purchase of first world electronic rights for my short story. As a writer, I might ask that they change it to first world electronic rights in English (with the obvious intention of being able to sell first world electronic rights to a similar electronic pub in their native language).

What kind of experience have you had with doing something like that? Or, is this simply a taboo idea for a newbie writer?

Thanx in advance!

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Go ahead and ask. The worst thing they can say (and I mean this) is "we haven't done that for any of our other writers."

Then you can try asking if it would make any difference to them to do it for you? Do they plan to have the story translated, etc?

If they still won't change it, then you decide how important it is to you.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I suppose the REALLY worst thing they could say is "never mind," but they don't usually say such things to questions about contract wording.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.