Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What are the strongest aspects of your writing?

Author Topic: What are the strongest aspects of your writing?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
With critiques and discussions as they are we tend to focus on our problems and the weaker aspects of our writing. Of course, we need to do this so that we may improve our skills.

However, sometimes it's good to look at the things we do well. In examining those we might find a correlation to our weaker points and come to understand them better. Also, focusing on the positive once in awhile just feels good.

So here I would like to give everyone the opportunity to sound off about what you feel the strongest aspects of your writing are. It's not bragging but an assessment of your skills. What repeatedly gets good comments in crits and what do you feel best writing?

If you strive for balance, feel free to include the elements you need to work on. Maybe someone who is strong in those areas can offer some advice.

I'll start.

The strongest part of my writing is characters, especially their interaction and dialogue. Even when other parts of my story are weak most of my readers care about what happens to my characters.

The reason I think I do well in this is that I truly put myself in their heads when I am writing them. That means that when they're going through hard times I feel it in my gut too. But it also menas that I know them inside and out and I know what they would and wouldn't do in a given situation. No two characters will react the same way to any situation.

My weaker area is world building and setting. Until recently I didn't have the patience to develop these things and I saw them as less than important with the focus of my stories always being on character. I am working on this now and trying to make sure that there is a strong sense of place for my characters to move around in. But it is definitely something I have to work at improving.

How about you?

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
People that read my fan fic said my dialogues are interesting. Also I'm told I write very good fight sequences but that's specific.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
In general, people like my characters and find the descriptions a little non existent. Of course, in my WOTF story, I think I focused so heavily on compensating for my normally weak descriptions that my characters came on weak. But it was weird having people say that the descriptions were good because that is a compliment I never get.

TamesonYip/ formerly sholar

[This message has been edited by TamesonYip (edited April 25, 2010).]

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
I have no idea.

If I had to guess, it would be that I can edit well. I can take random mental vomit and morph it into something readable. However, I have trouble with the larger aspects of storytelling because of it. It gets too easy to focus on the minutia and leave out the grandutia... is that a word?

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't think of anything, so I won't comment.
Wait... I just commented!

Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
The strongest part of my writing? It's mine.

No one else has had the life experiences I've had up to this point. Thus, what I bring to the table is unique. The stories I create can only be told from my perspective.

It's my hope that someday something I write will touch someone in a similar way to how I feel when I'm writing it. Meanwhile I practice my craft in order to improve until my stuff gets out there at a major level.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I wish I knew.

Back in my fanfic days, I got approval from the group for my ability to tell a story, which I presume means to keep something going with a beginning, middle, and end, and to have something going that is more than a simple excuse for the characters to be on stage.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.