Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Novellettes?

Author Topic: Novellettes?
XD3V0NX
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know if that is spelled correctly, but I don't feel like checking the spelling at this time (I know, I'm lazy lol) but does anyone know of any good websites or magazines or markets that accept Novellettes? If so, throw some my way. Thank you. It will help me significantly. =]
IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Depends partly on the genre. Check duotrope or ralan.
Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
...too many "l"s...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
Ever thought about trying what Stephen King did with Different Seasons. He took four novellas and published them in 1 book. You could take your novelettes (I'm under the impression that you have more than two) and put them together to make a book.
Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Novell is a computer company in Utah. Is Novellettes their cheerleaders?
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe novellettes are mini-software applications?
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Corky
Member # 2714

- posted      Profile for Corky   Email Corky         Edit/Delete Post 
Or even mini-computers? (There certainly are enough of those around.)
Posts: 603 | Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
No, I think Novellettes are cheerleaders who help you write your novel. You can find those here.

(Shout out to my Novellettes out there! Go team Unwritten and Satate, and Genevieve and Meredith!)

~Sheena

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XD3V0NX
unregistered

Okay. I really have thought about what Stephen King did. (I love Stephen King's writing; in fact, he's my inspiration) But I don't understand something: how would I combine the novellas and novellettes to put in one book? What would go on the query letter? And would the novellas have to be similiar? I do in fact have several novellas...And, for my First book that I "attempt" to get published, it wouldn't be a problem to have a few novellas in one book, even though it'll be my first?
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
And, for my First book that I "attempt" to get published, it wouldn't be a problem to have a few novellas in one book, even though it'll be my first?

Unfortunately, it might be for a first book. Not impossible, but probably more difficult.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
XD3V0NX
unregistered

What would you say would be more difficult, though? Getting a 200,000 word novel published, or a collection of novelettes and novellas that is equivilant to about 70,000 words in one? (sorry if the structure of that sentence is jacked up lol but I have to go lol and it was rushed)
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Almost impossible.

You get short story collections (which is what it is) when you have published a number of successful novels. Usually those stories will have been published elsewhere and are reprints.

If the stories are good enough then a magazine will pick them up and you can make your name. If they aren't, then a publisher (novels) wouldn't risk it anyway, especially with an unknown.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
B. Elison Bradley
Member # 8907

- posted      Profile for B. Elison Bradley   Email B. Elison Bradley         Edit/Delete Post 
I like to call em' "Light Novels"
Posts: 32 | Registered: Dec 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
What would you say would be more difficult, though? Getting a 200,000 word novel published, or a collection of novelettes and novellas that is equivilant to about 70,000 words in one? (sorry if the structure of that sentence is jacked up lol but I have to go lol and it was rushed)

You're making an uphill battle for yourself either way. It's hard enough to get published the first time. Why make it harder?

Generally speaking novels should be between 80,000 to 120,000 words. Practically speaking, you'll have your best chance with something under 100,000 words--at least until you're known.

I know of one case where a short story collection was published for an author that does not have a novel out. It's pretty darn rare.

If you can't find a way to tighten the novel up--and I grant that's a pretty huge cut--or else break it into two (reasonably complete) novels, maybe it's time to put it on a shelf for a while and start work on something new.

Individual novelettes may not be the easiest to sell, but there are a few markets that will take them. You can always try that, too.

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
Actually, there are quite a few short story authors who have collections published before they sell a novel, but it's generally by small presses, rather than major publishers.

But selling a collection made up entirely of previously unpublished stories is unlikely, even for a small press.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Speaking of which, Eric, have you done or do you plan to do a short story collection yet?
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
What about publishing a novel that has two parts (or books), each with its own dramatical development (that would mean Exposition, Climax, Resolution, Exposition, Climax, Resolution)?
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
What about publishing a novel that has two parts (or books), each with its own dramatical development (that would mean Exposition, Climax, Resolution, Exposition, Climax, Resolution)?

I'd call that a very short series. I don't see a problem with it.

But unless you've got some kind of an "in", I suspect your chances with a 200,000 word manuscript are pretty slim. Reading agents' blogs, a lot of them would stop right there because it would just be too hard to sell, especially in the current market/economy.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited May 08, 2010).]

EricJamesStone
Member # 1681

- posted      Profile for EricJamesStone   Email EricJamesStone         Edit/Delete Post 
> Speaking of which, Eric, have you done or do you plan to do a
> short story collection yet?

Kathleen, I'm working with Paper Golem Press, who published Cat Rambo's collection last year and publish the Alembical series of novella anthologies, to put out a collection later this year.

Posts: 1517 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Great! Let us know when it comes out.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.