Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Question

Author Topic: A Question
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
I am about to send out my very first submission. What I want to know is - should I send it out to one market at a time or to several at once?
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dark Warrior
Member # 8822

- posted      Profile for Dark Warrior   Email Dark Warrior         Edit/Delete Post 
One at a time, unless guidelines specify the market accepts simultaneous submissions. Most of the pro-markets do not though.
Posts: 710 | Registered: Oct 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

- posted      Profile for andersonmcdonald   Email andersonmcdonald         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks! Now I'll just have to find a market!
Posts: 456 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

So that's what they mean by "No simultaneous submissions". LOL
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Try DUOTROPE . They have a searchable database. You can narrow search parameters (e.g. markets that accept e-subs, or are open, etc, etc).

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 09, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TrishaH24
Member # 8673

- posted      Profile for TrishaH24   Email TrishaH24         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if this applies to you (if you are submitting to agents or magazines or direct to publishers) but when you query an agent, most agents say they are fine with simulaneous submissions. The reason being it takes an agent anywhere from a day to three months to get back to you, and some never write back at all. They usually understand you are actively looking for representation.

The rule I've always come across is don't send partials or a full MS to several agents at one time unless you inform them ahead of time. That way they can act fast if they are interested. But when in doubt, I agree that you should not sumbit to multiple agents at a time.

If it's magazines or things like that, I think you are supposed to submit your work one at a time.

Hope that helps!

Posts: 184 | Registered: Jun 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
andersonmcdonald
Member # 8641

Thanks all! I'm submitting to magazines. But this one's gonna be a long shot. It's a 20,000 word novella - written by a no-name house painter without even one publication under his belt. I'd send it to Writers of the Future, but since I couldn't go to the ceremony even if I did win, that might be problematic. F and SF says they accept works up to 25,000 words, but I hear that's for big names only. I think I could manage to cut this down a bit, but too much and I'll have to rethink the whole story.
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Wotf has a limit of 17000 words. They count those by how many pages your MS is, not by your word processor's word count, so lots of dialogue may make your story seem longer and they will toss it.

Cutting 20,000 down to 17,000 is a very realistic aim. I bet there are whole scenes you could remove and simply allude to.

WOTF pay for you fly to the ceremony and put you up in a hotel for the week. Besides you can still win and chose not to go. You would get a very high rate of pay, plus prize money, plus a published story that would make you eligible for a Campbell Award, plus kudos. Few places offer that.

Edited to add: Nowhere else offers that.

Of course, you may not want all that...not everyone does.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 09, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.