Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » NASA?

Author Topic: NASA?
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know anyone at NASA/related industry who could answer a few basic questions?

Pretty simple stuff like:

1) Where would Mission Control be for a mission like the Cassini mission, e.g. non-manned exploration missions of the solar system? I am talking about the state, town, facility and the precise location--name of building, if you can get it.

2) What would be the title and academic background of the person in charge of the mission be? I mean the person whose job is to have hands-on day-to-day responsibility for the mission. There may be people above him who he reports to, but he's the guy who ensures everything runs smoothly.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited May 15, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I am in Phx right now, but when I get back to Houston I can get those answers for you- like Tuesday night, maybe Wednesday. So, hopefully somebody else can answer faster, but if not, please bump this and I will ask my husband and if he doesn't know I can have him ask a co-worker.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sjsampson
Member # 8075

- posted      Profile for sjsampson   Email sjsampson         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not NASA, so someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but...

1) For Cassini - JPL http://saturn.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/missioncontrol/

quote:
Mission control activities for Cassini are conducted from the Space Flight Operations Facility at JPL, where the project is headquartered.

And if you are bored and interested, the pre-launch press kit:
http://www.jpl.nasa.gov/news/press_kits/cassini.pdf

John Hopkins APL would be another option: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Applied_Physics_Laboratory

2) In terms of flight, Director of Flight/Flight Director.

Engineering, physics, planetary science, or a military background would all work. I'm sure there are others.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

Thanks!
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
Since your topic was specifically about the Cassini mission I thought I'd mention the European Space Agency's role.

The Cassini-Huygens mission included the Huygens probe which was built by the European Space Agency. When Huygens disengaged from Cassini in 2005 and began its descent onto Saturn's moon Titan mission control was turned over to the European Space Operations Center located on Robert-Bosch-Strasse, Darmstadt, Germany for the duration of the descent.

It's sort of a shared mission.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

That's interesting...I like the idea of a european connection. Was control of the mission's uplink transferred to ESA prior to after or after the probes separation? Iguess what I am asking is who was in control of the data being transferred to the craft at the point of separation?
Edward Douglas
Member # 8872

- posted      Profile for Edward Douglas   Email Edward Douglas         Edit/Delete Post 
skadder,

I would surmise that JPL (mission control for Cassini is at Space Flight Operations Facility at JPL)and ESA had some sort of shared database and mainframe link -- secure to the hilt I'm sure.

My best guess is that the Cassini Program Manager Bob Mitchell and his team handled the Cassini side of things when Huygens was disengaged, and turned telemetry tracking over to Jean-Pierre Lebreton, Huygens Project Scientist and Mission Manager at ESA, for the duration of Huygens' life.

Maybe this link will help you out. Good luck with your project.

http://www.esa.int/SPECIALS/ESOC/

[This message has been edited by Edward Douglas (edited May 16, 2010).]

Posts: 133 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.