Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Multiple submission standard?

Author Topic: Multiple submission standard?
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Ok this has probably been asked before but here it goes.

If you have more than one short story or more than one novel to submit to an editor. What is the right way to handle this. Do you only send one at a time. do you send them together? Separate envelopes? What is the proper way to handle this.

and yes I already know you don't send a whole novel, and the guideline there in. I just want to know how you handle multiple submits or do you space them out? Whats the best way to handle something like this?

Thank you,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
First, look at their guidelines. This will be the most telling. It seems that very few places like to take multiple submissions. But most of the time, if they say it's acceptable, I would certainly send them separately. The last thing you want is to make things difficult or confusing.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I can't say about novels, but as far as short stories, its as my Lovely Assistant the Bunny Girl says. Multiple submissions are almost unheard of. You can always check the guidlines but, especially, like ALL the pro and semi pro short fiction markets only take single submissions.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
For novels, you will be submitting to agents, not editors, if you want to get through the slush pile.

Short stories: Generally only one to a publication at a time (a few take multiple submissions, but not very many). And only one publication at a time, no simultaneous submissions, either. It's even rarer for a publication to take simultaneous submissions than to accept multiple submissions.

Novels: You can query several agents at a time, but only with one project at a time. And generally you should wait a few months at least before querying that agent again with a different project.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't do it. Does the thing burn a hole in your pocket so bad that you can't wait a few days or weeks for a rejection? Have you got so many possible markets for your work that you want to try all of them at once?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
-- -- thanks everyone. I figured one at a time. It's interesting that we live in the computer age, yet the submit process for writing is still old world.

I could write a short story just on the notion of having to rediscover that the regular post office still exists.

Everything normal goes to the mail holder outside the door. Everything bigger has always gone to fedex-kinkos. 95% of everything else is handled electronically.

Getting a manuscript weighed and sent slow mail defies my modern thinking, and reminds me of simpler times, but yes Robert, in this fast world of send/reply. The concept of waiting weeks, months, years, is something I have to rediscover.

Thanks everyone,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Clarification:

Multiple submissions means different manuscripts to the same publisher or editor at the same time.

Simultaneous submissions means the same manuscript to different publishers or editors at the same time.

If the guidelines say that simultaneous submissions are okay, they probably also say that they want you to let them know that they are simultaneous.

If the guidelines say "please only send us your very best" they are probably hinting that they do not want multiple submissions (some writers send everything they have to every new market they find, and this tends to drive editors crazy).

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I took it to mean "simultaneous submissions," too...yeah, editors generally don't like to see every story you've written, all at once, in the same packet.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
Also think of it this way, if the editor loves all your stories they are still most likely only going to buy one of them. Unless they want to do a special "you" issue. They usually want to get as much people in a magazine as possible, it increases the "friends and family" sales. Send one story, and if they love it, send another one for next issue.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

I remembered that H. P. Lovecraft's first submission to Weird Tales was a bundle of several of his stories...but that was (1) nearly ninety years ago, in (2) a different time, and (3) he was H. P. Lovecraft, and most of us aren't even in his league.

quote:
on the notion of having to rediscover that the regular post office still exists.

That's what I do for a living.

rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Nothing particular to say regarding what's already been said about multiple submissions, but just wanted to comment on this:

quote:
he was H. P. Lovecraft, and most of us aren't even in his league.

It's always good to remember that Lovecraft wasn't in Lovecraft's league when he started out.

Stephen King wasn't in Stephen King's league, JK Rowling wasn't in JK Rowling's league...

Sorry for the thread drift, but we sometimes get hung up on our idols, or those that have achieved greatness.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Ohh I think they were already in that league when they started out. But then I don't believe there are "leagues" only niches...many of us probably are already in "that league", which is to say, our own. But we just haven't found our niches, yet. Or only some of them.

Did that make any sense?

Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It makes sense, but I don't agree that most of the writers here (myself most definitely included) are H P Lovecrafts, Stephen Kings or J K Rowlings just waiting to slot into the right "niche" when it magically appears. It's possible we are in terms of certain unique ideas and approaches once they are clearly expressed, btu I tend to think that most people are here in order to try and find out how to clearly express their ideas.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

Then why is it that some people...including people big in literature circles of various types...still consider all those writers you mention to be "bad" writers?

What is the difference, objectively, between you or me and them, besides the fact that they found their niche? (by which I mean, they found someone with publishing power who liked their stuff enough to publish it in a massive way.)

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.