Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Murdering a child...

Author Topic: Murdering a child...
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Killing a sympathetic character near the beginning of a novel. Is it doable?

My story is a revenge story of sorts. I need to show the protagonists world before the change, so that the change can have any meaning.

The incident that causes his change, and his lust for vengeance, is the murder of his son.

Is it better to show less of the son character, so that his sympathetic acts don't make us like him too much (And anger us when he dies)? Or should I work to show off more of the character so that it does matter to us when he dies?

[This message has been edited by Gan (edited July 26, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by Gan (edited July 26, 2010).]

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd recomend the latter based on what you describe. And its certainly doable. Not all stories are pleasant.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
If you want us to be behind the guy going out for revenge, then make us like his kid and their relationship. We will so want the bad guys to die.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would think the most important thing is to show us the love of the father has for his son. So a little of his son, but more of him and his thoughts/feelings.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
If the child's death is so important to the story then we better love that kid. You want to invoke an emotional response.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You might want to be careful about how much of the actual murder you describe, because you might run a risk of making the readers hate you, too.

I'd recommend that you focus on the father-son relationship and on how the death of his son affects the father, and not so much on how the murderers commit the murder.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
I murdered (in a story, I add hastily) a young girl (14-15) in one of my early stories. I did it fairly graphically and it turned off quite few readers. I've never revised the story, but if I were to I would tone down the killing.
Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
The Shack by William P. Young did this well. He references the main character's daughter being killed, without actually describing what occurred at the beginning. Very disturbing, and very effective.
Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman starts with the murder of the child's entire family, including a sibling I believe. It's YA and he handles it well, though it's still not easy.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I thought the way it was done in Minority Report was excellent. Huge part of the story and when they finally showed the actual scene, it was all implication.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
JamieFord
Member # 3112

- posted      Profile for JamieFord   Email JamieFord         Edit/Delete Post 
Like everyone else has said, showing the violence probably won't make the reader want justice. Showing the loss of the relationship, the loss of potential, the loss of what that life meant, that's more motivating than the depiction of murder.

You can create some thoroughly unlikable scenes (and characters), but there will always be a price with the reader.

Feast of Snakes by Harry Crews is a book without a single redeeming character. The story is painful, the characters horrible, the writing brilliant...but the book is out of print.

Posts: 603 | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.