Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Two words to make a name.

Author Topic: Two words to make a name.
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
SURNAMES

This is a nit to me. So I felt I would post it here, and yes I'm a novice writer, and probably should not have nit's yet.

I've been reading through a lot of past and present first thirteens for both the novel and short story posts, because of the advice offered that their was much I could learn, which of course I have been, but I've noticed, a common nit that throw's me immediately out of a story. The combining of two odd words to make a surname, I won't use any that I have seen here at the forum, but I would like to say it's very common, but examples: Megastone, or Blackdeath, or Treeriver.

To help think of these kinds of names, try and think of how they came about. Usually they are a translation a 'Phrase name' given by tribal custom. So example: Runs by the river - becomes-- Runningriver which usually ends up-- River. or Son of the river, becomes Soniver-- which become Riverson-- meaning of course:Son of the river.

surnames like: Stonewall, lightfeather, blackfox, all have direct meaning and often describe a trait within the character or there ancestor.

Call names and nick names: Like Sparks or Ace or Flak. Can become a surname if the character, or some other authority decided it fit them better, but you're probably not going to see a Jason Flaktruck or Henry Acedevil. Even if we are in the far, far, and I mean far, future.

When two words combine to make a name they usually have to make sense, and the more awkward they are, the faster the reader is thrown out of the story.

Now this can come full circle. A modern person can have a phrase name attached to them like. Ace Spitfire pilot, Mack Wellington is best known as, 'The Devil of the sky' by the Luftwaffe pilots. Or: She is known as, 'The death in red' or 'Red Death,' some call her 'The scarlet witch.' All because of the scarlet letter she cuts into her murder victims. Others say it is because she wears a scarlet dress dyed from the victims fresh, gushing, blood. I just call her 'Scarlet' for short, for it's my job to stop her and send her back to the place she rightfully belongs--Hell.

An exception I find to odd names: Computer user/hacker names which can become a nick name are often combinations of the oddest sort: Sputtlegunk, Nerdpunk, Brawnywhimp, I8MIHOG, but again, they won't probably become a surname.

Just in passing, don't be afraid to explore the meaning of your characters name because it can ad depth and often show the origins or traits of the character, that ether they know or may not know, but someone could point out. It is a great opportunity to show that the MC or Support character has a depth of knowledge beyond the present, and give subtle hint to the reader of a mysterious, honorable, or dark past.

Feel free to laugh and ignore, but I thought I would throw it out anyway.

Cheers,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I've gotta say I generally like authentic surnames, and have on occasion gone prowling through odd things looking for ones from obscure ethnic groups and such. A little effort should be expended---at least when the writer revises and reconsiders things.
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
According to people who study such things, there are four ways that surnames came to be:

1--patronymic (indicates that the individual is someone else's son or daughter)

2--location (indicates where someone comes from)

3--occupation

4--descriptive nickname

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Nicely put K.

I was just trying to nudge a little about character names.

Because: Though the name 'Lincoln Bricklayer' is a possibility for an MC and in the right kind of story could work, and technically fits within the four statements you made above, could distract from the story. That was all I was trying to point out, and there are a lot of weird surnames and odd combination of first names to surnames that parents think are clever in the real world, and most kids latter in life hate there parents for them, especially when a foreign name sounds dirty in the language of use.

I can't really throw stones. My stuff still has a lot work to go. I was just pointing something out I noticed as I was learning from all of you.

One of the things really irking me right now is I have a great detective story completed, but I can't think of a great detective name. I looked through thousands of names, far and wide, trying to find that great combination, but so far it eludes me. That's how I have recently become so versed in name origins and generation, a lot of research and a lot of pounding my head against my desk. So for now, there the story sits until I get that "AH HA!" moment.

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited July 28, 2010).]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
There are tons of websites with name information, some for baby names, some for names of characters from different countries. If you have any idea what your detective's heritage is, look up names from that country and pick one that means something descriptive (to you) about the character, and then drop an ordinary first name on him.

Or pick a name that someone can make jokes about, and get the jokes out of the way early in the story (you could have them be a kind of running joke whenever someone new meets your character). Remember Heinlein's female character, Wyoming Knot, who had to deal with "Why not?" jokes?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

Classic K.

Thanks,

W.

axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Might I suggest a last name meaning dick? (as in detective) Even if it's veiled.

Johnson
Richardson
Philips (as in Philip K Dick) Or Philip Marlowe
Dickens

Or even Shaw (short for Hawkshaw)

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.