Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Best Rejection Ever?

Author Topic: Best Rejection Ever?
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
So I just received a rejection for a story (admittedly slightly off topic since its not sci-fi but a personal essay).

The reader hand wrote 3-4 paragraphs relating their own experiences that were similar to those in the essay. The last paragraph stated it did not quite work for The Sun but she hoped I'd keep writing and speaking out. She wished me best of luck placing it.

So part of me definitely is enthused that it wasn't a form rejection. A smaller, more cynical part of me, wonders if she was patronizing me slightly.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
It's hard to imagine why someone in her position would spend time bothering to write that with the intention of patronising you.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Any personal note you can be assured is a positive sign. Rejections letters are patronizing enough without help.

It's a good sign that maybe if it didn't work for them it might work for someone else. I'd try.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Brad R Torgersen
Member # 8211

- posted      Profile for Brad R Torgersen   Email Brad R Torgersen         Edit/Delete Post 
That's a heck of a rejection. THE SUN offers major money, too. Like, BIG money! Hope you score on the next try!
Posts: 386 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
You are right, a few hours now that Iv'e thought about it, I'm only left with encouraged feelings.

The Sun does offer major money, though I was more interested in the circulation numbers.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.