Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » WOTF Eligible?

Author Topic: WOTF Eligible?
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure if my search kung-fu is weak, but I haven't been able to clearly ascertain if my work is eligible for WOTF. IN particular, I'm worried about

"5. The Contest is open only to those who have not professionally published a novel or short novel, or more than one novelette, or more than three short stories, in any medium. Professional publication is deemed to be payment, and at least 5,000 copies, or 5,000 hits."

I'm thinking I'm not eligible because I've been paid for every short story I've published even if the amounts are small (highest was like $125 but the rest were like more token payments).

How am I supposed to know if some place had 5,000 copies or hits? Even the highest paying publication I've sold to was a tiny mag.

I feel stupid to have to ask, and I think I read something about this here before, but I can't find it.

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
They're really talking about professional markets. I believe a good guideline is that if you're eligible for active SFWA membership, you're probably not eligible for WotF.

The token payment markets don't count.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
snapper
Member # 7299

- posted      Profile for snapper   Email snapper         Edit/Delete Post 
You're eligible. The publications they are considering is ones like Asimov, Analog, Fantasy and Science Fiction, those sort of publications. In short, it needs to be SFWA qualified for it to count.
Posts: 3072 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babooher
Member # 8617

- posted      Profile for babooher   Email babooher         Edit/Delete Post 
thanks, I didn't want to submit, wait for a response, only to find out I waited for nothing since I was ineligible. I'd rather get rejected for sucking than for being too stupid to read the rules.

Or just not get rejected...

Posts: 823 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
In the US I think you have to clear more than $500 in any one contract to start to be considered a minor pro, but I believe there talking working journalists and writers who are clearing enough money to live on, or have been awarded enough to be consider professional. If somebody has you on there payroll you are a professional. If you're just submitting to a bunch of people and getting a few hundred here or there, the easiest question to base it off of - do you pay taxes on it and claim the money has been awarded to you for contract writing service, or did the company who gave you the money make you fill out a tax form, and declare you a writer for there company. Single contract? Multiple contract? If the government acknowledges taking your money I hate to break it to you. You are right on the line if not over. That's how the US government looks at that $500 line. If you get a hundred here or there they don't care so much but if you are working some sort of writing job you are a professional. If you are on the clock for anything unless your in training you are now considered a business professional at it. Even if your flipping hamburgers at the lowest dive that's why you can be held accountable for any wrong doing.

That's the basics I understand, but a contest can declare anything a professional, but if you haven't won any major competitions or belong to a any form of writing guild or have a working job at writing I think you'll be fine.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
You could email and ask Joni. I'm in a similar boat - lots of sales, even a couple at pro rate - but I'm generally of the impression that I still qualify.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.