Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Authorship in different genres?

Author Topic: Authorship in different genres?
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I have been debating for some time the topic of pseudonym use as it pertains to authors writing in different genres. I know the issue of pseudonyms has been discussed before, but it was in the context of having an unusual, non-western real name (I do fall in that category), and whether or not the name would be a hindrance to publication.
My inquiry for all of you, however, is more about use of the same name across multiple genres. Personally, I write in two genres. The first is contemporary/literary/memoir which I am lumping in one group, and then speculative which is why I am here in the first place.
I can't make up my mind about whether or not I should use my real name for one category and a pseudonym for the other. It makes sense to use my real name for the contemporary/literary/memoir because the topics are related to my ethnicity in some fashion. So I wonder if I should also use my real name for the speculative work or use something else. Does anyone have experience with this sort of dilemma? Is it best to use separate names for separate genres?

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited August 11, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
In my experience, most authors who write across multiple genres use a different name for each genre. The difference may be very slight (e.g. Iain Banks vs Iain M Banks) or it may be complete - to some extent that depends whther the writer wants readers to know that they are the same person or not.

The use of different names for different genres is, as I understand, preferable for bookshops/distributors as regards ordering.shelving and marketing work.

I fully intend to use a different name if I write non-speculative fiction. As I am already published under my own name, my non-SF work would be under a pseudonym (potentially, under more than one). If you seriously intend/expect to write and publish in multiple genres, a reasonable case can be made for using pseudonyms across the board.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I have the exact opposite problem, with the same need, as you do Osiris - I have a very common name, which is shared by many writers, artists, and a very famous photojournalist. The combination of my first two initials preceding my last name is also very similar to a famous sci-fi writer. I have come to the conclusion that the only way to ever differentiate myself from any of these others is to go by a pseudonym.

I will most likely choose - Philo C. Nemas

In a related question: Does anyone know if WOTF allows for the use of pseudonyms?

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Teraen
Member # 8612

- posted      Profile for Teraen   Email Teraen         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. I just barely figured out what your name means, philo.

Nice one.

Posts: 496 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I too am interested in mixing genres, as I happen to enjoy writing both contemporary/literary and scifi/fantasy. However, I figure the bookshop can keep my work segregated enough so I don't see the need for a pseudonym there.

Then again, if a publisher asked me to write a bodice-ripping pirate romance I might take up a pseudonym...

Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
The book stores are the primary reasons for using a pseudonym when writing between genres. It has to do with the way books are organized on the shelves - First by genre and second by author's name.

Booksellers desire to have all of one author's work in a single location - this is a marketing tool more than anything else, but it also makes it easier for customers to find books by their favorite author(s).

If an author (with one name) writes across genres, it puts the booksellers into a conundrum - they can't decide where to put the writer's books. If a writer uses a pseudonym, it makes their lives easier, and they will like the author more (maybe).

On a side note: philocinemas is Greek for one who loves movies (a friend of cinema). My chosen pseudonym will be a variation of "friend with enemy" or "friend/enemy" depending on how one interprets the "C". Oddly enough my first two initials and the Latin root of my last name are featured in the pseudonym.

Edited to add: Sorry Tchern, missed what you said first time around.

[This message has been edited by philocinemas (edited August 11, 2010).]

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the responses all. I think I may go with a double abbreviation style name, Where I use initials for the the first letter of my first and last name and spell out the last from the last name. This works in a sense because my last name is actually three words in my birth tongue.

My only concern with using a pseudonym are the legal ones. I have heard somewhere you should register a pseudonym with the government if you are going to use one for legal purposes. Is this true?

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about registering with the government. It is like a trade name. You wouldn't register it unless you were creating an LLC or corporation using the name.

Your contracts with publishers would be in your real name. So it isn't needed from a legal standpoint.

I use a pseudonym for all of my speculative stuff (except WotF) and since I also want to write thrillers, I plan on using my real name for that.

When you submit under a pseudonym, you use that name as the byline on the mss and your real name and address either on the mss or in the body of the email, if it's an electronic submission. All of my novel queries are in my own name. The pseudonym will come up later if I snag an agent or editor.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited August 11, 2010).]

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
The pseudonym will come up later if I snag an agent or editor.

That's when, not if.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

So does anyone know if WOTF allows the use of pseudonyms?
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Such are the demands of my ego that, for the time being, everything I write goes out under my own name. Even this.

(The only time I sent something out under some other name was when I made a stab at a Harlequin Romance...there, you have to write under a woman's name, whatever sex you happen to be. Didn't matter, the thing was deservedly rejected. But I remember the name and might someday revive it for something else.)

There's a certain issue of copyright and what name you can copyright something under...I'm told the traditional way of handling it is to put a notice in the "LEGAL NOTICES" section of your local paper, along the lines of "REAL NAME is doing business as PSEUDONYM." (I forget the exact formula, not having had occasion to do this, ever.) Just like you were opening a restaurant or something. Then you can operate as a business, sign for things with that name, and so on. (Some locales require fees for starting businesses...check things out beforehand.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
"Each entry must have a cover page with the title of the work, the author's legal name, a pen name if applicable, address, telephone number, email address and an approximate word count."

This is under #6 in the WotF Contest Rules:
http://www.writersofthefuture.com/contest-rules

I haven't ever submitted anything so I am no expert, but the fact that they let you include a pen name makes me think that they would allow you to go by a pseudonym. At least if you make it into the print collection. Anyone have more insight or insider knowledge on how the pen name/ pseudonym plays out for WotF?

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know about changing names when switching genres, but I read in one of my writing books that it's a good thing to do to keep the numbers up on the amount of book copies you have printed. Say like your first publication puts out 5000 copies. Let's say only 3000 sell. You submit another book to the same publisher. Since your first one sold 3000 copies, they only print out 3000 copies of your second book. If this trend continues, you would soon be out of business. But if you write under a new name, you are, once more, considered a first time author and have 5000 copies printed under the new name.

I can't remember the author who's done this, but I believe he writes the "Area 51" series among others. He says he uses one name for awhile and then picks a new one and starts all over again. I think he said he's gone through ten or fifteen different names using this system.

Anyone know if there's any proof to his claim?

As for my Hatrack user name; In some respects I wish I could change it to my real name. It's given me a few headaches when I use my real name when sending my stories out for crits. I made up Crystal Stevens when I was a kid, and my brothers and I would play out stories we'd make up as we went along. Crystal has more-or-less been my alter ego for quite some time, and I've debated for the last few years whether to write under that name or my real one that happens to be Ginger Karns.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
On using pseudonyms, I think the major risk is unnecessarily separating your writing. Take Robert Mayer as an example. He's written around 30 books and used multiple pen names despite the fact that the vast majority of his books (besides a few Non-fiction titles) could probably be shelved in the SF&F section of the bookstore. I remember reading some of his Atlantis series back in high school and liking it, and I probably would have read more books he had written if I found them in the bookstore. The problem was he wrote his Atlantis series under the name Greg Donegan whereas all the rest of his writing was under other names (like the Area-51 series written under the name Robert Doherty). If you use multiple names you run the risk of loosing readership crossover between your books or series.

** Crystal, it seems we were thinking about the same author at the same time. I didn't see your post when I wrote this. I hadn't known about his reasons for switching names. That at least explains why he did it. Though I still wish I had known he had multiple names when I was reading his books.

[This message has been edited by bemused (edited August 12, 2010).]

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Bemused: I totally understand. That would irk me too if I was looking for more books written by the same author. He wrote a book on writing called "The Novel Writer's Tool Kit" that I picked up at my favorite used bookstore, and that's where he explained about the reasons for using a pen name. He uses Mayer as the author's name if you're interested in it.
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Peter O'Donnell wrote the Modesty Blaise comics and novels, and I liked them very much. He also wrote what was once called "romantic suspense" (I believe) under the name of Madeleine Brent, and I liked them very much as well.

I knew Madeleine Brent was a pen name, but I didn't know whose it was until it was announced several years ago.

By the way, the only difference between the terms "pen name" and "pseudonym" is that the first one refers to writing and the second one can refer to other things than writing. Writers can use them interchangeably.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

In a related question: Does anyone know if WOTF allows for the use of pseudonyms?

Yes. I believe John Brown won under a pseudonym.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.