Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Revision Advice

Author Topic: Revision Advice
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Some advice on revising your work.

http://www.wordos.com/what.htm

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I write and revise and revise some more and then send it out. In between these steps I let it sit, in an attempt to gain some perspective on it. Sometimes the process takes years...

I've found that if I spend too much time on revision, the activity gets like chewing gum too long...the gum has lost all flavor and my teeth and jaws begin to ache. So eventually I stop.

In recent stuff, I've been using my word processing program to pick out and change things. I've tried removing all the "-ly" adverbs. I've been trying to spot and revise verbs like has and [/i]was[/i] (and any and all associated forms), trying to make sentences and events and descriptions more immediate.

But I've come to wonder about that. The resulting sentences sometimes seem awkward...and doesn't seem to help much...and, besides, it takes a godawful lot of time to do it. I haven't yet put it into practice, but I plan to do less of it and leave some of all that in my stuff, first chance I get.

(Way, way back, I went through a period where I wrote one draft and sent that out. After a year or so, I realized (on rereading) that I needed to do something more to the stories...so I went back to revision.)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I liked how Ms. What described her very systematic means of revising and editing. In the past my revision process has been somewhat haphazard - her approach seems like it would be less time-consuming. I also like what What says about never giving up on a piece - (I could not resist).
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
Wow. All I can say is I'm glad I do not need to write for a living.

Good advice, though.
I am finding analytical revising (having just started the revision of my novel) far more difficult than the actual creative writing.
And nowhere near as fun.
It is far more work, than play--and I do [u]not[/u] want the story to seem over-worked.

Respectfully,
History

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
Thread Hijack:

Hey Skadder, you in LA?

I keep getting e-mails that folks are gathering.

I want to watch the award ceremony, but when they say 7:30 I have a feeling they mean PST and that's past my bed time. =(

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
UnHijacking thread :P

This is very good advice. Thanks for sharing this link, I bookmarked it.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
satate
Member # 8082

- posted      Profile for satate   Email satate         Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm...I think I'll go revise one of my stories now.
Posts: 968 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

No...I couldn't go to LA for various personal (not legal!) reasons. I will watch the webcast despite the horrendous 3.30am start for UK viewers.

[This message has been edited by skadder (edited August 25, 2010).]

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm really sorry to hear that, skadder. I'm sure it is a disappointment.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

I admit to being glued to the updates and am conversing with the winners, so am living the week vicariously.
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, one key thing about me and revisions---I'd much rather be putting out something straight and brand-new than revising something on hand and already written. This might, ultimately, affect my ability to handle revisions...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.