Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Request for a short critique on style/structure...

Author Topic: Request for a short critique on style/structure...
Gan
Member # 8405

- posted      Profile for Gan   Email Gan         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey folks.

I've a first thirteen from my novel in progress I'd like to share. My needs for a critique however, are not related to story. The beginning will likely be rewritten, and thus, any such critique would probably be a waste of time on your part. Though if you have the time, it wouldn't hurt either, as the generality of the critique would still be useful.

My main needs are a critique on the 'style' of my writing. I tend to have short and punchy sentences. Oftentimes, they do not follow grammatical rules (Incomplete sentences, starting with buts and ands, etc).

This is not me trying to have a particular style; rather, this is the writing that has naturally evolved from me. I enjoy it, but I realize many may not; and if I truly want a career in writing I'll need to revise it if this be the case.

I need to know if reads clearly. If it reads in a way that doesn't sound unnatural. All of those fun things.

If any of you have the time, I would greatly appreciate such a critique. I won't post it here, as I don't feel this would be correct forum. But, on the other hand, I don't want to advertise this as a standard story/hook based critique, either. Thus, if you wanted to help me with such a critique, I could just email it. (Or, if no Moderator has issues with me posting it in the first thirteen section, I could post it there)

In turn I will happily critique something of your own.

Thanks a bunch, folks.

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
Any advice you get on style will inevitably be that you write in the style of the critiquer. It is almost impossible to give advice on style.

Your style of writing should be clear and by that I mean understandable. You should use complete sentences where possible and use incomplete sentences sparingly and for specific effect.

Why don't you try and write the same intro in various styles, post them all and see which people think is best?

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
axeminister
Member # 8991

- posted      Profile for axeminister   Email axeminister         Edit/Delete Post 
I'll do a 10 page swap with you Gan.

Axe

Posts: 1543 | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveR
Member # 9128

- posted      Profile for SteveR   Email SteveR         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd be willing to read a few pages and comment on whether or not the prose is clear and effective. Email the ms to me and I'll do a quick read through of the first scene or two. If you have a particular market in mind, let me know.
Posts: 64 | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
"Any advice you get on style will inevitably be that you write in the style of the critiquer. It is almost impossible to give advice on style."

I don't think that's necessarily true, though it does take a critiquer more work to try and "think" in a different style.

Style and voice are not necessarily a constant for an author - it's possible to put on specific styles for a given work (indeed, if you write in first person, you pretty much have to unless you want all your narrators to sound the same).

I'll read a few pages if you wish, Gan.

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post 
'The Elements of Style' by Strunk and White give clear and fairly precise advice on a clean style of writing.

As Tchern points out, when writing in first you are essentially monologuing to the reader and can use a character's voice.

Posts: 2995 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Thank you folks. I need to get rid of a few errors I know are present, and then I'll send it.

Axe, a ten page swap sounds great. Let me get my 'fixed' beginning in place and I'll send you the file. May take a day or so (Or maybe not, I seem to be on a roll today).

Of course, none of this is in-depth editing, as I never do that before a final draft. Thus, certain silly mistakes and misspellings are certain to be present. I apologize in advance.

And of course, if any of you have any short pieces (Or longer pieces, in small parts) you'd like critiqued, send them my way. I can't promise to be too much use, but I'll certainly try my best.

Edit: I should note, the style does vary from character to character (In terms of sentence structure and vocabulary). I use this, I suppose, as a technique of viewpoint. Perhaps that makes a difference, but perhaps not. Either way, it will be great to see what you all think.

Thanks a bunch in advance!

[This message has been edited by Gan (edited August 26, 2010).]

Posts: 260 | Registered: Jan 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
I second Skadder's suggestion of Strunk & White. It has some great advice, and it is a slim book so it is not that intimidating.

While I don't think I can comment on "style" outside of my personal preferences, I could give you a crit that focuses on clarity and the like which are slightly less subjective. If you want to send me a few pages I will take a look and give you my thoughts.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
And a second thought:

You say you write in mostly short punchy sentences that aren't grammatically correct always. This can lead to some fatiguing reading. Though it can work as a style, Hemingway in particular was known for his short sentences.

You might want to try contrasting short sentences with long sentences to play with pacing and emphasis and see how this affects your writing.

Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
(Or, if no Moderator has issues with me posting it in the first thirteen section, I could post it there)

That's what the Fragments and Feedback areas are for. Just say what you want in the way of feedback when you post the 13 lines.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gan
Member # 8405

Thanks, Kathleen. I wasn't certain given the nature of this first thirteen; next time I will post it there, instead. My bad! I'll wait to post it there now though, as I've sent it out to a few folks already.

Bemused & Skadder: Strunk and White is one of my favorite books on writing, though in the past I've tended to stick too closely to some of the rules. I'm glad (Though certainly not surprised!) others suggest it, too.

Bemused: I will send you a short bit of the current copy. Thanks!

Edit: I forgot to mention, the story is Fantasy, but more low-fantasy. Magic will not play too huge a role. In addition, some of the creatures within the story could be described as 'Dark Fantasy' I suppose. I'm going for a more brutal and realistic view of a medieval society. Not that everything is as the middle ages would have been, but rather, I want things to be gritty and real. People have bed buckets for urine, and not everyone smells of fresh bath salts. Fighting styles, in particular, I'm trying very hard to write as realistic (Though not so overburdened with detail as to become tedious).

[This message has been edited by Gan (edited August 26, 2010).]

genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Gan,

I might be a little late to this but if you want to send me 10-20 pages I'll be happy to take a look. You could even send from two different stories if you like, since you're asking about style. I don't have anything to exchange right now but I will soon if you're up for it.

Send it on, if you like.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.