Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Did You Write? 09-06-10

Author Topic: Did You Write? 09-06-10
rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Did You Write? 09-06-10

For those who are unfamiliar with this note, this is a prompt to assist people to write. The idea is to reply to this note, whether you wrote or not, telling what you did this past week. After a few times, you will get some work in progress opened up and start writing, just so you can say you wrote. Eventually, it will become a habit, and you will write every week whether this note is here or not, and it will have done its job. Writing more than once a week is better, but each week is more than what many of us here actually write.
We don't care about what you write. Any new writing, editing (even if it is someone else’s), critiquing, blogging, article writing, writing assignments, world and character creation, technical writing, poetry, are all writing. Even an E-mail can be writing, if it is wordy, and pertains to story or writing.
How much is written does not matter how much is written. One word, if it is the right word, will count. When editing, it may be the purpose to have the word count go backwards, such as getting a piece down to the word count required for publications.

As for me I added 1420 words to my second Waxy story. The problem is that I need to reduce it. I did check and saw I could remove about ten thousand words just by zapping the back part of the story. but another twelve thousand had to come off. My writing partner suggested I work on another story instead, one she had not worked on. The publisher we are aiming for will want to see my unadulterated style. This was one of my original posts of Waxy stories and the story is there. It needs a lot of work. In just the past few days, I added 1400 words to it. There is a whole lot that has to be removed, and a whole lot that has to be added. will see how it comes out.

I have 52 story ideas in my compost pile. that is not bad. some good ones are on top.
I finished the month of August with the 31 story ideas for the month of 31 days, and they cover 38 pages, at 22217 words. I actually could have added several additional stories to the end of the month, but chose not to, spending the time writing. this month, I will be off for a week at the end of the month, so I will likely apply myself to get as close to the right posted idea number by then.

AS to the question of the week,
I can honestly say

YES, I DID WRITE.

DID YOU WRITE?

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes I did. Some revisions. A couple of blog posts.

Something over 5000 new words on MAGE STORM and the draft for the query.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Still plugging away at my current WIP. Every time I think I see the end, I need to add something and it moves farther away. And for the next few days, I'm painting my bedroom so that will diminish my writing time. Hopefully within a week it will be finished.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
For the week and for today Yeah, I wrote:

Finished a story I started months ago. First thirteen lines are in the stories section. In away it might be good that I waited so kong to finish. During that time I came up with an idea of ow to deal with skipping time in the story. And a character gets into trouble and very recently I came up with how he got into that trouble.

Finished chapter seven of a novel, Working title "Storm Born". Barely started chapter eight.

Started a fight scene between my MC and a "ghost" in another novel "New Mage On The Block", one I started by accident. She will find that it's a breeding ground for these beings. It's only chapter two.

Did do a post for my Blog http://musingsofle.blogspot.com.

And redid a story for the third time for a critique web site,. I'll be sending it out someplace else when I finish redoing it yet again.

Seemed like there was something else I did, Oh Monday and Tuesday I started a third novel to get it out of my head Working title "Angel Among Us." But I think that title is for another idea.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
8500 on my novel (35k/120-140k)

Plus just under 4k for the writing challenge.

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Again, a little slower than last week, which was a little slower than the week before.

On the other hand, I did write up a thousand words of an interpolated scene in my latest revisions---brand new writing for the first time in a couple of months.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Re-wrote a synopsis and character arcs for my novel
Flash. Revisions to WotF Story. Outlined two alternatives for Snapper's challenge.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, about 12 pages on a new short story that I posted first 13 on the f&f forum.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Batousai530
Member # 9234

- posted      Profile for Batousai530   Email Batousai530         Edit/Delete Post 
The other day I decided that I couldn't put it off any longer, sat down and started on my novel that's been floating around in my head for the last two months. I only got a page and a half done but I'm just glad that I've taken the first step. Now the hard part will be to keep it up.
Posts: 2 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
xardoz
Member # 4528

- posted      Profile for xardoz   Email xardoz         Edit/Delete Post 
About 4000 words into a novel, started last weekend.

Just roughed in the arcs for the villain and two supporting protagonists last night, woke up this morning with a couple of solutions to some plot issues.

Posts: 81 | Registered: Dec 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
about 2000 words as this week was mostly editing the manuscript. I added a new chapter and a few paragraphs to it in the process.
Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Started writing a couple of times on the writing challenge, but kept changing up the starting point. Good story idea, but the opening hasn't been nailed down yet.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Merlion-Emrys
Member # 7912

- posted      Profile for Merlion-Emrys   Email Merlion-Emrys         Edit/Delete Post 
Just crits. Packing, moving, unpacking, lack of internet and various things have kept me pretty busy.
Posts: 2626 | Registered: Apr 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
bemused
Member # 8465

- posted      Profile for bemused   Email bemused         Edit/Delete Post 
I have to sadly and shamefully admit a lack of writing this week. *tear drop* I suppose it is to be expected with the first week of the fall semester, but I know if I don't create writing time now, its not going to happen later.
Posts: 99 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.