Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Question regarding non-english words

Author Topic: Question regarding non-english words
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm using a few non-english words in a story I am working on. In both cases, the words could be translated to english, but I think it is more flavorful to use the words relevant to the MCs character.

In the scene, the MC's mother is telling him about how the stars remind her of 'the Malaika.' This is a flashback, so the narration indicates that his mother had told him the Malaika are heavenly beings.

I could just call them angels, because basically that is what they are. I hesitated to do so because I did not want to infuse the western preconception of angels into the story.

So, is the line in which the narration explains the Malaika as heavenly beings important? Part of me wants to cut it out and leave it to the reader to guess from the context, but part of me doesn't want to confuse the reader either.

There is also a reference later in the flashback to 'Jibril', which is Arabic for Gabriel. This would also hint that the Malaika are angels. I'm just not sure if the name is close enough to "Gabriel" for the connection to be made.

Any thoughts on the matter?

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
While I like to explain by context rather than exposition, I think it's something you need to be very careful about - you need to be sure that the reader can make the right inference, that there aren't other possible interpretations. Just saying that "the stars remind me of the Malaika" means nothing; the Malaika could be virtually anything, because it's too internal to the character's experience and the reader is hardly likely to guess that she means angels. I'd suggest you need to find some way of adding a little more context... something like "the way the stars look down on us, wise and compassionate, reminds me of the Malaika" would give a better clue as to what you are talking about, though I am sure you can do better than that.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

I guess in this case an excerpt would make sense. This is how I have this section of the story structured right now:

“It’s like the Malaika, each and every one, are dancing in the heavens!” she had said. “Like a grand ball, Adelai, with everyone waltzing about everyone else!” She sighed. “If only Jibril would send his winged steed to take us to the party.”

Does it seem you can infer angels from this?

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited September 14, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I am not sure if I would get angels exactly, but I think I would get the right idea. Like from that, I would not think angels as messengers of heaven who act like guardians and all the standard angel imagery. I would get the idea of some sort of heavenly being, though if you then told me that they were green with purple dots, I would be cool with that. If you said angels and then told me green with purple dots I would be confused.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it works as it is. I get the heavenly being vibe. I don't think translation is necessarily necessary.
Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
Thought I saw "Jibril" rendered in Roman alphabet spelling as "Gebril" somewhere, but I don't remember where. There are so many different ways of spelling Arabic in Western tongues...be sure to find out where your spellings are coming from, just so you don't mix-and-match...at least not to any great degree...and that the words you use fit with each other...

Also I'm thinking that how you paint the "Malaika" as "heavenly beings" depends on whether they're referred to, or whether they appear on stage with the other actors...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

What you saw was the Egyptian dialect version of Gabriel. Unlike formal Arabic and all the other dialects, Egyptians pronounce the the J sound as a hard G as we do in English. In the story, the characters are from Jerusalem and so Jibril would be appropriate was to spell it.

In the case of my story, the Malaika are only referred to, and do not appear on stage. Its just a wistful moment for one of the characters.

PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Your excerpt was very descriptive to my mind. It gave me the distinct impression of angelic heavenly beings. I don't think you'll have any problem with it.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.