Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Adult Characters in YA/J novels

Author Topic: Adult Characters in YA/J novels
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
I have a two-track YA/J novel, with alternating chapters between the teen MC and an adult Co-MC. They don't meet until the latter third of the story.

I'm drawn to story structures like this, but is it a death nail for a YA/J story? I'm afraid an agent/editor won't consider such a story, fearing that the intended audience won't be interested in the chapters featuring the adult.

Thanks.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I suppose it depends on the story. If the adult MC is not an antagonist or has a vested interest in the success of the youth MC, then I can see a YA reader having the interest in the whole story.

Total suppositions on my part.

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kimlin
Member # 9239

- posted      Profile for Kimlin   Email Kimlin         Edit/Delete Post 
Dr Who is over 900 in UK libraries he appears in YA section

Posts: 49 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I think for you to market your novel as YA, you need to have the teen protag have the majority of POV chapters (even if it's 31 to 30.) It's not a hard and fast rule, but it makes it easy for you to market your novel as a YA one. Yes, other novels end up in YA that don't feature teens. Protags who are YOUNGER than YA are sometimes featured in YA (The Book Thief by Zusak is a recent example, protag starts out at 11, but the book is narrated by Death and set during World War II and deals with many heavy, dark themes. It's appropriately shelved in YA in my opinion. At my library it can also be found in the adult collection.)

As with any YA or work written for children, make sure that the adult POV is appealing to them -- an adult POV who is worried about the possible labor strike at the factory and stressing about bills will probably not appeal to kids. Kids, YAs in particular, tend to be quite self-centered in their worldviews.

Good luck! Hope this helps (remember it's just one opinion...)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
WouldBe
Member # 5682

- posted      Profile for WouldBe   Email WouldBe         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, KayTi. I wonder how many agents or editors will have a knee-jerk reaction and not even consider a YA story with alternate chapters featuring an adult.

"What's this?...Chapter 2 features an adult? Reject!"

The first chapter features the teen who, I think, clearly remains the focus of the story. Sigh. But I'm inclined to chuck the heavily tweaked adult chapters and do a rewrite.

Posts: 746 | Registered: Jun 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
Try mixing the two in one chapter. Sort of showing how they both relate. It may help when you go to separate the chapters later into the different POV's. Just a thought.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.