Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010? (Page 4)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010?
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

Yep, I'm past one half but I recently I remembered I'm doing Urban Fantasy. In UF any romance always has a rocky life. It seems to be one of the things that makes UF. So I need to make my MC's romance difficult. But my subconscious seems to know that for I have a set up just perfect for a little storm over the Love Boat.

I should have remembered that, In one UF novel I'm working on, even though I haven't worked on it for months, my MC is married, while he is advancing in his Mage career they are having problems. At the end of the book even though they have to work together(Or will have to if I ever get to the end)they will separate. But only until the next book. Even though she said something stupid she was going to do they get back together but....

And in another UF novel my MC is engaged. He ends up thinking she is having an affair with his best friend, she's not but she is lying about something. So he breaks off the engagement and cancels their wedding and has to stop the bad guy on his own and it isn't until the last he finds out she was lying about her family and even though the engagement is back on there is no new date for a wedding. Next book.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
In UF any romance always has a rocky life.

Really? I hadn't heard that that was an established part of urban fantasy. I've seen that in several of the UF I've read, but I just figured it was because romance in regular romance stories is rocky (almost by definition--what else serves as the conflict or tension in a romance novel if the romance isn't rocky?).

I don't think you need to feel that you're are stuck with a rocky romance just because that's what you've seen. I submit that this is one way you could do it your own way. Why not let the romance go comparatively smoothly, and let other things be the sources of conflict and/or tension?

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Really? I hadn't heard that that was an established part of urban fantasy. I've seen that in several of the UF I've read, but I just figured it was because romance in regular romance stories is rocky (almost by definition--what else serves as the conflict or tension in a romance novel if the romance isn't rocky?).

I don't think it is official but it is in every UF book I've read and in some I have just looked over. I should say in every book that has a romance. Two or three series do not have any type of romance going on- but at least one of those is developing one, it looks like.

And you're right about a romance novels, as far as I know that is. But some of these UF romance problems are pretty heavy, though come to think of it a couple books have ordinary problems.

You're also right about mine breaking the mold. I've debated that in my mind. But in this novel, as I said, there's a set up already to go. I didn't plan it but it's there. I could make it something they overcome and let it be pretty much smooth from there. I believe the set up is something that would cause problems because they are both lying. Her about her ears and background, this one is revealed in a deadly evening with hell dogs, elves with long sharp knives and a unicorn watching it all. And my MC doing magic. Not to mention that he was almost torn apart by hell dogs just because he was with her. He might be lying about his job and why he carries a gun. I haven't quite decided for sure yet. But if he is a TV reporter is going to reveal to her his real job.

Things like that can be overcame (overcomed?) so I will think about it some more.

[This message has been edited by LDWriter2 (edited November 13, 2010).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Day 13: 56635 total 1356 for the day.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I've been a bit behind on my word count suddenly. I think I'm around 29,000 later or tomorrow I will add it al up.

But you all read this week's peep E-mail. Make sure you do.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Done. 73,410 and that's long enough for my MG/YA fantasy. I just buttoned it up and it's on the getting my WotF story rewritten.
Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Owasm,
Many, many congrats! You are a writing machine.

Do you mind if I ask a few questions since you have already reached your goal?
How do you feel your writing is during a NaNo sprint compared to regular? Is it worth it (for myself, my writing is so nasty I'm going to have to rewrite huge chunks - not editing has been torture) Is this going to change your regular writing habits? How do you plan on proceeding with your novel now that the rough draft part is done?
Thanks! I have really admired your determination in this.
And again, Congrats!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

My writing is okay. I wrote 105,000 words last year and my writing was worse, but I write very fast anyway.

The key for me was a solid outline and notes about the story in advance of starting. My muse takes over, but I know where the story is going so I write towards my goal and the writing flows better that way, at least for me.

I also never went back to edit. I had to go back if something really changed, but in a normal writing mode, you may delete a scene, not in NaNo. I read five hundred to a thousand words before I started every night (I gave myself 8 to midnight to write) to get into the writing groove.

My drafts are plot and character driven and that helps get the novel down. I'll have to go back and do grammar/spelling work and fill in description and then it goes out to some readers for review. Then I'll do a solid rewrite.

I hope that helps.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Interesting Owasm.

I may be up there this year. I know I wrote a lot of short stories last year but not sure if it was enough to be over 100,000 words but this year it could be altogether.

I do know I won't be near you for NaNo, even if I do get over 50,000, which the way things look now I might. I don't mean just a couple of thousand over.

And when I do finish my two, well three counting NaNo's, novels I'll be needing a First reader or two.

Owasm
Member # 8501

In my grammar check, I've managed to pick up a thousand more words today. It's crazy to see what you've put in as you sail on getting words down on paper.
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

This applied here I think because it has to do with how I spelled certain words in my NaNo novel but I spell the same words the same way in other stories and novels.

Anyway: Glimmer is actually Glammer. I'm surprised no one caught it.

And I have spelled Fairye wrong it's something like Fairaye or Faireye I need to find it again in the book I am reading. But this one may not be as important as Glimmer- Glammer.

Or is it Glammour ? Need to double check that one too, I guess with my swiss cheese memory.

Owasm
Member # 8501

I'm 80% through with my first-cut edit on my NaNo novel and hit my 75K target (75,729) for the novel tonight, late.

UPDATE: Nearly a day later, and I finished my edit and an MSWord grammar and spelling check. I'm formally done with my first draft. It ended up at 76,193.

[This message has been edited by Owasm (edited November 21, 2010).]

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Broke 40k before I went to sleep. I'm pretty sure 50k is a foregone conclusion, but right now, I'm only on chapter six, so I guarantee the book won't be finished. Still, the mystery part grew last night, and the story added it's own twist--which will only work better with the rough times that are coming for my protagonist.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
4000 words. 4000 words and I am done. My first Nano... sniff...
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I got about seven more words to git to 50 but it ain't done when I do.

Ah'l have another five to ten thousand to before I do The End.

50,000 may be Saturday at bedtime. I may have to rush the ending to be done by Tuesday, Monday be better.

But afterwards if need be Ah'll redo wat I rushed. And even add a scene or three.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
need a neutron bomb for my book, nothing is happening, I am so bogged down in the details, it's terrible!

I gave in tonight, having achieved my word count for the day, writing "Oh my gosh I think I can’t stop being boring in this book help!"

I think tomorrow I'm going to do one of those..."And then the little green men came down and stole all their gear" kinds of upheavals, or just "Three months later..." or something, because right now it's just the journey and absolutely nothing interesting happens on the journey.

Plot is still what I'm weakest at. I need to plow ahead to another section of the story where I have more in mind for what happens, and hope that the rest of the plot shows itself, so I can stop feeling like I'm just wasting words, writing this crapola. :/ (but I'm at 36,800 and will finish, just a matter of whether I can feel better about it soon.)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

KatTi

I'm sure you know this but journeys can be very exciting. They can get lost, run into zombies living in the backhills(oops that was a movie, I think), get stopped for speeding, loose something, pick up flowers that turn out to be intelligent and from another dimension(An old book), crush and not burn, find they are trapped in time bubble so everyday is the same and when the try to leave they end up back where they started, come across fresh dinosaur tracks when they stop to take a nature break in the middle of nowhere, or find a guy with a metal wristband that can turn into an energy weapon(New not out yet movie) Etc. etc. etc.

Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm behind By around 5000 words. Will be behind by more tomorrow. It will take a big effort to catch back up as I'm away Friday through to Sunday and there is little chance I will get any writing done. I had been feeling good about my novel but am starting to wonder whether I can make it now! Bother.
Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Delli,

I managed to crank out 10 000 words for the weekend. Try to get every snippet of time you can and you'll catch up.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

- posted      Profile for shimiqua   Email shimiqua         Edit/Delete Post 
KayTi,

When in doubt, add a car chase. Or danger. Or spies, or a kidnapping...

~Sheena

[This message has been edited by shimiqua (edited November 24, 2010).]

Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

I'm coming off a five day stint of pneumonia where I couldn't even open my eyes. Hope there's time to catch up.
And KayTi I feel for you. Somewhere in my text is a rant about the awfulness of not being able to edit. Sigh.
If anything I think this experience has almost convinced me that I really don't have any talent... just put the keyboard down slowly before anyone gets hurt by actually laying eyes on that monstrosity!

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I be aiming for Sunday night to finish. It'll be more than 50,000 words so we shall see.

I have between 39 and 40 now.

But bet you all can catch up-- recovering or busy or what not...you can do it.

Owasm
Member # 8501

Keep pounding them keys!
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
Getting close to 70 thousand words... and still not done with the story. *sigh* Don't think I'm finishing this one before 30-NOV.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rhaythe, you might fake it to finish by then. I know I'm leaving out scenes and putting in a couple I will have to go back and add a led up to, so I can be done by Sunday night. Of course I will add more afterwards. I want it at least 80 even though 90 would be better.

I need to get done before the 30th so I can spend an hour or so doing a spell check and not have to wait inline with the last minute people. Of course the 29th might be last minute to but hopefully not too bad.

You have plenty of words already so unless your going for the longest novel your amount will be good.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
44,700 words, and lucky to be there.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Rhaythe
Member # 7857

- posted      Profile for Rhaythe   Email Rhaythe         Edit/Delete Post 
It was a personal goal more than a Nano goal. I just wanted to be able to put "THE END" on the thing before the 30th. But apparently I write stories that are too long.
Posts: 487 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

46,400 hard won words. I'll beat this NaNo, but if every November is like this, I won't be able to do this next time.
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Wednesday night, I had to rush my wife to the ER. She had a tumor on her pancreas, and they removed part of her pancreas. Unfortunately, there is another mass on what she has left. If it is cancerous, there is a good chance I'll lose her. So, it's getting harder and harder to keep the NaNo commitment. Harder and harder to sleep at night, right now. I'm 4,600 shy of finishing, and I'll try -- and hope it doesn't turn to gibberish.
Owasm
Member # 8501

Fortunately, gibberish words count as much a real ones.

I am so sorry to hear about your wife and that's where your concentration should be.

- Owasm

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Rats, I have either miscounted or forgot to put in one or two sections. After adding up all of the chapters I end up with 3050 less words than my count up to this point.

With all the sections I have 20+, I don't feel like going back to double check right now so I'll just go ahead and say I have 44,440 words. If I did forget something I can add it later, it won't hurt if I'm actually over anyway.

And here I thought I would reach 50 today.

RoxyL
Member # 9096

InarticulateBabbler
I'm so sorry to hear about your wife. Definitely be where you need to be - with your family. In the end, Nano is just words on a screen.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Now that I have time to read the posts here:

Man, inarticulateBabbler, that's bad News. So many things come to mind that's it's hard to decide what to say. My great sympathies to you-Babbling is okay under the circumstances- Some people have found it peaceful to do something normal during this time but that's up to you-Reminds me that my problems are small.

I'll be praying for you.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Thank you. Pray for her. She NEEDS it.
shimiqua
Member # 7760

[hug] IB [/hug]
Posts: 1201 | Registered: Jan 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
Best wishes for your wife IB.

My NaNo story came in at just under 59k. I think I have another scene to add, so I should end up in the low 60s.

Anyone interested in trading crits on NaNo stories in December?

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Thank you. Pray for her. She NEEDS it.

I have but you both have needs right now. I've never been faced with something like that but I know people who have so I have a wee bit of understanding of what you are going through.

InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

Finished the NaNoWriMo commitment. I'm a third of the way--maybe--finished with the outline, so the rest will not go as quickly. Besides, now there are other concerns. Good Luck to everyone who hasn't yet finished.
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
You and your wife have my prayers, too, InarticulateBabbler.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

My NaNo story came in at just under 59k. I think I have another scene to add, so I should end up in the low 60s.

Anyone interested in trading crits on NaNo stories in December?

I might be very close to 50,000 despite my counting mistake, but I still hope to completely finish it by Sunday bedtime.

And I would be interested in trading crits even these are very long stories
And do you mean the way they are now? I will have add 25,000 words, at they very least.

But mine will be needing massive revisions in certain areas. I have doing some as I write--I write that way, one guy calls it the slinky way of writing-but I didn't take the time to redo certain scenes like the opening scene that I went back to when I was half way through and partially redid. I will have it spell checked but there is no doubt a lot of nitpicks that missed.

Of course with epublishing now we could keep them the length they are and epublish them as a NaNo set.

That would almost be fun to do....

coralm
Member # 9274

Good point! Mine will need revisions too, although I think it's fairly close to it's final word count now. I've been trying to let it rest for a while before doing my first complete read through, but I've been itching to take the red pen to it. I suppose we could put it off until after the New Year.

An E-Pub'd collection of NaNo stories is quite an interesting idea!

Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

If we did do E-Pub we weren't have to worry about the length but we would have to figure out how--as one set at one price, who would get paid how or a set were the buyers would have a choice of which novels to buy???

Could get complicated. But could be fun too.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Okay made it.

Now I still have to run it through a spell check before I verify it.

The last 4,000 words were the fastest I've ever written for that many. I won't say it's good writing.

But It ended at a good place to end. My MC is a hero, survived, she got all the children out, and her boyfriend hasn't quit on her even though she is still confused about that relationship. But that's okay, be something for the next book.

KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
I'm 3k from the finish and havent even reached the action climax yet, whoops. Ah, well, that's what first drafts are for. I'm probably within 10k of the end end, but will not likely reach that before tomorrow (but will reach 50k before tomorrow, I can do it!)

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shimiqua
Member # 7760

Got'er done. Final word count, 60,030.

~Sheena

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Yes, you can KayTi Go for it.... burn it down the track.

Congrats Sheena

I got mine in a tiny bit over 54,000 words.

So me is a winner

RoxyL
Member # 9096

Done at around 52k.
coralm
Member # 9274

You can do it KayTi! Plenty of time left.

Congrats to LD, Sheena and Roxy!

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Boy, all of a sudden NaNo web site got busy. I'm glad I verified mine earlier.

Got a comment to make on my local forum there if I can get back on tonight. See if anyone wants to keep writing and to start a writer's group locally. We could keep the write-ins going once a month or so.

But while I was there it looks like everyone from here made it. Or at least those on the NaNo Hatrack forum. Not sure if KayTi is on that one.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Speaking of epublishing and getting our novels ready for normal publishing.

I have been thinking about my novel and how to lengthen it. I said I would need at least 25,000 words. I'm making that 26,000 now. That would 80,000 words.

Today I decided I could easily add 1500 to bring it up to 55,500. Just add to the final scene which could use it anyway, and add a conversation or two.

But I'm not sure about adding 26,000 more words. I want to add two scenes, put in at the beginning something about abilities I gave my MC toward the end, add another couple of conversations. Maybe lengthen even more the ending. So instead of spending part of a day in the Nightland area of the Summerlands, she stays two days there. With more danger and more use of her magic which she needs to do anyway. But I don't think all of that would be 26,000 plus words. Something could come to mind when I start the rewriting but right now that's where it's at.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.