Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010? (Page 5)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Anyone Doing NaNoWriMo 2010?
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, I made it. Never really in question, I just let things slide the last few days so it was a bit crazier than usual (last 3 years I've finished both the story and Nano at about 55k words and 2 days in advance. Today I finished 50,642 and at 5 PM, lol.)

I am not at all happy with the story, but I realized I do have some cool stuff down. Again I have to work on plot, or more particularly how I lay out events and maintain tension in a story. I think I really must plan better for my next novel, I thought I had so much figured out with this one, but I think a solid outline with scenes (and using the Bickham concepts of Goal-Conflict-Disaster or along those lines as other writers-on-writing discuss) is the way I have to go.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Delli
Member # 9202

- posted      Profile for Delli   Email Delli         Edit/Delete Post 
Didn't make it - got to 38802. BUT I am still very stoked with that effort

Lots of excuses I could go into for not finishing but they really don't matter.

Really happy with the story idea - and I wouldn't have come up with it if it wasn't for Nano. So, even though I didn't finish, I'm not down about it - I'm still quite proud of myself actually

Congrats to those of you that did finish - which looks to be all of you Well done

Posts: 96 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jesse D
Member # 3241

- posted      Profile for Jesse D   Email Jesse D         Edit/Delete Post 
First time I've tried NaNo, and I won about an hour ago. Feels good. This is the first time I've finished a draft of a novel that I actually think might have a chance. I've got a lot of work to do before I'm ready to have people see it, but I'm pretty satisfied with it.
Posts: 77 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Congratulations to all those who made it.

Congratulations to all those who made the attempt.

- Owasm

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
Thumbs up. We Rock! Some harder than others; others faster than some, but nobody is a loser.
Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen the headlines for a couple of Nano articles but this one caught my attention.

http://www.csmonitor.com/Books/chapter-and-verse/2010/1129/NaNoWriMo-Should-you-love-it-or-hate-it?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+feeds%2Fbooks+%28Chris tian+Science+Monitor+%7C+Books%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

Note from Kathleen: I have tried at least ten times to edit this to fix the link, but I guess the link is too long--it won't fix.

[This message has been edited by Kathleen Dalton Woodbury (edited December 02, 2010).]

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Didn't make it - got to 38802. BUT I am still very stoked with that effort
Lots of excuses I could go into for not finishing but they really don't matter.

Really happy with the story idea - and I wouldn't have come up with it if it wasn't for Nano. So, even though I didn't finish, I'm not down about it - I'm still quite proud of myself actually

Good, that you got that far in one month. And good that you are happy with the idea.
As you seem to know you can still finish the novel. And if you try for the normal range for novels looks like your a bit over one third there.

You didn't say if this was your first time but if it is than you know what to expect next year if you do it. So this was nice practice as well as a good start on your novel

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I have mentioned that I am going to redo the ending...at stuff. The original idea was to just drop various editions to the scenes, with maybe a little tweaking to get the new stuff to fit with the old. But today when I started the process I decided it would be a whole lot easier and probably be better writing, if I would just rewrite the whole ending adventure from scratch. I will include a lot of stuff from the original ending but it will be a whole rebuilding not just a redecoration
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.