Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Query Challenge . . . Maybe

Author Topic: Query Challenge . . . Maybe
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Don't anybody go jumping off the deep end, yet. I'm still at the stage of trying to assess just how crazy I'd have to be to undertake this right now.

Assuming I am just crazy enough, how many people would be interested in a query challenge similar to the synopsis challenge a couple of months ago?

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
I would.
Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
What exactly would it entail?
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

quote:
What exactly would it entail?

Talking off the top of my head, without having had time to sit down and think things through.

• All participants would post their query(ies) by a certain date.
  • Queries to be no longer than 400 words (which is pretty long for a query). Since the entries would be so short, they could be posted directly in the thread, like a 13 line challenge.
  • Since they are so short, it might possibly go two rounds. First round, post your query for the other participants to critique. Second round, post your revised query (again, by a specified date).
  • Then, by a final specified date, everyone would have to vote on the query that would be most likely to get them to ask for a partial if they were an agent.
  • Usual rules: You have to critique all the queries and vote or you'll be disqualified.
  • I'd probably allow something like two weeks for each phase except the voting.

That's about it.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited October 29, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I definitely need the practice.
I'm in, if you decide to do this.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
I love the idea of it, but would not be up for it for another month.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
I also would love to join, but with attempting nano, I'm unsure if I can right now.
Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I could go for it even though maybe not during Nov. I hope to be needing a query or two in a few months. My deadline was Christmas but Murphy has been sticking his big nose into my writing affairs. Anyway, I could use some practice.

As a PS I add that I came up with an idea for a story. Someone tries to get rid of Murphy's Law. Scientifically and/or magically.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

Hmm. Hadn't considered NaNo, since I'm not doing it. Possibly best if I put this one off for a little while.
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
By the time you do this, I'll probably join in.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm in Meredith, but you'll probably want to wait till after nano though I'm not doing it this year, plus that will be the end of wotf q1 2011 group for us to submit. Whatever you decide I could use the practice.

I'm just trying to survive Halloween weekend - I was a sheriff last night with the six guns and everything. Not sure what I'll be tonight for Saturday _ yes I have parties all weekend _ I'm a glutton for punishment. I miss the days of taken kids around, but my daughter's older now (23) and no grand kids yet. So what the heck. No reason to waist my time on this blue marble.

Happy hallows eve everyone,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I can and am doing Nano and I can and will do a query letter, but I can't, and wish I could go to halloween parties. But I've tried to find a certain costume in years past and I can't. A Roman Centurion, but I think I would like one with a Knight's informal uniform; chain-mail. Or dress as Harry Dresden, just need a long white trench coat and a staff. Or Joanne Walker.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I might - I'm playing with the idea of turning a current WIP into something novel (or novelette) length.
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.