Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Munchies for your Muse

Author Topic: Munchies for your Muse
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, if enough people say this belongs in Grist for the Mill (as in one or more), I'll move it there.

But I thought it would be interesting to see if, along with the topics on "music to write by" and such, anyone wanted to share their preferences on what to munch while they write.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm partial to crunchy munchies, and what I really like is dark chocolate with substantial nuts (as in Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Roasted Pistachio Toffee and Trader Joe's Swiss Dark Chocolate with 30% Whole Hazelnuts).

Sad to say that we don't have Trader Joe's where I live, so I have to pig out when I get near one.

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
I live in Massachusetts, where we have Trader Joes in just about every town lol.

I like my writing like I like me movies, salty and crunchy.

Though to be honest I usually drink coffee or soda and don't much on anything.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Since I'm trying to lose weight, I'm boycotting this thread. Munching on a carrot at the moment.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited November 19, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
We have a couple of excellent bakeries and mom'n pop coffee houses here In Denton, TX. I tend to get up early and spend a coupla-three hours at the keyboard so my thing is; Blueberry/Cranberry muffin or French Toast bagel or fresh made Banananana Nut Bread and the 'endless cup' of hot joe... mmmmmm.
At night it is more like Whole Grain Wheat Thins and a room temp Shiner Bock... oooohhhh.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Elan
Member # 2442

- posted      Profile for Elan           Edit/Delete Post 
I like drinking coffee. I fire up my computer first thing in the AM and slurp hot coffee and write until I have to go to work, or on my days off, until I have to break to eat. For a chocolate snack, Lindor's Truffles are a favorite.
Posts: 2026 | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
These are my - for writing or graphic design snacks.

1 from this list - coffee, hot cocoa, water, soda, or a glass of wine.

1 from this list - tostitos, m&m's, goldfish crackers, oreo's, blueberry muffin, popcorn.

1 from this list - grapes, strawberries, slice of cantaloupe/watermelon, orange, or apple.

If sketching or painting everything changes because of problems with lead or paint on the hands, and far to much risk for an oops moment 'spillage' .

Sometimes I'll get fancy stuff like trader joes dark chocolate raspberry sticks or a fancy drink, but it's not to common.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Diet Dr. Pepper
Dove Dark (Promises)
Chips (anything with flavor, but not too hot)
Popcorn

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee or water.
Oreos - traditional or golden. Or some other sweet, bakery-type item.
On rare occasion, a salty snack like Ritz Chips.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
When I'm serious about my writing, water or decaf. When I'm serious about my munchies, just about everything else.
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 

I don't munch while near my computer, well I don't snack much anyway, even though I do drink. On Sundays I treat my self to one of the hot Starbuck drinks if it's cold outside and one of their cold drinks if it's hot outside. Different flavors one different Sunday. Right now I'm playing with Pumpkin spice with chocolate and/or carmel drizzle.

I like the peppermint white chocolate mocha but sometimes it doesn't sit well with my gut. Never can figure why only sometimes.

Most nights I may have some type of fruit juice-usually the newer mixed types- or pop. Well, at work I do snack-fruit, nuts and sometimes sweets- while writing on my laptop because there's not enough time during break to eat first.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
Coffee and a big bag of carrots (waves at MartinV).

Unless my evil husband has bought some form of chocolate, in which case I am unable to write ("there's chocolate in the cabinet. Focus! Focus. Okay...he pulled the sword...Hey, there's chocolate in the cabinet") until I have eaten it all.

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
For munchies: during my more health-conscious streaks, I like either walnuts, salted peanuts, or raisins. During those times when health considerations are as alien as some of the characters I create, chocolate is the answer.

For drinks: in the summer, I prefer plenty of ice water. Most of the time, however, it's usually cola. I don't normally drink alcohol while I write, but rum has made an appearance in my studio from time to time.

Oh...and, depending on what my schedule for the day looks like, I've been known to eat entire meals at my desk while I write. I've become quite a good one-handed typist.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
At my computer, when confined to things like right now, I'll bring in a can of soda (usually Mountain Dew), or occasionally a bag of potato chips or a brownie.

But when I dig in and get to writing, I usually forget they're there...by the time I come up for a drink, my can of Mountain Dew has warmed up...

I'll eat all kinds of other things anywhere else in the house...

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
My muse enjoys anything with caffeine and sugar. Chocolate covered coffee beans are one of my favorites!
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Drink -
Diet coke - drink of choice, although on hot summer nights, a cold beer doesnt hurt and sometimes loosens me up to write a little different.

Munchies -
I try not, too many laptops have gotten greased up from potato chips and such. But if I do, I am on the trail mix bandwagon now.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

This isn't a bad discussion and it does have to do with writing, Kathleen.

But when I first saw the title I thought it might deal with how to feed a Muse. In other words how to get your Muse healthy and active.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

Well, we can talk about that, too.

It's been years since I've been able to read a How-to-Write book all the way through. Reading one tends to "feed my muse" so that I have to put it down and go write. So that's one thing that works for me, when my muse gets hungry.

MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
All I have to do to feed my muse is say to myself: "You know, that story isn't going to write itself." And if the lazy me says "But I don't know how to write this particular chapter!" I say to myself "Work on another chapter. That one will come to you by itself." It usually does. I'm on 30,000 word count after a couple of months, I plan to be done by new year.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited November 21, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
I have tried to follow OCS's advice to reeeaaaadddd! and read and read......

When I read really great books it helps me focus on my goal of improving my skill and finding a 'voice' which is natural to me. Most of my learning has come from reading the genre based books I am interested in writing, such as CJ Cherryh, Frank Herbert, OSC, Jim Butcher (all vastly different from each other). It inspires the muse into action ~ much like lighting a fire under the camel...

I recently read R Ludlum's Bourne Identity again after two decades... blew my ever-lovin socks off. Oddly enough it brought everything I'd read in OCS's two books, Writing SF&Fantasy and Character & Veiwpoint to a meaningful, usable reality. My muse, who has been vacationing in Egypt for months suddenly appeared at my doorstep. I am now reading Cherryh's 'Morgaine' series for the sheer soul-food of it. And a healthy diet it is.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
I really like water, and I have to watch myself when I'm writing because I sometimes drink too much, and then I don't spend much time with my butt in the chair.

As for munchies I go through salty/sweet moods, but whatever it is it needs to be something to suck on. The only time I like cheese puffs is when I'm writing.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Well, we can talk about that, too.
It's been years since I've been able to read a How-to-Write book all the way through. Reading one tends to "feed my muse" so that I have to put it down and go write. So that's one thing that works for me, when my muse gets hungry

Lately I haven't had that problem my Muse seems to be over active. I have all types of ideas I don't have time for. Some are in a file. Some I have started- I have a lot of slips of paper... two inches by three notepaper hanging around-and have started a third novel(which doesn't include the Nano novel) just to pacify my Muse and get the idea out of my head.

But I find that I don't always have to actually read a book for my muse to jump up with an idea. Just looking at the cover pic or the description of the book is enough. That is how I got my idea for my novel Storm Born. There is one out there with that title already, I saw it and my Muse liked the title so came up with my idea.

Reading does influence what I come up with. I have been reading a lot of Urban Fantasy lately which may be why in the last year or so almost all of my ideas-both short stories and novels- have been UF. A few months ago I decided that was enough UF I'll go back to space opera and other SF....nope I couldn't let go of UF. I have written a couple SF and maybe one regular fantasy but mostly UF.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

A PS I just thought of.

What I like also feeds my Muse.

I came up with two ideas for Bolo stories...love those AI tanks. And have my own version which I would love to do someday. I think they may be different enough to not be a copy but I still haven't settled on a main weapon. Thought about a double pulse laser or a EM pulse but ....

Which would explain my Muse's obsession with UF, I referenced last note. I have also come up with two Honor Harrington stories and would love to be invited to write in that universe. That invite is a looong way away.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Not sure if there's a better thread for this but speaking of feeding our Muses.

Here are two ideas that coudl do that,

One is that there's a blue moon this month. Usually a fantasy or UF type of event but could be SF.

The second idea is this:

http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20101120/sc_space/tinyasteroidthatbuzzedearthisafastspinningrock

All types of ideas could come from a spinning space rock. And it's the opposite of the first idea. Usually this would be a SF but it could be fantasy in any incarnation.

Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I am going to take this VERY literally and say that I love to munch on Pringles while I write (sour cream and onion is a current favorite).

But seriously, it's all about nourishing the imagination. Reading a lot and paying attention to the world around you usually does the trick.

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
EP Kaplan
Member # 5688

- posted      Profile for EP Kaplan   Email EP Kaplan         Edit/Delete Post 
Tea, hot or cold, to drink. Sometimes water or cranberry juice. Sometimes an ale; I don’t like to drink too heavily, especially while writing, but if I poured myself a beer to watch a hockey game, and didn’t finish it, I’ll usually kill it while I’m at my desk, then switch over to tea or juice.

Snacks: Bagels or matzoh during Pesach (Passover), but since it’s impossible to eat matzoh without leaving more crumbs than Hansel and Gretel, I have to eat that in the kitchen. Grapes or bananas, the nice balance between “fresh fruit” and “won’t make a mess of my keyboard”.
Oh, and the greatest snack ever devised by humankind: leftover Italian food.

Posts: 180 | Registered: Jul 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.