Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Fame - could you handle it?

Author Topic: Fame - could you handle it?
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
Phil's post about 'standing out' got me thinking again about fame. I've thought about this a couple of times over my life and I am not surprised that I'm thinking about it again.

So the question? - Could your life withstand the pressure of real fame?

So let's say you get lucky enough to become the next big thing like twilight or potter. Could your life to date withstand all the scrutiny you would receive.

I've thought about this a couple of times because I've had a pretty colorful life so far, and the thought of old friends, girlfriends, and enemies coming out and relating my entire past could be quiet a story in itself, but I could only imagine what would be said by all those who I didn't end on the best of terms with.

So what do you think. If you had hundreds of thousands of people/press searching out every skeleton in your closet do you think you could handle the tempest?

It's one of the only things that gives me pause on this road I'm on. It's that - what if I do succeed? Do I really want to subject my life - my friends and family to the wolves? Then I think - well, yah. Kind of selfish of me I know but what the heck.

Let me know your thoughts,

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
Good luck to anyone trying to dig much up in my past. I practically squeak when I walk.

Probably one of the reasons I have so much trouble writing villains.

[This message has been edited by Meredith (edited December 01, 2010).]

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
I am fairly squeaky myself. I had a bad experience going through basic training in the US Army in '92, which would make for a nice comedy one day, and I had some credit troubles early in my life, but I have seemed to come out of each situation unscathed. Other than having over thirty jobs in my lifetime, and only having been "let go" from two of them, I have not accumulated any other known skeletons. So there you are - I have put my dirtly laundry out to be seen by everyone. Bring on the fame!
Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
haha you have a good point there, sir.
but that is also why there are pen names i guess. well that and for when you write something you really don't want to be associated with.

the only problem with that is i dont think editors would want to publish my stuff if it had a by line of 'eyegore.'

also i don't foresee myself writing anything for the teen market. which seems to the group that 'just has to know everything about their favorite xxxx'

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
You know I have a running joke with my in-person writer's group about how I want to get so famous that we have to move because my fans have found where I live and are camping on the lawn and otherwise inconveniencing the neighbors. (But shh, the joke will be on them, we'll move within a 1 mile radius. LOL)

Bring it.

I'm less worried about skeletons than I am about the pressure to work MORE that fame would bring (currently when I'm actively writing it's very much a part-time gig while I am the primary at-home parent and juggle consulting work on the side.) I'd also want my children's privacy respected, though I'm a bit of two minds about this, as I do discuss various child-related things on my personal blog. However, I always do so with an eye toward if they were reading it, how would they feel (very often it's me bragging about them!) This is my general perspective with online communications of all sorts - I want to keep up appearances and make a good impression/act professionally/respectably. I think that will help when (notice the choice of word, lol) fame hits.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
I tell everybody everything anyway so I've got no secrets. Well, except for that one...

Can't wait to be famous so I can monumentally screw up, go to rehab, and get my own reality show.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
While fame might be a whole new set of issues to worry about. The money that goes with the fame, would end my families streak of poverty. Hmm...people waiting on my lawn...wish I had a lawn...big dogs and warning signs fix that. Worst case maybe the old racking of the shot gun would do.

I think I am willing to take those chances.

[This message has been edited by MikeL (edited December 01, 2010).]

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I gave some thought about it. I think the most important thing is to separate your professional and personal life. Never let the public see your personal life; that is called personal for a reason. For instance, Terry Pratchett appears in public often but he never drags his family in front of the cameras. His wife made it very clear she does not wish to be in the spotlight and that is how it is.

quote:
I've thought about this a couple of times because I've had a pretty colorful life so far, and the thought of old friends, girlfriends, and enemies coming out and relating my entire past could be quiet a story in itself, but I could only imagine what would be said by all those who I didn't end on the best of terms with.

Good god, you're not running for president! So what if they find out stuff about you that you are not particularly proud of. I think it can only help your sales, not diminish them.

[This message has been edited by MartinV (edited December 02, 2010).]

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
History
Member # 9213

- posted      Profile for History   Email History         Edit/Delete Post 
I do not have illusions of, nor desire for, the type of fame you describe. If someone reads something I write and says "I could relate" or "I learned something of myself, or of another" or simply "I enjoyed that," then I would be content.

I believe we all have our fame, or infamy, among those with whom our lives intersect. I've been surprised by it. I attained notoriety in college as the university paper's cartoonist, a shadow of Gary Trudeau. I made some laugh and others very angry. As a physician, I similarly have a certain amount of fame (and a minute amount of infamy) from my patients. People treat you different and have different expectations of you when you are a physician. The profession almost necessitates a persona that provides the patient the comfort to share their fears and intimate concerns. I accept this. I've trained doctors in my specialty and, meeting them in later years, I find they too have created a persona of me to which they offer a degree of respect, even when their professional achievements have exceeded my own.

For all these groups of people I am what they require me to be.
And this is the price of "fame."

What keeps one sane is having a core group of family and friends who know you, flaws and all, love you anyway, and let you be just you. Praise HaShem, I am blessed with this.

Respectfully,
Dr. Bob

Posts: 1475 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crank
Member # 7354

- posted      Profile for Crank   Email Crank         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sure somebody from my past will be more than happy to dig up something unfortunate I did or said back in the day...if they so choose to be a tabloid-esque type of person.

I've learned during my running of this obstacle course called life that certain personality types will grab for their own level of attention and fame at the expense of others, whether their claims match reality or not. Who here hasn't been that type of a victim at least once in their life?

Just like what awaits us after our physical bodies expire, we really have no true concept of what fame will be like until we actually get there. So, if fearing what somebody might do or say against my life is the only thing short-circuiting my efforts to become a successful author, I would remind myself that the dirt digging could happen against me even without my having achieved fame, then go right back to perfecting the craft that will lead me to that fame.

S!
S!

Posts: 620 | Registered: Dec 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I think I'd like to be rich, but I think I could also do without being famous. For one thing, my reading of celebrity biographies makes me conclude that fame---fame on the "Harry Potter" or Fab Four level---creates monsters, no matter how the celebrity in question starts out or intends to be. In the end, they're consumed by their fame...and I'd just as soon not be.

I'd settle for being known among the knowledgable---i. e. "being a successful writer." I took a glance at this morning's USA Today best-seller list---I don't have the time or patience to break it down and eliminate all the books-by-famous-people-from-other-walks-of-life and such...but there are several works by writers whose works I've seen around, but who I know nothing about, not even what they look like. I'd settle for that.

(There are at least three writers on the list who, I know, don't have to bother with any aspect of fame anymore, because they're dead. I don't know if that's worth it...)

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Owasm
Member # 8501

- posted      Profile for Owasm   Email Owasm         Edit/Delete Post 
Gimme a chance! I'll take up the challenge.

Most of those with 'fame' are cinema and show biz celebrities. We don't know if they were messed up before fame. Some people who have hit the jackpot were driven jackasses before. They get all the publicity.

Look at others and their fame? We only see those that make it into print. I don't think you can generalize that everyone will turn into a monster. I don't think I would, although don't ask my wife. She may well think I'm a monster at this very minute and no amount of money will change that.

Driven people often succeed more than non-driven people and the character traits that promote the driven behavior may very well be accentuated with the higher degree of resources and the addledness of adoration.

Posts: 1608 | Registered: Feb 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
My concern is the effect that would have on my kids. That is really the big thing for me. Though more of that would come from the kind of writing then the fame I think. Like I imagine Meyer's kids with her sparkly vampires have a harder time than Rowling's with Potter. And their is a lot of mean stuff said about Meyer and her work and I think it would be hard for kids to have mean stuff said about their parents.
Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
Sometimes I wonder how I would handle that much fame. I never expected to be another Rowlings, I used to think that I could do a few good books but not have fame on that level. Actually, I'm not sure if I would want that much fame.

Yeah, there are a couple things in my past I wouldn't appreciate the whole world knowing-notice I said a couple-but that wasn't my fear. The money would be good but I don't want the media following me around or always being recognized on the street. Now and then wouldn't be bad, but not all the time. And there's the danger of getting a big head and losing touch with who I am.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
...come to think of it, I don't know what J. K. Rowling looks like, either...
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
AllyL
Member # 9246

- posted      Profile for AllyL   Email AllyL         Edit/Delete Post 
Wendy Mass spoke at the school where I teach. She's big in Middle Grade fiction, for those of you who've never heard of her. Her books are assigned reading in many schools. She's friends with Meg Cabot. Do you know how much money Meg Cabot made when The Princess Diaries was made into a mega movie starring Anne Hathaway? Zero. Even really famous writers don'e achieve very much fame or make millions. Yes, there's James Patterson and Stephanie Meyer and J.K.Rowling... but what a teeny tiny percentage they represent.
Posts: 29 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

[quote]
.come to think of it, I don't know what J. K. Rowling looks like, either...
[/quote/

I don't know either even though I know I have seen a couple pictures of her. But I bet a very large percentage of her fans know.

There are a couple of writers I would know on sight. Jim Butcher, unless he cuts his hair, Isaac Asimov if he was still alive. Maybe Lisa Shearin. She has half a doze pics of her on her web site and she is kinda unique looking. I don't mean that in a bad way.

Others like David Weber and Glen Cook I wouldn't know even if I turned around suddenly and ended up face to face with either one.

But even on a mid level it could happen. I think I could live with it okay if it ever did happen. As I said before now and then. It's the huge fame level I wouldn't be sure about.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
Jim Butcher cut his hair
Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
Why even bother worrying about this?

Personally, I find the notion of fame of the sort that would make me recognizable to people I don't do business with extremely distasteful. But fortunately, I can file that in the same bin as the possibility I might be mauled to death by an escaped lion.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
Being mauled to death by a lion isn't one of the major worries in your life?
You need to go to the circus more, my friend

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

Johnny Carson once complained that one of the worst aspect of fame was being hit up for autographs while bellying up to a urinal.

On a more serious note, I gather Margaret "Gone With the Wind" Mitchell determined that her life would not change because of the fame that descended upon her after "GWTW" was published...and one of the results of that determination was that she never wrote another word of fiction---which had not been her intent at the start.

Will J. K. Rowling ever publish anything else?

MattLeo
Member # 9331

I should go to the circus more so I can start worrying about being mauled by an escaped lion? Why, when I can stay home and worry about germs instead?
Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
Rowling has published about as many novels as Hemingway. I imagine she'll write more books (according to wikipedia she's working on a couple works) but it looks like she's doing a lot of charity work and spending time with her family. There are worse fates for a writer (make billions, spend time with family and essentially retire)

Frankly, fame seems like one of those issues you trade up for, and I'd do it gladly. There are plenty of skeletons in my closet, but I could care less because if I become known enough that people drag them out, I'll be rolling in my millions laughing at them. And that's a problem I can live with

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

i think it would be much more fun err.. less sucky... either way... to die by being mauled by a lion than dieing from some disease... we all have to go some way mind as well make it entertaining for someone...
MattLeo
Member # 9331

Who said anything about dying? The horror of disease or being mauled is the transformation into something not the right shape for human.
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Rowling has published about as many novels as Hemingway.

Hemingway published 9 novels while alive and 2 more were published posthumously. He also published 6 collections of short stories.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

In my opinion, one must have a strong and sincere belief in oneself and his/her abilities in order to succeed at anything. When someone enters any pursuit thinking "I might get lucky" or "I might be good enough for that", that person is doomed for failure.

This is not about talent - it is about success. The two are somewhat related, but not entirely. If one does not believe he/she will become successful, it will most suredly not happen. Maybe Rowlings and Meyer did not imagine the degree of success they would end up having, but I guarantee that they believed they could do what they were attempting. I imagine them writing their stories and saying - "Wow! This is good. People are going to love this!"

Do I want fame? Some, yes, absolutely, because I want to be successful as a writer. I want to write something great! And I do believe in myself and my ability. This isn't egotism; it is what I need to continue. Otherwise, I'd just quit. There is no one in my life who believes in me more than I do. Most think I'm wasting my time. Believing in yourself is what it takes to accomplish anything you really want.

walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
On Rowling - I feel she might go the way of Lucas. She'll depart from potter for a while, write a couple things that people will probably say - not as good as potter - then will come back to potter in ten plus years. Maybe start here own company, etc. She's making so much on the first books/movies she really doesn't need to do much more except enjoy being rich and not letting that kind of world destroy her life.

quote:
In my opinion, one must have a strong and sincere belief in oneself and his/her abilities in order to succeed at anything. When someone enters any pursuit thinking "I might get lucky" or "I might be good enough for that", that person is doomed for failure.

Ok, Yoda Phil, I get it - "Do or Do Not. There is no try."

What would star wars have been like if Luke would have been going down the trench having second thoughts, "Hey, you know, I'm not sure I can do this. Everyone's shooting at me. Darth Vader's breathing down my back - Use the force luke! - Yah, but I'm not really good with the force right now, and if I do manage to blow up the Death Star think of all the fame and preasure I'll be under - I'll probably have to become a Jedi and be celibate for the rest of my life--but who knows maybe if I blow up this base station I'll get lucky with that cute princess before I start the Jedi life. I don't know--should I do this? How badly do I really want to be a Jedi? There is a wide open job market for Jedi's right now. Could be a good carrier move. Though fighter pilot doesn't seem like a good occupation since I'm the only one left alive right now! I don't know--What do you think R2? (Blam, Blam, Blam!) Holy Cr*p! They just blew R2's head off. Guy's--I'm really having second thoughts about this now.

Not quite the same story.

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited December 05, 2010).]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

I should go to the circus more so I can start worrying about being mauled by an escaped lion? Why, when I can stay home and worry about germs instead?

Loins are much more interesting than a boring germ--not to mention quicker.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

n my opinion, one must have a strong and sincere belief in oneself and his/her abilities in order to succeed at anything. When someone enters any pursuit thinking "I might get lucky" or "I might be good enough for that", that person is doomed for failure.
This is not about talent - it is about success.

Got a point there. I never really figured it was a matter of getting lucky. I thought my talent would get me enough fame to keep me being able to publish the books I write. Some extra money on top of that, someday enough to quite my job, and maybe a couple of invites to speak at a Con or two.

Never thought along the terms of Rowlings or even Isaac Asimov, well maybe Asimov.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

quote:

Ok, Yoda Phil, I get it - "Do or Do Not. There is no try."

I was thinking he was living up to what the first part of his name sounded like.

Philosopher

philocinemas
Member # 8108

quote:
I was thinking he was living up to what the first part of his name sounded like.

Philosopher

Philo - is the Greek word for friend (or friendship/brotherly love).
sopho - is wisdom/knowledge
Cinema - is theatre (or movies in todays usage)

I've started going by Philo on other sites as well as using it as my pen name. Hopefully, you'll see it in publications some day soon.

LDWriter2
Member # 9148

So I was close.
eyegore242
Member # 9317

quote:
Who said anything about dying? The horror of disease or being mauled is the transformation into something not the right shape for human.

yea but unless the disease is something that turns one into a zombie or some such then the lion is the far more entertaining of the two. and like ldw2 said it is much quicker.

Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
Enought with the death and lions and disease, please. They are not what this topic is about.
Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.