Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » a question of canons

Author Topic: a question of canons
micmcd
Member # 7977

- posted      Profile for micmcd   Email micmcd         Edit/Delete Post 
Hello everyone - I have a question for the wide and varied experts of this forum. This isn't a major plot point for me, just a detail I don't want to get massively wrong.

How much gunpowder do you need to feed a canon for each shot? I realize the types of canon and types of gunpowder are many and varied, so I'll do my best to be specific:

The level of technology is something akin to the 1880's to 1900's, so it should be decently modern. As for size, a modern clipper (in my world, the level of technology is actually closer to 1930-1940, but guns are less developed for a good reason) has fifteen of these on a dedicated deck. This is not a common armament; ships in my world never carry gunpowder.

My MC has a set of them to prepare to fire exactly once (and all simultaneously), should the need arise. Because I want the story to be interesting, the need does arise. I have him preparing the canons for their single shot, and need to know if he's dumping in a gallon, a whole barrel, or just a little pouch.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
I think 1880-1900 they were mostly using breech loaded shells weren't they? By then cannons were more like fieldguns.

You'd need to go further back for actual gunpowder weights. I know that in the Peninsular War that both British and French artillery used pre bagged gunpowder of various weights dependent on size of gun, type of shot (round, shell and in the specific case of Britain, case shot), and range. You might find studying this period useful.

The quality of the gunpowder would also make a difference. The French lacked a good source of saltpetre and where the British had good quality sources in the the colonies, the French were scraping theirs from latrine walls and cess pits.

Bernard Cornwell is a good read and pretty accurate in his Sharpe books. He gives very detailed accounts of loading and firing a good deal of weaponry.

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited December 10, 2010).] Edited to remove stupid muzzle reference

[This message has been edited by pdblake (edited December 10, 2010).]

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

According to the wikipediaarticle, breech-loaded cannon became popular after 1855, though muzzle-loaders were still in use because of slightly higher reliability and piercing ability.

For my case, I almost certainly intend the ship to be outfitted with a set of breech-loading cannon because speed is of the essence. I haven't been able to conjure up much information on the quantity of powder though.

Posts: 500 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Stern chasers use a few ounces of gunpowder. The bigger the gun, the longer the distances, the more powder.

Powder monkeys usually carried several pounds of powder in a bag and would help supply several cannons. That's why I don't think you would need that much per cannon.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
This is not a common armament; ships in my world never carry gunpowder.

Is your MC knowledgeable about gunpowder? If not, then I would imagine he is in the same predicament that you are and would just guess.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
micmcd
Member # 7977

He's knowledgeable in the sense that he knows he needs X amount of powder to take one shot. He owns the ship, installed the cannons, and has precisely enough to take his surprise shot when needed.

It's a trick he can only do so long as nobody thinks he'd be crazy enough to have exploding powder on a ship. Magic exists in this world, and one of effects on battle is people are loathe to carry flammable or explosive things on their person when a nontrivial amount of the opposing army can point and say "go boom" and they're dead.

Only a fool would have gunpowder on a ship for this reason - so people don't usually think to check. Once anyone knows he's that kind of fool, he can never use the trick again.

micmcd
Member # 7977

Incidentally, he would be in the same boat as me: he'd look up the correct amount. I just haven't been able to get to a library today, and the internet isn't forthcoming about appropriate amounts. Also, I'd rather not be constantly searching for specs on armaments from a work machine.
micmcd
Member # 7977

From what redux says, it looks like the amount would be something on the order of half a pound per cannon. That's a lot less than I thought. Now I just need to look up how big a bang 8 lbs of powder could make to know how dangerous carrying it on his ship (hidden) would be. Of course, the entire deck of cannons is hidden as well - the crew knows about them, but other ships don't.
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
This site might help: http://www.hms-victory.com/index.php?Itemid=89&id=60&option=com_content&task=view
Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
InarticulateBabbler
Member # 4849

- posted      Profile for InarticulateBabbler   Email InarticulateBabbler         Edit/Delete Post 
By then they had prepackaged cartridges, but what size and type of amunition are you using? 8 pounders? 32 pounders? that will make a difference. And, something you definitely need to address: if you fire off ALL of the guns on one side of a boat, it will likely capsize. As for firing them all off at once, just string the lanyards together. There are so many solutions to that particular problem--it's the capsize, taking the swell of the waves into account, judging of the trajectory, weight of the shot. The powder magazines should be a simple thing.

Oh, and it's cannon. one "n" is church canon.

Check this site out: http://www.civil-war.ws/cannons/

and http://www.hazegray.org/danfs/civ_ord.txt <--This is an official record determining the answer to your question.

Posts: 3687 | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.