Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Rangers in Fantasy Fiction

Author Topic: Rangers in Fantasy Fiction
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
In the fantasy I am working on, one of the main side characters is a ranger. I understand in history, rangers played little of a militaristic role in comparison to in rpgs (which I have little to no experience with).

In my novel, I want rangers- or something similar- to act as sheriffs over the rural parts of the country. Any ideas on where I can get additional info beyond typing in medieval rangers into google? Any books where rangers play a predominant role (fiction or possibly nf)? Would there be another king-sanctioned organization that would fulfill such a role? I want knights reserved for foreign affairs, much like our modern military.

Any info or anything related that may be interesting or just darn cool would be appreciated

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
My understanding is that rangers originated in North America - knowledgeable men of the forest, originally involved in the fur trade. The word ranger possibly has close connection to the "coureurs de bois" (runner of woods) of the French fur trade.

Though not traditionally "forest rangers", the history of Texas Rangers is also pretty interesting.

[This message has been edited by redux (edited December 12, 2010).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Aragorn from Lord of the Rings is probably the most famous fantasy ranger.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited December 12, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I was going to mention that there are rangers in published fantasies but Osiris beat me to it.

I think it depends on if you want to model yours after real rangers. If I recall correctly Tolken's were some type of Forest protecters-law enforcement outfit and operated like a para-military organization in today's terms. I forget whose laws they enforced, if any body's.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Yup, his group was called "Rangers of the North" and as LD said they were very 'foresty' types. Your RPG ranger is probably based on Tolkien's depiction of the ranger.
Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Meredith
Member # 8368

- posted      Profile for Meredith   Email Meredith         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I think it depends on if you want to model yours after real rangers. If I recall correctly Tolken's were some type of Forest protecters-law enforcement outfit and operated like a para-military organization in today's terms. I forget whose laws they enforced, if any body's.

Well, since Aragorn was their leader and he was also the true king of Minas Tirith, I suppose they enforced his laws.

I don't know that they did much forest-protecting as in today's forest rangers. But they definitely knew how to live off the land--whether it was forested or not.

Posts: 4633 | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
Aragorn was a Ranger of the North and I believe could talk to birds. It's been a while since I've read the trilogy.

Real world analogs are the Rifle Brigade of the British army circa 1800s. They were mainly used as scouts and sharpshooters. There are also the very famous Roger's Rangers of the French and Indian War. A little later, the Green Mountain Boys of Vermont were roaming around upsetting New Yorkers.

[This message has been edited by redux (edited December 12, 2010).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
I've read about rogers rangers and am also aware of their presence in lotr. I think it is also one of the primary characters that was used in d&d.

It's the best occupation I can figure for a woods-savvy lawkeeper. I just don't want to invent what a medieval/fantasy ranger would entail if there is already some presidence in fantasy lit.

Thanks for the feedback.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
DnD rangers are usually skilled with a bow (or two weapon fighting (double swords, short and long sword, sword and dagger etc), (a Drizzt thing I think) and protectors of the forest with limited magic (like a druid crossed with a fighter). The DnD ranger originated probably with Tolkien as already pointed out, but the Drow Drizzt is the most famous fictional example other than Aragorn. (RA Salvatore writes the Drizzt novels).

Another good fictional example is the Lyonyan rangers in The Deed of Paksenarrion by Elizabeth Moon.

Really though, you can have your rangers do whatever you'd like, I mean, you're the one making them up

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
And let's not forget the Texas Rangers that spawned The Lone Ranger. I know, that's a western and not a fantasy character, but was still the first thing to come to mind for me .
Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KayTi
Member # 5137

- posted      Profile for KayTi           Edit/Delete Post 
There's a middle-grade/YA series called Ranger's Apprentice that seems to feature the type of character you're describing. At first the MC is disappointed that he didn't get a high-profile position in the military, but he soon learns the quieter ways of the Ranger, and the way he can slip through shadows, knows the forest, etc.

It's very popular among the 8-14 year old boys I know. Patrick Flanagan is the author, I believe. I've read the first and it's a good, quick read, pretty standard fantasy stuff but well told. I prefer less standard fantasy stuff so I moved on with other reading instead of reading deeper into the series, but I would recommend the series.

Posts: 1911 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I didn't mean to imply Tolken's rangers were like our forest rangers, even though today's rangers are law enforcers also. But, again if I recall correctly, his did look out for the forest. made sure no one did anything stupid to the trees while in the forest.

And I think they tried to carry out the old laws and rules, Old meaning when there was a kingdom over everything.

But Crystal I think the Texas Rangers and the Lone Ranger are computable-if I use the right word there. Different land-I mean desert-and different weapons but their purpose and organization may well be similar with what we are talking about.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

Thanks, I'll pick up the flannigan novel, since it is the age group I am looking at. Possibly the salvatore or moon novels will be good as well.

As an earlier post mentioned, being fantasy I can craft the occupation how I want, which is nice. I just hadn't read any novels with rangers other than lotr and didn't want to find myself copying it based on my one-dimensional viewpoint. If there is any fantasy you don't want to be accused of copying, it is lotr. ;-)

tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
I think it would be very helpful to stop thinking in either Tolkeinian or RPG terms about what you mean by "ranger".

The examples above show the huge variation in what that term can mean, both historically and in fiction.

Your initial question makes it sound as if you might be advised to look up information about foresters and verderers in medieval England. They were the ones who enforced the laws in the forests (i.e. the King's hunting grounds).

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Crystal Stevens
Member # 8006

- posted      Profile for Crystal Stevens   Email Crystal Stevens         Edit/Delete Post 
Forest rangers here in the USA enforce the law too. They can get into some pretty dangerous situations when it comes to things like poachers.

They also keep trouble makers out of the campgrounds. I heard about a couple of cases where campers drew guns on each other when one man found his wife (girlfriend?) camping out with another man that resulted with at least one person getting shot.

There was another time when some teenagers decided to hike off the marked trails around 2:00 am in the morning with only one flashlight between them. One girl fell off a 20 to 25 foot ledge. They had quite a time finding a way to get her out with multiple broken bones.

So yes, even today's forest rangers face challenges once in awhile that can be very dangerous.

Posts: 1320 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DRaney
unregistered

- posted            Edit/Delete Post 
WC ~ I would back up the comment about RA Salvatore and Drizzt Do'Urden as a great source to understanding an excellent rendering of a Ranger. The Legacy of the Drow series is very good fantasy and follows Drizzt through the process of his training, then into his life as a Ranger.

Likewise Salvatore develops a MC Ranger in the series; The Demon Wars Saga. Also great reading.

IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Interesting discussion and it makes me want to do a novel about rangers in a Fantasy land.

Just thought of something won't that warrior group on Babylon Five called rangers?

That's not Fantasy but same idea I think.

rstegman
Member # 3233

- posted      Profile for rstegman   Email rstegman         Edit/Delete Post 
Also don't forget that there are the US Army Rangers.
If your rangers are like scouts and assassins for the king's army, who RANGE ahead of the force, then the character's special skills would shown.

Posts: 1008 | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
While I think that Tolkien popularized the term "ranger", I don't think you can point to any one source for the concept. Irish and Scottish legends speak of groups of mercenaries/irregulars who lived off the land but also sold or offered their military services to local lords or to the king. There seems to be some historical support for the existence of such semi-mercenary bands, known in Irish as the Na Fianna.

It is probable that irregular or in some cases elite forces skilled in living off the land and in wilderness combat have always existed on the margins of empires. Large bodies of professional soldiers specializing in coordinated battlefield tactics and supported by complex supply chains were the exception rather than the rule.

I'd guess that in a most places where you had landed aristocrats forming a militia (as it did in feudal Europe and ancient Ireland) you'd have some men, particularly younger sons, forming companies that "live off the land", although in most cases that'd amount to banditry. The history of Normans in France has many examples of such companies forming and plundering the countryside, starting with events leading up to the formation of Normandy in the tenth century and the aftermath of Plantagenet campaigns in the fourteenth.

The golden age of piracy on the Spanish Main was a maritime version of this phenomenon. After the War of Spanish Succession, privateers who'd been operating under of letters of marque simply continued business as usual, often forging new letters or obtaining them from friendly government for a price. Jean Lafitte was in this tradition. He was a smuggler and a businessman who underwrote a privateer in the war of 1812, and found it so profitable that he continued to operate under letters of marque obtained (bought) from Saint-Domingue and Cartagena (then a newly independent city-state).

So the "ranger" phenomenon is closely related to banditry and outlawry. Think Robin Hood in his Merry Men, who in the earliest incarnations are quite openly and approvingly depicted as thieves and murderers, but by the time of Sir Walter Scott have become King Richard's irregulars. The relative orderliness of the Celtic ranger phenomenon probably reflects their relatively more advanced civilization.

One side note. I'm of a generation that was taught that Americans won the Revolutionary War because we were smart enough to hide behind trees and rocks while the British stupidly marched along in the open in their bright red coats. That of course is a myth. The force landed by General and Admiral Howe in the New York/New Jersey campaign was an impressively modern one capable of landing large numbers of troops in coordinated maritime and land actions. Howe had units at his disposal which specialized in forest combat, led by men who like Washington had cut their teeth in the French and Indian war. They easily crushed the rebels. Victory slipped through their grasp when they ran out of forage, forcing them into conflicts with the populace as they were waging a "hearts and minds" campaign to win them over. In the absence of fuel, advantage shifted toward guerrilla or "ranger" tactics.

Washington's crossing the Delaware, his surprise attack on the Hessians, and his subsequent string of brilliant tactical retreats is an example of classic "ranger" tactics, emphasizing stealth, surprise and mobility.

[This message has been edited by MattLeo (edited December 17, 2010).]

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
With respect to using rangers as law enforcement for rural areas, that's both plausible and interesting in several respect.

Let's look at how such a thing would come about. One plausible way is that the frontiersman form militias to protect their settlements, and that over time the core of that militia becomes an elite organization, either on its own or by sponsorship from the central civil or religious authorities. This is something like the situation with the Irish rangers.

Another is that the central authorities choose the most cooperative of the bandit bands operating in an area and invest it with authority. Or perhaps the rangers are formed after a war from elite troops specializing in commando tactics.

In Tolkien's world, rangers represent the remains of the aristocratic warrior class after the political administration of the kingdom collapses. Perhaps if we have a dying kingdom, the rangers are the warrior caste of the outlying regions, no longer able to maintain estates but retaining martial and legal traditions as they switch to a non-agricultural lifestyle.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Hey, thanks for the info. It gives me ideas for my sub conscious mind to work on.

I don't think this one would be an epic fantasy, even though that isn't set in stone.

I may do a series of short stories set in a Ranger camp. Two reoccurring characters would be the leader and a new recruit. They will probably left overs from an old empire. They may know martial arts and only carry the larger weapons- swords and bows- when they have to fight.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.