Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » How to carry a shotgun?

Author Topic: How to carry a shotgun?
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I want to have a hunter in one of my stories carrying a double-barrel shotgun. I have seen hunters carry these and they are usually open and in the crook of their arm when they are idling.

Is there a specific term for this method of carrying a shotgun?

Thanks in advance!

-redux

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post 
"Action open" perhaps?

Wikipedia has a long article about shotguns with a photo partway down on the right side showing a shotgun "with the action open."

Posts: 8826 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
My Grandad was a gamekeeper and IIRC that particular position, open, is called 'broken', but that is in the UK, in Yorkshire too and we have some odd words for all sorts of things.
Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
That is for single or double shot shotguns and in the us it is also called broken or broke barrel.

depending on the time frame of your story would depend on what type of shotgun he would use if it is more modern, ie 60's, up then a hunter would more than likely have gone over to an semiauto shotgun for several reasons, less having to reload, less recoil.

single and double shots are now more for home defense and some of the really expensive ones are used for compatition shooting.

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
coralm
Member # 9274

- posted      Profile for coralm   Email coralm         Edit/Delete Post 
Similar to the other responses but with slightly different wording. You can say that a shotgun in that position is broken open.
Posts: 116 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Definitely there are cultural differences at work here - eyegore is probably right regarding the US but I don't even know if semi-automatic (pump action) shotguns are legal in the UK, where the old-fashioned side-by-side is still the hunting (for rabbits or game birds) weapon of choice, as it was in France last time I was there (Sunday morning, you can't move in rural France for men wandering around with a broken shotgun under their arm and a dog at their heels, or so it seems).
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
philocinemas
Member # 8108

- posted      Profile for philocinemas   Email philocinemas         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
...some of the really expensive ones are used for compatition shooting.

When I first read this, I thought you wrote "companion" shooting, and Dick Chaney suddenly popped into my head.

Posts: 2003 | Registered: Jul 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
eyegore242
Member # 9317

- posted      Profile for eyegore242   Email eyegore242         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
When I first read this, I thought you wrote "companion" shooting, and Dick Chaney suddenly popped into my head.

hahaha im not even close to kidding tho, when i was growing up the old man and myself were in a skeet shooting club with the company he worked for. he ended buy a shotgun that cost more that my first car. thats not saying that much but still..

Posts: 55 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to say so sooner - thank you everyone for the feedback

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.