Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » What's the difference between a consulate and an embassy?

Author Topic: What's the difference between a consulate and an embassy?
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know if there is a difference between a consulate and an embassy? Or are they two words for the same thing?

I have a story where I prefer the sound of the word 'consulate', but I want to make sure I'm not misusing it. It is basically an office where a foreign power handles its affairs in the U.S.

Thanks for your input.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
Think of consulates as branches or divisions of an embassy. You'll often find consulates in tourist cities taking care of minor affairs.

An embassy is bigger and at the same time represents the government abroad.

Also, ambassadors are higher ranking officials than consuls.

Hope that helps.

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited December 17, 2010).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
Excellent, thank you. I knew someone here would know.
Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
An embassy is considered the soil of the nation and government it represents and enjoys certain immunities and privileges as a result...a consulate is just an office of said nation or government and enjoys no such immunities.

An embassy is also where the ambassador has his office and / or residence.

You might consider a third possibility, a legation. Embassies are sometimes considered imperial in nature---for example, the United States established none until the 1890s, I think.

Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
There is one is Sarajevo though.
Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
Also, a consulate tends to be more geared towards helping it's own citizens with issues in that country, and can be part of an embassy. For example, when I lost my passport abroad, it was the US consulate that I went to to get a new one. They also deal with other minor things like obtaining visas, etc.

Embassies, on the other hand, are the representative of a country to the host countries government. They deal with the major issues, like human rights issues.

So I think you could say consulates are more for individual citizens, embassies are more for governments.

What you are describing sounds more like an embassy.

[This message has been edited by Osiris (edited December 17, 2010).]

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

Yes, after all of this wonderful information I think I will be using 'Embassy'.

Thank you all.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.