Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Raider Publishing

Author Topic: Raider Publishing
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Did anyone hear about this company before?

http://www.raiderpublishing.com/

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say, "Danger, Will Robinson."

This looks like a vanity press; they're coy about their lineup of authors, telling you to go to their bookstore to check it out. However, if you take the trouble to investigate the titles in their bookstore, many of them are actually published by Tor, Bantam and other well known houses. This means if you weren't a suspicious person (like me), you'd think that writers like Robert A. Jordan and Dan Browne published through this outfit (they don't).

The website also uses language that raises a red flag with me, e.g. "Several of our books have also been considered for literary prizes such as the Dylan Thomas Prize and the Pulitzer Prize for fiction." Anybody who is willing to pay $50 can nominate *anything* for a Pulitzer prize, so being "Pulitzer prize nominated" means *nothing*. The testimonials seemed pitched toward people who feel their manuscripts have been under-appreciated by mainstream publishing. To add another red flag, these testimonials are not very well written.

Now none of this is conclusive. It may be that this is a wonderful outfit that does terrific work publishing unjustly neglected authors. But if I submitted my manuscript and it sailed through the publishing process until suddenly I was asked to front some of my own money, I would not be surprised.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pdblake
Member # 9218

- posted      Profile for pdblake   Email pdblake         Edit/Delete Post 
AW has a long thread on them here:

http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22776&highlight=raider+publishing

Posts: 778 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
I saw a google ad when I went to check my e-mail. Didn't find them on Writers Beware of SFWA so I thought I'd ask.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Osiris
Member # 9196

- posted      Profile for Osiris   Email Osiris         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
We were founded in 2005 by a group of writers who had become jaded with the industry and the poor treatment that authors usually receive

This language also raised a red flag for me. It seems like 'jaded author bait' to me. Seems like they are preying on frustrated writers with the 'we've been there, too' technique.

Posts: 1043 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Stay away from these people.

Their website makes it abundantly clear that they expect to make their money by being paid by authors, and not by readers.

(I particularly liked their boast that the Raider Literary Magazine has a circulation of 28,000... and is "available through approximately 25,000 retailers worldwide". That really doesn't work... and for a measure of the limitless writing talent on display, take a look at their "Spotlight": http://www.raidermag.com/Spotlight.html - it's really quite, quite bad.)

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited December 20, 2010).]

[This message has been edited by tchernabyelo (edited December 20, 2010).]

Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, that's not good at all. (I only made it through the first paragraph, but I don't think the rest of it's any better. The writer could use a five-minute block of instruction re: the first 13.)

Makes me want to start my own "publishing house" so I can pay the bills.

Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.