Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » A Writer's New Year Resolutions

Author Topic: A Writer's New Year Resolutions
Foste
Member # 8892

- posted      Profile for Foste   Email Foste         Edit/Delete Post 
I posted a quite lengthy list of New Year's resolutions and all revolve around writing.

You can also find it on my blog:
http://stefanm.blogspot.com/2010/12/2011-new-year-resolutions.html

1. Write 25 new short stories in 2011

25 is a solid goal, meaning I have to average somewhat of 2 short stories per month. It's a manageable goal if I stay diligent (and NaNoWriMo has shown me that I can.)

For the sake of comparison, here's my list of achievements in 2010:

2 Novelettes
6 Short Stories
2 Flash Fiction stories
1 Novel

Which altogether makes some 98000 words for this year. Put together that would be a goodish length for your average novel but if we run those numbers through the calculator that means that I wrote 268 words per day (give or take). I know I can do more. A lot more. Which brings me to my next point...

2. 1000 words a day

As outlined in Stephen King's "On Writing" I'll write 1000 words a day with one day. Given that the year has 52 weeks that means I get 52 days of rest (this may change though because if I happened to become ill or anything of the sort).
On thing that NaNo teaches you is that YOU CAN DO IT, so I am fairly confident that I can live up to this.

3. Have more submissions out

That will go hand in hand with my "25 stories" resolution. Currently, I am having 3 stories out, but that's not nearly enough. Having 10 stories out for consideration would be a nice start for 2011.

4. Do more critiques

I maybe did a little bit more than 10 critiques this year. Having my stories critiqued, I consider it a point of honor to return the favor (after all, we writers must help each other out).

5. More short story picks and book reviews for the blog

As it is, I have 2 short story picks and no book review posted. Granted, this blog is still in its fledgling state, but I'd definitely like to have more posted.

6. Buff up my science knowledge

In the first half of 2010 I've been somewhat remiss with my non-fictional reading (history and hard sciences mostly). A writer needs to be somewhat of a polymath so there's no time to be slacking around.

7. Organize the files on my desktop computer

I keep my new Acer tidy but the desktop PC... Ugh.

8. Get some credentials

That's a definite must, for every new writer. I have to place my work in the English speaking market, no matter what. I'd often toyed with the idea to start out with small presses but I discarded that thought almost immediately. I'll start with the pro-paying ones and work my way through Duotrope.

9. Learn a new word every day

There're folks like Ernest Hemingway or Clarke Ashton Smith who read entire dictionaries. Me? I am going to take it a little bit easier and aim for a new word every day. Vocabulary increase, ahoy!

Have you got any new year's resolutions that are concerned with writing?

[This message has been edited by Foste (edited December 22, 2010).]

Posts: 628 | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TamesonYip
Member # 9072

- posted      Profile for TamesonYip   Email TamesonYip         Edit/Delete Post 
Foste- for number 9, there's an app for that.

I am not good at making specific goals at this point. Thigns are still constantly changing with new baby and our adjustment, so I am unsure what is reasonable. Having a 2 week old baby at the start of nano, I didn't do it and I am convinced there is no way I could have. In treating writing like job, I would be off 12 weeks anyway.

My goal is to start blogging what I do every week. I figure that will encourage me to do stuff since saying nothing is kind of depressing. I have 4 areas to work on- new stuff, edits, submission and research. I am hoping to just start learning random stuff like reading more on architecture and looking at pics of buildings and stuff. This will give me a more knowledge based world creation. I also am hoping to work out more. While that doesn't seem connected to writing, when I did nano 2009, I was surprised how much better I wrote when I took half an hour to work out first. Get the blood flowing. Also, it helps me be aware of my body and movements which, when describing character movements, helps.

Posts: 232 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
I resolve to be more handsome and charming than ever!

I always say that modest resolutions are the best.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Get published.

I don't want to become a millionaire overnight, I just want to have a good, honest start.

Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, oh, I want to be a millionare overnight!
Please let me write like Stephanie Meyer, oh, please...

In reality, I'd also like to write 1000 words a day. February will be my one year anniversary of starting to write again. I've done one novel (well, nano novel - yikes), and some short stories. Submitted two things. So, how bout double that for the upcoming year: 2 novels, double some short stories and at least four things submitted.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

Stephenie Meyer has some good elements an author can learn from but she's not a bloody miracle worker either.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
I already started on mine.

Increase vocab - a word or more day.

W1S1 - story a week - starts January - but I'm planning it out now.

Wotf Q2 story

The unhuman story challenge.

Took some of the best ideas I've had so far, and reworked them into a whole new mythology - outlined a three book concept - 2011: Write and finish book one- get it published.

Dream a lot-Live a lot-love a lot.

Overall plan for 2011: Be happy.

W.

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 

quote:
Stephenie Meyer has some good elements an author can learn from but she's not a bloody miracle worker either.

The miracle worker would be her agent, Jodi Reamer. She also got the author of MATCHED, Ally Condie, seven figures plus film rights to the book have been optioned by Disney.

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RoxyL
Member # 9096

- posted      Profile for RoxyL           Edit/Delete Post 
In my own defense, I have to say that I was being facetious about wanting to write like Stephanie Meyer. I wish her very well. I can't do it.
I have on occasion succumbed to insanity and tried to write teen romance and it always goes something like this:
Still shivering, I felt the heat of his body as he drew near. His bare skin smelled of sea salt and sweat, his dark eyes full of hidden pain, and I thought I would never breathe again. He reached out a hand to me and I - gacked. Or laughed hysterically until I snorted. Doesn't work for me - at all. Sorry.
And sorry for the derail. Please, get back to resolutions. Much more practical.

Posts: 266 | Registered: Apr 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:

He reached out a hand to me and I - gacked. Or laughed hysterically until I snorted. Doesn't work for me - at all. Sorry.

gacked??? What happened your MC get a hair ball?

Now that would ruin a romantic moment.

Giggle--that prints a humorous scene in my mind.

Actually hate to use giggle but not sure what other word would fit. Very lightly laughed? Soft laughter?

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MikeL
Member # 9138

- posted      Profile for MikeL   Email MikeL         Edit/Delete Post 
1. Ok, I first of all, need to write more per day. I could write 1000 words a day, but lately I have been lucky to even make a few notes once in a day.

2. Next, I need to organize my time better. I need to plan when I am to be at 'work' writing. I need to create a schedule for myself. This schedule will allow me to accomplish my first goal.

3. Third, if I keep to this schedule and write 1000 words a day five days a week, I will finish my novel within five months.

4. Have the finished work edited for grammar and content, then submit to publishers by early fall 2011.

5. Finally, I need to stick to my personal financial budget all year. :0

Posts: 154 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Goals are good even though we shouldn't get them mixed up with dreams.

The difference being what we can control and can't control.

Right now my goal is to finish three novels and to get at least one ready to send in whenever I can.

Second goal is to learn more about writing.

I don't like to set how many stories because it depends on the three novels and if any ideas hit me hard enough so that I have to write the story now. That has happened a time or two. I do want to write some more short stories. One per month should be a goal I can do. When I finish adding on to the Nano novel that will free up more time. Two or three stories per month then.

A third goal is to send out a bunch of stories. I say a bunch because even though I would like 20 or more out, I'm not sure how many I can send out anymore. I'm out of markets for some of them. And it depends on how many new ones I do. I may pack up all the ones I'm out of markets for and try e-publishing them.

Dreams are five plus stories bought and a novel contract.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Grayson Morris
Member # 9285

- posted      Profile for Grayson Morris           Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I resolve to be more handsome and charming than ever!
I always say that modest resolutions are the best.
--MattLeo

Never have I heard a resolution that more perfectly matched the resolver.

I resolve to write and enter a story in WotF every quarter (unless I win in the meantime ;-) ); I resolve to "work on" a novel-length project. I know that last one isn't SMART, but I've got a long history of setting myself up for failure with detailed goals, so I'm looking to motivate myself, without giving up because I've missed a daily word count along the way somewhere.

[This message has been edited by Grayson Morris (edited December 23, 2010).]

Posts: 381 | Registered: Oct 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MattLeo
Member # 9331

- posted      Profile for MattLeo   Email MattLeo         Edit/Delete Post 
With respect to Stephanie Meyers, one thing we should all learn from critiquing manuscripts supportively is not to fall victim to the "halo effect". That's the social psychology phenomenon where we tend to see nothing but good in people we like and bad in people we dislike. The same applies to manuscripts and books.

I read "Twilight", and my impression was that this was a writer who from an artistic standpoint got published to soon. I did not like the book, but that did not stop me from seeing the merits and appreciating the very real talent the author has. The problem is in her craft. Her scene pacing awful, because her dialogue and interior monologues are dreadful, meandering, pointless shambles. Had she lightened these and given them a few ironic flourishes, we might not have noticed all the things about her MC that we now love to hate.

The same goes for Dan Browne, who has the opposite problem. His breakneck plot-twist-per-page formula keeps most readers from noticing the puerility of his characters or ultimate aimlessness of any individual plot turn, which is bound to be swamped by dozens of later plot turns.

People who hate these writers fail to give the devil his due. They assume that these writers are utterly talentless hacks who produce worthless manuscripts that, through some miracle of marketing, become manufactured hits. If only that were possible, then people in the publishing business could focus on finding *good* manuscripts, because if *anything* could be transformed into a commercial hit, why not help a manuscript that's a little better than *Twilight* or *The DaVinci Code*?

The truth is this is the halo effect in action. It is not that these books are great books, or even *good* books. It's that they're *different*, and despite their serious craft deficiencies they offer readers something that better written books don't.

So here's a couple of resolutions to consider.

(1) I will not be so subject to the halo effect in my evaluation of manuscripts and published works. I will see both the flaws in what I like and the virtues in what I dislike, and learn from them.

(2) I will write something that is unique, that stands out from the crowd. I won't just rehash the stuff I am reading, but add something new to it. I will try unconventional things.

Posts: 1459 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
redux
Member # 9277

- posted      Profile for redux   Email redux         Edit/Delete Post 
My New Year's Resolution is to pick up a novel I started writing in 1999 and just finish it. It's been languishing at around 27,000 words. I think it's time I gave it a middle and an ending.

My New Year's Dream is to have Jodi Reamer read it and then start a bidding war with publishers

P.S.
I would like to wish everyone a very merry Christmas!

[This message has been edited by redux (edited December 23, 2010).]

Posts: 525 | Registered: Sep 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NoTimeToThink
Member # 5174

- posted      Profile for NoTimeToThink   Email NoTimeToThink         Edit/Delete Post 
Merry Christmas to all! And here's hoping that I do a better job on my resolutions next year. For writing:

1. Establish and maintain a writing time and schedule
2. Write 5000 words/week
3. Build up to 6 stories in submission rotation by year's end (I have 2 now)
4. Submit 2 WOTF entries
5. Comment on 3 first 13's / week
6. Perform 1 critique/month

Posts: 406 | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pyre Dynasty
Member # 1947

- posted      Profile for Pyre Dynasty   Email Pyre Dynasty         Edit/Delete Post 
My new years restitutions (which seems a more apt word.)

1. Finish the Harrow, I've been dragging my feet far too long on this one, I need to just break that mental block with or without input from my collaborator, then the ball will be totally in his court.

2. Write after work. Light my candle, and do an hour BIC.

3. Get my homework done ahead of time, so I don't have to pull all nighters anymore. (Those things really drain the brain juice.)

4. Submit. No fear.

Posts: 1895 | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lissa
Member # 9206

- posted      Profile for Lissa   Email Lissa         Edit/Delete Post 
Finish my novel by June. (Want it ready for McFarland workshop)

Lis

Posts: 111 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Could you say more about the McFarland workshop? I believe I've heard of it but can't recall it at the moment.

MartinV
Member # 5512

quote:
Had she (Meyers) lightened these and given them a few ironic flourishes, we might not have noticed all the things about her MC that we now love to hate.

We hate her MCs because of all the bad actors that are making success through poor acting.

izanobu
Member # 9314

- posted      Profile for izanobu           Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished reading the entire Twilight series. I can see why they sold a ton of copies, even if there were things that bugged me.

Anyway, New Year's Resolutions:
(I already did a longer version of this on my blog in a couple of posts, but here's the nutshell)
1. write 900,000 words (preferably 1,200,000 so I don't owe a writer friend of mine dinner)
2. get more work up online (goal is 6 short story collections, 13 novellas, and 4 novels)
3. participate in the Write 1 Sub 1 challenge and do it weekly (story a week written and submitted, my view on the challenge is submitting only to pro-paying or prestigious semi-pro paying venues)
4. get a story in to WotF until I win or pro-out (so each quarter until then)
5. write at least two more books for subbing to traditional publishers
6. keep everything in the mail until it sells (or until I decide to put it up online)
7. continue my library challenge and study of long-term selling authors

So yeah. Those are my goals. Wee

Posts: 96 | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

I forgot two of them.

Two dreams that is, not sure how I forgot except it's been a while since I have had the opportunity to think of them.

If it is still possible, good chance it isn't, but I would like to be invited to do a story in David Weber's Honor Harrington universe. And to be invited or allowed as the case may be to do a Bolo story..I just happened to have two in my mind.

Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
My goal is to figure out how to write every day and still exercise, actually finish something I'm writing, work my 8-10 hour a day regular job, spend some time with my wife, read more than my current average of 30 minutes per day, and get in some guitar practice.

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
My goal is to figure out how to write every day and still exercise

I am right there with you Smaug on that one. I wake up early to exercise, which is great, gets me in best shape of my life(thats not saying much)but then hits me on the other end when I crash out at 9 PM at night and am too tired to write. As far as my resolutions well, I am still thinking on those.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
genevive42
Member # 8714

- posted      Profile for genevive42   Email genevive42         Edit/Delete Post 
I believe in two.

1) Write More
2) Get Better

If I can do those, I believe the rest will fall into place.

Posts: 1993 | Registered: Jul 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
I resolve never to make another resolution again. So far I've kept that resolution for the last 10 years and haven't missed a year since.
Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Wordcaster
Member # 9183

- posted      Profile for Wordcaster   Email Wordcaster         Edit/Delete Post 
New Year's resolutions rarely pan out for me. They always end up as a wish to do this more or start doing this, which never pans out on a daily basis for me.

I'm half-way done with a crude rough draft of my first novel - a middle grade heroic fantasy. My goal is to finish the rough draft by Q1 of this year. Finish the 2nd draft by Q2. Finish subsequent draft(s) and start soliciting readers by Q3 and maybe, just maybe, start querying by this time next year.

I am toying with the idea of making a goal of writing NO short stories in 2011. Right now it is just an excuse for me not to complete the writing project I need to finish.

Posts: 475 | Registered: Jul 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Robert Nowall
Member # 2764

- posted      Profile for Robert Nowall   Email Robert Nowall         Edit/Delete Post 
I'm thinking I should resolve to actually finish something...bud didn't I make that resolution last New Year's and failed to finish anything in 2010?
Posts: 8809 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Smaug
Member # 2807

- posted      Profile for Smaug   Email Smaug         Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My goal is to figure out how to write every day and still exercise
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am right there with you Smaug on that one. I wake up early to exercise, which is great, gets me in best shape of my life(thats not saying much)but then hits me on the other end when I crash out at 9 PM at night and am too tired to write.

For years my writing routine was in the morning before my regular job. I had a job (mailman) in which I got a lot of walking in, so I'd do weightlifting after work for about an hour. But my work changed--I'm still delivering mail, but now from a truck. I need to get in the aerobic type stuff--especially since my main hobbies involve hiking, backpacking etc. When I used to walk to deliver mail, it wore me out so much that I didn't like to do my hobbies any more--thus the change. Also, they used to start our shift at 7:00 a.m. so I was able to write for an hour before work, then work, then exercise after. Now that I start at 8 a.m., I have more time before work, but that's when I have to exercise because I get off too late to do dinner (my wife has many health problems, so dinner is my job) and exercise. I can maybe write for half an hour before work, IF I'm disciplined enough, which so far, I'm not. I can't sit down at the computer without checking Facebook or my e-mail etc. I've never been one who could start writing immediately anyway--I have to mess around for a little while, but I think that's just a crutch. So, the bottom line is, I'm going to have to do the lion's share of writing at night, but save some time, maybe a half hour between 9:30 and 10:00 to read.

[This message has been edited by Smaug (edited December 27, 2010).]

Posts: 440 | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PB&Jenny
Member # 9200

- posted      Profile for PB&Jenny   Email PB&Jenny         Edit/Delete Post 
See, that's what I wanted (and got) the digital voice recorder for! All day long I'm either building something, cleaning, washing, moving something, or just out of the house and away from my desk. That wonderful recorder goes with me and I can think of my unfinished stories all day long and record my thoughts and ideas on the recorder. When I get home I spend a few minutes listening to my recorded notes, and presto! I'm off and running on my stories.

I love that thing!

Posts: 365 | Registered: Aug 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tiergan
Member # 7852

- posted      Profile for Tiergan   Email Tiergan         Edit/Delete Post 
Alright I know you all have been eagerly waiting my New Year Resolutions. Alright maybe not, but I had to get my word count up for the day so I will stretch this as long as I can.

New Year Resolutions:

First and foremost be a better Father (more patient with the little ones, more time reading with them at night) and better husband (Doing the little extra things around the house)

Ok now on to the writing goals: The last 2 years have been hard on my writing with the new job taking all the first year, came back this past year, but nothing compared to where I was 3 years ago. I looked at my old journal and I wrote 6 out of 7 days a week. That's where I want to be.

So:

2 novels this year.(I have a head start as I always do on my New Year Resolutions, makes it easier. 1/4 of the way done thanks to the last 2 weeks. The other has the first 2 chapters)

Dreaded agent search.(I bailed on this when real life kicked in. Its time to pick it back up)

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!

Posts: 1168 | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

Oh I meant to say this a couple of days ago.

It might be a matter of semantics but I don't consider goals to be the same thing as a Resolution. Resolutions may very well be goals but I think the mind set and methods of caring them out are different.

Even though I have at times, I don't make resolutions anymore either, just something personal. But this year I am setting writing goals. I think I did last year too but I can't recall what they were so I don't know if I carried them out. I think I would have at least come close to certain ones like word count.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.