Hatrack River Writers Workshop   
my profile login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » introducing several characters at once

Author Topic: introducing several characters at once
RSHACK
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for RSHACK           Edit/Delete Post 
I've reached a point in my story where my MC arrives at a campfire and meets six characters. I can't find a way of introducing them all without boring the reader with endless descriptions. The story has been pretty fast paced so far and I fear doing so would kill the flow. Are there any tricks you've picked up for multiple character introductions or tips I should hear? What works and doesn't for you?
Posts: 33 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
J. N. Khoury
Member # 9361

- posted      Profile for J. N. Khoury   Email J. N. Khoury         Edit/Delete Post 
Does your MC talk to each of the new Chs right away?

If not, just give his general impression of the group (a band of burly, ill-kempt men or a group of motley strangers, their ages ranging from youth to elder, etc.)Until each new ch becomes significant to the MC as an individual, you don't need to worry about describing each one.

Then introduce each individual character only when they become important, such as the first time your MC talks with one or one performs a significant, individual action.

Read this short article on this very topic for more help! http://www.suite101.com/content/the-basics-of-introducing-a-character-a118154

Posts: 74 | Registered: Jan 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LDWriter2
Member # 9148

- posted      Profile for LDWriter2   Email LDWriter2         Edit/Delete Post 
I think what Khoury said sounds good. I add that unless they are all important you may not have describe them all anyway. Not fully anyway.

I'm trying to remember any writers I like to read who has introduced six characters or so, at once but I can't recall any scenes with that many. Which probably means it doesn't happen often.

But if you do try all six in the same scene don't do a talking heads scene. Try action, maybe one butts in or someone is roasting some meat or popcorn or S'mores, or green tailed bright purple spotted, headless lizardoids from planet X on the campfire.

You will probably get some more advice soon from those who have more experience.

Posts: 5289 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
tchernabyelo
Member # 2651

- posted      Profile for tchernabyelo   Email tchernabyelo         Edit/Delete Post 
Why do you feel the need to provide "endless descriptions" of these characters all at once? Provide names and a key trait for at least some of them, then expand on them as they become individually relevant over time.
Posts: 1469 | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
aspirit
Member # 7974

- posted      Profile for aspirit   Email aspirit         Edit/Delete Post 
Walking up to that campfire, what would you do? You'd probably try to remember each name and attach the most apparently meaningful or unique traits of each person to his/her name. Then, you might focus on one person--maybe two people--who you hope will help you interact with the others.

If you feel a need to provide long descriptions at this point, you might need to introduce some of the characters earlier. Maybe the POV character thought two of the characters were following him a week ago, or one tried to make a deal with him before joining with the rest of the group, or he saw half the group start a fight when they were in town together, or something.

What I've done for [i]DeCo[/i/] (novel-in-progress) is limit the MC's focus in each early scene to one of his teammates at a time. Although he notices the other team members and may interact briefly with them, each scene's primary conflict is with only one of them. Later, he (and the reader) knows them well enough that he can focus on several in a scene.

Posts: 1139 | Registered: May 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
BenM
Member # 8329

- posted      Profile for BenM   Email BenM         Edit/Delete Post 
I just had to do this a couple of days ago for my wip; in my case I wanted to introduce the entire (but small) crew of a ship. The easiest way was by way of observation - allowing the captain to observe how the crew interacted with each other, showing how their unique personalities conflicted or caused some humour or tension etc. This way each interaction is introducing two or more characters, and because I'm focusing the reader on some action they're hopefully not getting bored by the fact that everyone's sitting around a metaphorical campfire not doing much. I'm sure it'll get changed about a bit in revision though :)
Posts: 921 | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Natej11
Member # 8547

- posted      Profile for Natej11   Email Natej11         Edit/Delete Post 
A lot of good advice. One thing I could add would be to consider your PoV character. Personally I'm terrible with names, and if I was introduced to 6 people right off the bad my conversations with them would consist of a lot of pronouns and meeting people's eyes so they know I'm talking to them.

If your PoV character has some unique social characteristic it might be nice to handle the introductions with that in mind. Or adding something could be a good way to add further depth to your Pov character.

Posts: 620 | Registered: Mar 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MartinV
Member # 5512

- posted      Profile for MartinV   Email MartinV         Edit/Delete Post 
Since everyone here loves Stephenie Meyer, I will say I've learned an interesting way how to introduce minor characters from her books. The Twilight gang is all there in the beginning but you get to know each one in turn throughout the series.
Posts: 1271 | Registered: May 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RSHACK
Member # 9346

- posted      Profile for RSHACK           Edit/Delete Post 
Marvelous! Each of you provided great advice and its all being applied in some form. The new direction the scene is flowing in is much more realistic now and easy to take in. Thank you all!
Posts: 33 | Registered: Dec 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
walexander
Member # 9151

- posted      Profile for walexander   Email walexander         Edit/Delete Post 
When I worked security (Doorman) for some major clubs. I use to see thousands of people on some nights. People don't realize it but they filter everything down to Alpha people first. That is a person who stands out from the crowd. Usually they are extroverts who speak there minds, and you will classify them as friend or foe almost immediately. Everyone else will just be a blur until you take time to know them. Immediate attraction of the sexes is a factor also. Most people within a second of viewing someone know if they feel an attraction which brings focus onto that person. Lastly traits like - overly smart, arrogant, shy, nervous, aggressive, loud, flirtatious - to name a few. Draw your attention a lot faster than than the majority of people who are right down the middle in everything.

More than likely upon entering a scene with new people. your mc would scan the group in this order- Threat, attraction, leader, then alpha person. Everyone else would just be grouped as a whole as was explained in the above posts.

Example of order of observation:

Jake stopped at the edge of the camp. Firelight illuminated the faces of those who rose to meet him. It was the man to the right of the bedraggled lot with the Colt Peacemakers holstered Cockeyed across his waist that drew his attention. The faded confederate jacket, worn handles of the pistols, and cold look in his eye told Jake everything he needed to know about the man: He was a killer.

His eyes next lighted on the silent woman still sitting in the background. Her face, though bruised, still held a certain beauty.

"Fires open stranger if you wish to join us." said the tall man in the back with the long black beard.

As Jake excepted the invitation he noticed as the tall man sat so did the others, including the confederate. He realized this was the man he needed to talk to.

Of course nothing is set in stone. This is just my 2cent example off the cuff. Experiment and find what works for you. good luck.

W.

[This message has been edited by walexander (edited January 05, 2011).]

Posts: 634 | Registered: Jun 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.