Hatrack River
Home † | † About Orson Scott Card † | † News & Reviews † | † OSC Library † | † Forums † | † Contact † | † Links
Research Area † | † Writing Lessons † | † Writers Workshops † | † OSC at SVU † | † Calendar † | † Store
E-mail this page
Hatrack River Writers Workshop Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Hatrack River Writers Workshop » Forums » Open Discussions About Writing » Q4 Finalists (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Q4 Finalists
JenniferHicks
Member # 8201

- posted      Profile for JenniferHicks   Email JenniferHicks         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What Skadder said.
Posts: 954 | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MAP
Member # 8631

- posted      Profile for MAP           Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on winning Patrick. That is awesome!

And Nick, what you accomplished is amazing. Not many writers ever make it that far.

Good luck to you both.

Posts: 1020 | Registered: May 2009  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Thanks guys. The good thing about writing is that it's not a zero-sum game. I'm sure Patrick is going to go on to a glittering career and it will be well deserved.

Having said that, I won't lie and say that reading the results in this thread wasn't a punch in the guts. It's not easy coming close, especially on the heels of a couple of years of rejections. Still, that's a writer's lot. I'm feeling better about it than a few days ago.

Nick

Posts: 705 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
skadder
Member # 6757

- posted      Profile for skadder   Email skadder         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You found out via the press release? You didn't get a phone call to say you hadn't won?

Surely not.

I doubt this was a flash in the pan, Nick. What may not be obvious to you about your writing will be obvious to KDW. She had already selected my story--the one that had been entered into the following quarter--as finalist, before she was told to pull it as I'd already won.

You'll be a finalist again--winning at that point is a roll of the dice.

Posts: 2987 | Registered: Oct 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kathleen Dalton Woodbury
Administrator
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for Kathleen Dalton Woodbury   Email Kathleen Dalton Woodbury         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's hoping your story is selected as one of the finalists published in the anthology. That alone can be way cool.
Posts: 7804 | Registered: A Long Time Ago!  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nick T
Member # 8052

- posted      Profile for Nick T   Email Nick T         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi Skadder,
I didnít receive a phone call. From what I can gather, one of the winners could not be contacted and they needed to go ahead with the press release. I guess they made the decision not to call so that everyone learned the results the same way.

To be honest, I know that this story is better than the next quarterís and itís the best thing Iíve done by quite a long shot. I had to throw the Q1 story together at the last minute after some ill-advised re-writing. Furthermore, I had formatting problems, so there are stray paragraphs and formatting problems all over the place.

Kathleen, Iíd be happy getting anything published, as long as I donít have to pay for it. Getting published in the anthology would be a huge bonus.

Regards,

Nick

Posts: 705 | Registered: Jun 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rich
Member # 8140

- posted      Profile for rich   Email rich         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, it's still a great accomplishment, Nick. Here's hoping you make it into the anthology.
Posts: 840 | Registered: Aug 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Codeô is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Hatrack River Home Page

Copyright © 2008 Hatrack River Enterprises Inc. All rights reserved.
Reproduction in whole or in part without permission is prohibited.